• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R3+ sub is this a good plan?

Ciobi69

Hello everyone i did find an used pair of R3 for 950 euros and i am very tempted to bite the apple right now they maybe become my stereo listening setup alongside my 5.1 setup, i could use my subwoofer for the R3, it's an 18 inch sealed subwoofer, a true beast, and i have Dirac live on my receiver, my question is does the R3 paired with a sub with the filter at 80hz with Dirac live is a good plan? Did any of you use Dirac with this speaker? What are your subjective opinion? Thanks!!!

I did read Soo much about those speakers that i need absolutely a pair. Lol

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I recently got R3 to replace DBR62, posted some impressions at my thread, including Dirac Live use with it. I definitely need Dirac to customize R3 with preferred target curve - reduce treble a bit for near-field and boost bass which they take really well. I do enjoy them without subs when calibrated such (although will add the stereo subs soon).
I’m a Dirac fanboi, it’s a game changer in sound quality, ease of use and customization. Impatiently waiting for my Onkyo TX-RZ50 with Dirac to arrive to apply it to my 7.4.4 home theater.

OP
C

Ciobi69

I recently got R3 to replace DBR62, posted some impressions at my thread, including Dirac Live use with it. I definitely need Dirac to customize R3 with preferred target curve - reduce treble a bit for near-field and boost bass which they take really well. I do enjoy them without subs when calibrated such (although will add the stereo subs soon).
I’m a Dirac fanboi, it’s a game changer in sound quality, ease of use and customization. Impatiently waiting for my Onkyo TX-RZ50 with Dirac to arrive to apply it to my 7.4.4 home theater.
I've read your thread sounds like you love that speaker !

OP
C

Ciobi69

how do you like them soundstage wise? do they recreate a good scene? i have 2 old towers from canton, too me soundstage wise they lack soo it was the main reason to buy the r3

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
how do you like them soundstage wise? do they recreate a good scene? i have 2 old towers from canton, too me soundstage wise they lack soo it was the main reason to buy the r3
I’ve tested them only near-field - soundstage is tall, deep, holographic and “coherent” as in “not bent in any way”, but narrow - mostly between the two speakers. I’m certain it can be improved further with proper positioning away from walls, etc.

itz_all_about_the_music

To move lots of air one needs a large(r) device with long(er) excursion capability. And, of course, it depends upon the volume and the aspect ratio of the room. Simply physics. So yes. At least one sub, more better.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Hello everyone i did find an used pair of R3 for 950 euros and i am very tempted to bite the apple right now they maybe become my stereo listening setup alongside my 5.1 setup, i could use my subwoofer for the R3, it's an 18 inch sealed subwoofer, a true beast, and i have Dirac live on my receiver, my question is does the R3 paired with a sub with the filter at 80hz with Dirac live is a good plan? Did any of you use Dirac with this speaker? What are your subjective opinion? Thanks!!!

Yes. This is a very solid plan. Execute it immediately!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your plan is excellent. My plan was a pair of LS 50 Metas, an SVS SB2000 sub, and Dirac Live running on my PC. I have carried it out, and I'm very pleased with the results. Your results should be very good as well.

ferdybossy

The R3 sound much better than the price tag. But as with all high-end equipment, it doesn't sound perfect right away. Have them ;-), but make sure you have an amplifier with sufficient power, preferably 2 x 180 Watts. If the speakers demand more power than can be supplied, the amplifier will clip (distortion) and the mid/high speaker will blow. If you listen to music with a lot of bass, then it is wise to also purchase one or two active subwoofer(s). KEF makes them too. Don't own the KEF subwoofers, have (much cheaper) two KRK 12S not because I like BOEM BOEM, but want to hear it low, from the concert grand for example. It sounds fantastic.
Do not forget that these KEF R3 can only be heard when the other equipment is better than average. If you don't hear a difference between 320kb/s or lossless, then the other equipment is not capable of delivering this quality. Have fun listening.

PS it's an odd sight though, under the SUB and between the KRK12s and the R3 light Styrofoam. Just sounds much better, don't laugh, just try.

Top Bottom