• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R500 vs R5

Hello!

I'm wondering how much of a difference there is between the KEF R500 and R5 series? Is it a matter of taste/preference or a very strong difference that is quite noticeable?

A dealer is offering a gently used demo R500 set for the same price as a pair of new R3.

I'm starting out "later in life". my listening will be 80% movies, 20% music. My listening room is small.

I haven't decided if I'll go 2.1 or 5.1 (room limitations, not budget). With a floor stander, I likely will not get a sub.

Once I select a set of speakers, I'll determine what electronics I need

Thank you for any guidance.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A dealer is offering a gently used demo R500 set for the same price as a pair of new R3.
That doesn’t seem like a very good deal? They are new about the same price, at least where I live. I had the R500 a few years, also bought an ex-demo for about € 900. Back then they were the current model. Now not anymore. Output wise they will be comparable to the R3. The R5 is quite a bit larger, and both R3 and R5 have a generation newer Uni-Q. You will need a sub with the R500 for home theater.

The R500 is a fine speaker, but if for the same money you can get the R3, I would do that.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No matter what speakers you pick, you need a sub for movies, and it is highly beneficial even for music. I am even a proponent of running multiple subs, for achieving a smoother in-room bass response, with more headroom for EQ.

As for electronics, Denon X3700H is pretty much the universal answer for a mixed movie/music setup. Decent room correction software, good amp/DAC quality, 11 channel processing, RCA pre-outs, etc. You can pick up a refurb version for $1100 or a brand new one for $1500, both have 3 year warranty.

Jasperous

I've been looking at the two... what's the noted difference on them?
when listening to orchestral music with soft and loud fragments there is more balance, clarity and less distortion. The room is more filled, even when standing outside the line of direct sound. With pop music not so different. Positioning of the R11 is less critical.

Top Bottom