• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R6 Meta R6 as LCR or 3 KEF R3 Meta

Kurly

Hi all,

I'm going through a very similar ATMOS dilemma too:

Either:
1. R3 sides with R6 centre
2. All three R3 (cheapest)
3. All three R6 (very expensive though)

From what I have read, have the centre as the most expensive quality speaker you can afford then do what you can.

The next problem is finding a single R3 without having to have a pair for the centre.

The R3 comes with port blockers so should be good enough a little nearer walls and it'll start to match the R6 in timber if I mix with option 1.

And yes agree, bass support is a must with these speakers.

Just for references, I'm also going for the rest of the ATMOS speakers as in-wall/ceiling Ci200 QR/QS range. eventually upgrading all to the RR/RS-THX range as money and bargains permit. :)

Eagerly still hunting for any reviews and tests of the R6! :( Anyone own one yet?

exm

Hi all,

Either:

From what I have read, have the centre as the most expensive quality speaker you can afford then do what you can.

The next problem is finding a single R3 without having to have a pair for the centre.

The R3 comes with port blockers so should be good enough a little nearer walls and it'll start to match the R6 in timber if I mix with option 1.

Just for references, I'm also going for the rest of the ATMOS speakers as in-wall/ceiling Ci200 QR/QS range. eventually upgrading all to the RR/RS-THX range as money and bargains permit. :)

Eagerly still hunting for any reviews and tests of the R6! :( Anyone own one yet?

Why not simply go for option 1?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With the way we do bass management changing dramatically with Active room treatment (DIRAC) and the equivalent technology being developed by Trinnov I feel like I would always aim for sealed speakers from now on.

Honestly I would aim for sealed almost all the time for a bass managed setup.

Kurly

Why not simply go for option 1?
Hi,

I'm leaning towards 1 for sure. I forgot to mention, I'm spending a lot on room-in-room soundproofing, so funds are very tight for now, and my path will most probably be to continually upgrade till happy.

Option 2 financially is the easiest and has the benefit of being able to grab a couple of used non-Meta older pairs first, then swap them out for some B-stock etc Metas after.

As the R6 is new, option 1 will be the next best by a difference of about £800. Then if option 3 is going to outclass the other two, it'll be a difference of about £4000, which would be a next year choice I'm guessing.

Kurly

With the way we do bass management changing dramatically with Active room treatment (DIRAC) and the equivalent technology being developed by Trinnov I feel like I would always aim for sealed speakers from now on.

Honestly I would aim for sealed almost all the time for a bass managed setup.
I'm leaning towards sealed too. Will have a couple of SV3000 sealed subs for now, and if purchasing the R3 will seal it too. Thanks

pjn

Seal just the back port I meant. :)
I don't think you need to seal it - it comes with optional foam plugs to adjust the port behavior. Actually sealing it would, I think, result in cabinet resonances.

Kurly

I don't think you need to seal it - it comes with optional foam plugs to adjust the port behavior. Actually sealing it would, I think, result in cabinet resonances.
sorry i meant just that, with the foam plugs :)

Reactions: pjn

exm

sorry i meant just that, with the foam plugs :)

Honestly, if you get the R3s I would experiment with foam plugs or not. I'm not sure why you want to plug the ports unless they're right against a wall.

Kurly

Honestly, if you get the R3s I would experiment with foam plugs or not. I'm not sure why you want to plug the ports unless they're right against a wall.
Thanks - will experiment.

I'm assumed in case they end up too near the walls.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Hi all,

Either:

If you decide to do R3 Meta maybe we can split a pair! I have my eyes on the blue

detrino

Interestingly, the R2 Meta hardly got a price bump over the older R2C -> $1300 -> $1400. With all this talk of plugging the port on an R3, why not go for 3x R2 meta LCR? Two 5.25" drivers have more surface than a single 6.5" driver. Also, what's the benefit of R6 over R2C anyways, if you are crossing over at 80hz?

Edit:
Another interesting fact, according to KEF's website:
R2C F3: 74Hz
R2 Meta F3: 67 Hz

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interestingly, the R2 Meta hardly got a price bump over the older R2C -> $1300 -> $1400. With all this talk of plugging the port on an R3, why not go for 3x R2 meta LCR? Two 5.25" drivers have more surface than a single 6.5" driver. Also, what's the benefit of R6 over R2C anyways, if you are crossing over at 80hz?

Because for 400$ extra you get a speaker for the kitchen.

Top Bottom