• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GermenRedrum

I have an NHT set up of C4's in the front, C LCR for the center, and the MS Salatalites for the rears powered by a Denon AVR6700 and Kimber Kable 8tc connects. I am really considering going to the KEF R5 Meta with a KEF R2 Meta for the center. There aren't any dealers in Minnesota where I can A/B NHTs with KEF. I have heard the R5 Metas at Best Buy Magnolia, but it's a split (computerized switch) system and the "tech" that set it up was quite ill-informed and clunky at best and he was playing music thru his phone via Bluetooth (nube??) so quality was blah at best.

I love the Atmos feature of the NHT MS Satellites so will most likely keep those. I have seen the tech responses here and was interested in others' thoughts. I know the NHT is a great bang for the buck so thought I would ask.

As a side note, my media is everything. 4k disc movies, streaming movies and music, video games, CDs, etc.

Any help is much appreciated.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
but the title say r5 and the description r5 meta, so...?

Well anyway, how big is the room?

Beave

Major Contributor
I haven't seen detailed measurements of the NHT C4 anywhere. All we have to go on is the C3 measurements on this site.

For the KEFs, we have measurements of the R3 (here and Erin) and the R5 (soundstage NRC) but not the meta versions.

My guess is they are both competently designed speakers, each with subtle pros and cons, and it will come down to your own preference more than anything we could guess.

detrino

Grab the kef r5 (non-meta) from best buy on clearance if you are ok with white or walnut. It will be less than half the price of the meta version.

EDIT: 41% of the price, to be exact, an absolute steal. Not guaranteed they will be in stock tomorrow or even in 1 hour...

OP
G

GermenRedrum

Grab the kef r5 (non-meta) from best buy on clearance if you are ok with white or walnut. It will be less than half the price of the meta version.

EDIT: 41% of the price, to be exact, an absolute steal. Not guaranteed they will be in stock tomorrow or even in 1 hour...
I am a dealer so can get them at cost through my distributor, so price isn't the issue.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Caveat - I haven't heard C4. I have reviewed/measured C3 and currently have a pair (not the review pair; subsequently acquired because I missed them) in use in a secondary system. Assuming C3 and C4 sound substantially the same except C4 plays deeper and louder, the major difference will be NHT has wider directivity (both are quite uniform). So it's ultimately a matter of preference. I could see people preferring either one.

However, IMO KEF's center channel is substantially better. NHT's 2" midrange dome can't play low enough to make the horizontal configuration work, IMO. If you're looking for an upgrade but basically like your C4s, consider picking up one of NHT's M7s to use as center.

Top Bottom