• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R3 + Stand or R7 ?

djankie

Hi all,

I've been listening through some speaker sets a few weeks ago. I thought that the KEFs sounded great to me (in the store). My choice is something within the Kef R-line. I'm not sure what the best choice would be in my situation (see picture here below also) which is as follows:

- Room size (theater part): 4m x 5m
- Current subwoofer SVS PB 3000
- Listening Volume: Mostly: low/medium and sometimes a bit high
- Movies/music: 70/30%
- Currently 2.1, might upgrade to 3.1 or / 5.1 in the near future. Depends on WAF

As I already have more then enough Bass with the SVS PB 3000. I'm not sure if a R7 would justify the costs (1000 euro more). What do you think?

1619350894225.png

raindance

Major Contributor
You'll need extensive EQ to resolve the bass issues due to both the speaker location and the seating location. So get the one with the least bass.

moscoe

Kef R3 all the way. I’d argue it’s a better speaker than the R7 when properly integrated with a sub.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here are the spins (from Speaker Data 2034):
R3
Spin - KEF R3 (2018).png
R7
Spin - KEF R7 (2018).png

Both look excellent, the R3 perhaps a bit better (bass extension not taken into account). I would go for the R3 and consider adding a 2nd sub. You have more control over room modes with 2 subs. But only if you have the freedom to place the subs optimally.

If I can give another small piece of advice, I would pull the sofa off the back wall, so that the listening distance is closer to 3m. You get away from the harmful back-wall reflection and bass build-up. And while you didn't specify how far apart the speakers are placed it seems they are 3m or less. Moving the sofa closer would bring you closer to an equilateral triangle setup.

Hon

This is a very personal decision. And I think it should center around the question of how you want to spend your money for the differences in price, performance, and use/pleasure that you will derive from the final configuration. The 7's cost twice as much as the 3's where I come from (but the 3's will need stands). The 7's seem to have a clear advantage in bass performance, going by KEF's specs for distortion (i'm extrapolating the bass) and lowend reach. But is it a difference that matters? Based on your listening preferences, I don't see how it could, especially with the SVS sub and the thought of going to 5.1 in the future, with movie usage as more than two thirds of your playing content. For what it's worth, I have R3's and am very happy with them; I do have some subs lying around but I'm not much of a fan of subs for my personal listening situation/preferences--or in general, for that matter.

gonzoucab

The stands...

mr.k

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but...I have almost identical orientation of living room and speaker setup as OP, and there is one thing that bothers me.
Obviously, left speaker (from listener perspective) is next to the wall, while right speaker has no wall near (wall is far away, in fact).

While listening, there is always feeling of big, empty space, without sound on the right of listening position...well, there is big empty space on the right, afterall :)

Is it because there are no wall reflections on the right?

How to overcome this "emptiness"?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The R7's should be able to play louder due to the second woofer. I don't believe Kef's specs. I would also move the sub to the middle of the wall on the left side of the LP. SVS subs have some delay due to their DSP and this gets the sub closer to the LP.

OP
D

djankie

both look excellent, the R3 perhaps a bit better (bass extension not taken into account). I would go for the R3 and consider adding a 2nd sub. You have more control over room modes with 2 subs. But only if you have the freedom to place the subs optimally.

If I can give another small piece of advice, I would pull the sofa off the back wall, so that the listening distance is closer to 3m. You get away from the harmful back-wall reflection and bass build-up. And while you didn't specify how far apart the speakers are placed it seems they are 3m or less. Moving the sofa closer would bring you closer to an equilateral triangle setup.

Unfortunately this is not possible (to move the couch from the wall). As this is the living room (WAF). We had a "discussion" today and it seems that having stands is no more feasible due to kids running aroudn the house... and therefore I have to rule out the R3.

I think with the current floorplan and already having a subwoofer perhaps I should go with the R5 ( I can get the R7 for almost the same price as the R5, therefore I didn't even consider the R5).

could also move the sub to the middle of the wall on the left side of the LP.

What do you mean with LP

AudioSQ

If you fill the stands with sand and stick the speakers on them with blue tack.. they aren't really any more likely to topple over than towers and the speaker aren't getting knocked off.

wgb113

If you can get the R7 for roughly the same price as the R5, I’d go with the R7.

Astroboydivx

I see you’re in Europe. I know you didn’t ask, but I preferred the Focal over Kef sound. Have you listened to the aria 948 or a Kanta?

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see you’re in Europe. I know you didn’t ask, but I preferred the Focal over Kef sound. Have you listened to the aria 948 or a Kanta?
My Focal dealer told me that the Aria series isn't manufactured anymore. Kanta would be well over Kef money.

fraa

What Hi-fi’s review of R5 says that it is somewhat lacking “when it comes to rhythmic precision or the ability to express dynamic nuances with conviction.” What does it mean? Is it something that can be measured?
They also says that the R3s deliver “a clearer and more expressive performance.” Since other than the “rhythmic precision” they are pretty enthusiastic about R5, this must be what makes R3 better than R5 in their eyes (or ears).
They don’t review R7 or R11. Would the same issues make them inferior to R3? As R3 is the only model reviewed here, I am worried because I want a floorstander.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll need extensive EQ to resolve the bass issues due to both the speaker location and the seating location. So get the one with the least bass.

you always need EQ to manage sub-bass frequencies, might as well get the beefier speaker with more headroom.

Top Bottom