• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 vs Revel M106

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Digging this thread back for some more advice.

I bought the M106 after going back and forth with the R3. What swayed me toward the Revel was for matching LCR, but finding a suitable TV stand is just not working out. I am now considering selling or trading for KEF R3s just so I have the option for a coaxial matching center R2C. I can’t justify doubling the budget for the C208.

Looking for some honest feedback. I understand matching LCR is the preferred, but those who have the R3/R2C combination or even just the R3, what do you think?

Correction: fixed hyperlink

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Digging this thread back for some more advice.

I bought the M106 after going back and forth with the R3. What swayed me toward the Revel was for matching LCR, but finding a suitable TV stand is just not working out. I am now considering selling or trading for KEF R3s just so I have the option for a coaxial matching center R2C. I can’t justify doubling the budget for the C208.

Looking for some honest feedback. I understand matching LCR is the preferred, but those who have the R3/R2C combination or even just the R3, way do you think?
Did we ever see a pic of your system?
TV stand etc?

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Why not buy a single M106 for the center? Cheaper than the C208 and you have the best match across the front.
The issue is I cannot find a media center that works well. I’d love to get another M106. Can’t find a workable solution.

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Did we ever see a pic of your system?
TV stand etc?
No, I’ve never posted a photo. I can show my existing setup, but it’s lacking the speakers while we hunt for a stand we can agree on. Dimensions of the space were in my first post I think.

Correction: post #5.

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
99E775DF-2053-4CE8-BEC7-F8A6B860CAF0.jpeg

Excuse the sparseness. We’ve yet to complete our combined moving-in together let alone hang artwork. We’ll get there.

archerious

It's probably my room but I vastly prefer my Revel m105 over R3.

I'll admit r3 has slightly better detail, but it's like something is missing in the upper midrange to treble area. Also Soundstage sounds more accurate but less fun than Revel m105.

I'll try the R3 in my living room to see if they just need more space to shine.

If that doesn't work out either then perhaps I just subjectively don't like them.

20220728_002828.jpg

steve59

Major Contributor
My experience with kef uniq speakers is they're very easy to get 85% out of, but improvements past that take time, toe in with individual speakers and seat position really make a difference. That said, Revel might just sound better to you.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
It's probably my room but I vastly prefer my Revel m105 over R3.

I'll admit r3 has slightly better detail, but it's like something is missing in the upper midrange to treble area. Also Soundstage sounds more accurate but less fun than Revel m105.
Maybe you just don't like the smoothness in the upper midrange to treble area(?), the rest brightness depend of toe in..., try in your living room as you said, it going to change anyway for the better of worse

Im guessing you have the shadow flare thing ok
Shadow%20Flare.png

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Maybe you just don't like the smoothness in the upper midrange to treble area(?), the rest brightness depend of toe in..., try in your living room as you said, it going to change anyway for the better of worse

Im guessing you have the shadow flare thing ok
Shadow%20Flare.png

Impact of shadow flare thing:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why not buy a single M106 for the center? Cheaper than the C208 and you have the best match across the front.
This is what I do. I've got one M106 as a center between a pair of F206s. It really works for me, but it's only me listening, so dispersion issues don't apply. I've got the S16s as the surrounds. I'm a very happy camper... and all were bought used at great value.

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
D02C401E-B3F1-4786-9F60-B93D8B53974D.jpeg
Finally found a TV Stand we could agree on and could house the third R3 horizontally as a center. Pretty satisfied with the setup. Flipped the left and right speakers upside down to have the tweeters closer in line. May look into some kind of angles monitor pad to point the center a little upward.

Now it’s on to subs, rears, and heights for Auro/Atmos. Still trying to decide on rear speakers for very close proximity to the listening position. Less than ideal, but nothing I can do about that.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 244071Finally found a TV Stand we could agree on and could house the third R3 horizontally as a center. Pretty satisfied with the setup. Flipped the left and right speakers upside down to have the tweeters closer in line. May look into some kind of angles monitor pad to point the center a little upward.

Now it’s on to subs, rears, and heights for Auro/Atmos. Still trying to decide on rear speakers for very close proximity to the listening position. Less than ideal, but nothing I can do about that.
Two or three rubber angled door stops work well also for a quick check

djigibao

View attachment 244071Finally found a TV Stand we could agree on and could house the third R3 horizontally as a center. Pretty satisfied with the setup. Flipped the left and right speakers upside down to have the tweeters closer in line. May look into some kind of angles monitor pad to point the center a little upward.

It's a pity that the speakers are not on the stands.
Why not buy some speaker stands?
There is enough space for them and the sound will get a lot of improvement.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I agree with my previous poster.

Get some stands and place them further apart. Aim for a unilateral triangle.

Plus having all your speakers on a cabinet will create resonances as well as interference effects with top and front of the cabinet which will audibly deteriorate the sound of the otherwise excellent R3s.

Last edited:
OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Jeez, take it easy on me, guys. We’re very pleased with it.

There is not as much space on either side as you think. The cabinet is long and DENSE and have no issues with resonances thusfar. Right speaker would be blocked by the desk/chair and left speaker would impede a high traffic hallway. Better than no speakers at all for the remainder of our lease.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jeez, take it easy on me, guys. We’re very pleased with it.

There is not as much space on either side as you think. The cabinet is long and DENSE and have no issues with resonances thusfar. Right speaker would be blocked by the desk/chair and left speaker would impede a high traffic hallway. Better than no speakers at all for the remainder of our lease.
Most have to find some sort of compromise in domestic living situation. And of course everyone needs to find the personal sweet spot. You asked, you got answers.

To detect resonance of other weakness and finding the best compromise, getting a UMIK1 (ca 100USD) plus REW (free) is probably the best bang for sound buck you can spent if you are interested.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
getting a UMIK1 (ca 100USD) plus REW (free) is probably the best bang for sound buck you can spent if you are interested.
You Doods/Doodettes covered PEQ already right? because that's usually free and is good too.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You Doods/Doodettes covered PEQ already right? because that's usually free and is good too.
Sorry don’t know what you mean. Who is Doods/Doodettes? Maybe I missed it. Apologies then.

Top Bottom