• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef r3 vs Wharfdale Linton 85 (My comparison)

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Kachda did you measure both of your Lintons? I found that the treble performance and mid distortion was quite varied between my two. Whether this is sample variation, or due to the mirror image of the offset tweeters, I don't know.
I didn’t, but the center image is pretty centered and I don’t feel any imbalance, so I think both should be quite similar.

muad

@Kachda did you measure both of your Lintons? I found that the treble performance and mid distortion was quite varied between my two. Whether this is sample variation, or due to the mirror image of the offset tweeters, I don't know.
Check the screws holding the drivers in place. There's been some issues with them coming loose.

dougi

Check the screws holding the drivers in place. There's been some issues with them coming loose.
Thanks @muad, I will do. I did the woofers/mids from the get-go but the tweeters will be more difficult, with having to prize off the grills.

muad

Thanks @muad, I will do. I did the woofers/mids from the get-go but the tweeters will be more difficult, with having to prize off the grills.
I think the mid was the main one. So likely your issue is from something else.

Are the differencea audible?

dougi

No, so not really worth addressing it.....

Tatalor51

I bought them both 10 days ago along with a Denon X3800h and a SVS SB-3000 subwoofer and, after quite a lot of AB switching between them, I definitely prefer the R3. Both were EQ-ed with the MultEQ app, several measurements and saved presets.

Not sure how more detailed, better separation and voices a bit more forward would translate to technical terms but there's an audible difference when switching. Volume is roughly the same, measured by a phone db metter.

And i really prefer the looks of Lintons, they were also 1000 USD with stands included, compared to 1250 USD for R3s with decent stands.

In the end, I will return the Lintons although, if I just listen to them 1 hour, they really sound good. If I only had them, I would be quite happy but, having them both, I can't help prefering the KEFs. They are a 9, Lintons are almost an 8, if I were to grade them.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
I bought them both 10 days ago along with a Denon X3800h and a SVS SB-3000 subwoofer and, after quite a lot of AB switching between them, I definitely prefer the R3. Both were EQ-ed with the MultEQ app, several measurements and saved presets.

Not sure how more detailed, better separation and voices a bit more forward would translate to technical terms but there's an audible difference when switching. Volume is roughly the same, measured by a phone db metter.

And i really prefer the looks of Lintons, they were also 1000 USD with stands included, compared to 1250 USD for R3s with decent stands.

In the end, I will return the Lintons although, if I just listen to them 1 hour, they really sound good. If I only had them, I would be quite happy but, having them both, I can't help prefering the KEFs. They are a 9, Lintons are almost an 8, if I were to grade them.
I guess this shows why a spin can only predict upto some percentage of a speaker sounding good to everyone; beyond a certain level there is definitely individual preference.

Glad you found a speaker you enjoy!

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d think the R3 *with sub* beats a Linton, by spin or preference score (I’m making this assertion without checking, so we’ll see if I’m correct). Alone, the Linton probably has a bit more bass.

Off to see if I’m right.

UPDATE: without sub R3 is 6.5 (8.1 with sub). Linton is 6.0/7.8. Score another victory for measurements (although we clearly don’t have a properly measured volume-match in the listening test)

(edited near 6pm Friday, because I found the 'with-sub' preference score for the Linton at last.)

Last edited:

muad

For whatever reason the elevated treble region of the R3 could be a reason for it being preferred by some people. The preference score doesn't really account for people that like a more forward clear sound.

A more interesting comparison would be the R3 meta and lintons. They're more tonally similar and the metas have a higher score.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For whatever reason the elevated treble region of the R3 could be a reason for it being preferred by some people. The preference score doesn't really account for people that like a more forward clear sound.

A more interesting comparison would be the R3 meta and lintons. They're more tonally similar and the metas have a higher score.
I don’t understand. The preference score favors the R3 already.

Top Bottom