• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My speaker is R7.

R7 has some dips around 2-3 khz.

I can’t find general R7 thread on the forum so i wrote here to get some help.

My bad I didn't see that. If you're using the official Kef whitepaper measurements make sure to take into account the early reflections, I do see what looks like a slight dip in the listening window of the R7 but since the early reflections are smooth in that area it will fill in that dip at the listening position. You can experiment with EQ but I would compare all the changes you make with no EQ to make sure the difference is positive.

eyes-on-you

My bad I didn't see that. If you're using the official Kef whitepaper measurements make sure to take into account the early reflections, I do see what looks like a slight dip in the listening window of the R7 but since the early reflections are smooth in that area it will fill in that dip at the listening position. You can experiment with EQ but I would compare all the changes you make with no EQ to make sure the difference is positive.

I have non-symetrical listening room. I set my speakers full toe in; triangle to avoid the ER as much as possible.

eyes-on-you

You’ll need to lower the gain by about 1.5dB
Also you should not need three of those. There are AU components that let you do all EQ at once (and also set propper bandwidth or Q).

I hope I'm not offending you, my last question :)

How did you calculate that the global gain should be -1.5 db?

If I increase certain frequency, I need to decrease the global gain same amount ?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How did you calculate that the global gain should be -1.5 db?

If I increase certain frequency, I need to decrease the global gain same amount ?

Indeed. to quote myself:

Above AUBandEQ has a global gain setting. set that to - the highest gain for starters.
In your case that is 1.5 dB. If you still hear clipping try another - .5 dB

eyes-on-you

I haven't had the R3 for a bit but I still have my PEQ filters that were tweaked over months of actual listening and tweaking so I personally think they are better than the automated filters that are going around. I use Equalizer APO with the Peace addon so can't help with the audionirvana settings. Those filters aren't going to be any good though, you don't want to boost around 3k, that is actually right around the area where there is some harshness as also confirmed by Erin during his review. Once you figure out how to apply the PEQ I would try these filters, it makes the R3 sound very smooth and much better than in original form.

View attachment 133589

Dear Aaron,

I tried now on R7 and i am very impressed the results. I think it’s work with the R7 very well according to my subjective impressions.
If you look at the older posts here, R7 & R3 share similer in room response.

Thanks a lot.

Local time is too late here so i can’t boost the volume too much but i think it’s so much better.

How did you discover these settings? Do you have any recommendation for R7?

Last edited:

aarons915

Forum Donor
Dear Aaron,

I tried now on R7 and i am very impressed the results. I think it’s work with the R7 very well according to my subjective impressions.
If you look at the older posts here, R7 & R3 share similer in room response.

Thanks a lot.

Local time is too late here so i can’t boost the volume too much but i think it’s so much better.

How did you discover these settings? Do you have any recommendation for R7?

I used the Klippel measurements and made filters to flatten the listening window and make the early reflections smoother. They should be close to the R3 but they appear to have some differences based on the whitepaper measurements. It would be best to go off Klippel measurements but someone would have to send an R7 in to Amir or Erin and I know that wouldn't be cheap. Using an in room MMM measurement would be a decent choice as well for the highs above about 1kHz.

eyes-on-you

I used the Klippel measurements and made filters to flatten the listening window and make the early reflections smoother. They should be close to the R3 but they appear to have some differences based on the whitepaper measurements. It would be best to go off Klippel measurements but someone would have to send an R7 in to Amir or Erin and I know that wouldn't be cheap. Using an in room MMM measurement would be a decent choice as well for the highs above about 1kHz.

Today, i invite my friend with his umik mic to get measurements.

Here is my R7 measurements without any EQ/DSP.

Listening position.

Is there any EQ suggestion?

Attachments

• 7D29293E-447F-4876-85FA-8F5305151C18.jpeg
    7D29293E-447F-4876-85FA-8F5305151C18.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 238

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At that vertical scale, anything looks flat. But is that about a 12-dB hump in the middle 40's and a 10 dB valley in the low 60's?

Try displaying the graph over the range of 60-90 with 5-dB divisions, or something like that, to spread that curve out so you can really see stuff you can hear.

Rick "the distortion graph is interesting, too" Denney

bo_knows

I'm the beginner, so I don't know how to make settings. I'll upload the measurement file for you.

Here is the measurements link:

https://we.tl/t-teeJFexBbU
I took the first file called hot spot and created a diagram.
It looks very good. It would be cool if you can add the room dimensions or some pictures.
As I said before, I would not bother with some minor upper-frequency adjustments when you have a "bigger" problem in the bass region.

Attachments

• Ali FR in room called hot spot.jpg
    Ali FR in room called hot spot.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 183

eyes-on-you

It looks very good. It would be cool if you can add the room dimensions or some pictures.
As I said before, I would not bother with some minor upper-frequency adjustments when you have a "bigger" problem in the bass region.

Thanks bo_knows,

It’s very helpful.

Actually, i have non-symetrical room but me & my friend did DIY acoustic tratement for my room long time ago.

Pictures attached.

Spekars placed as triangle; 228 cm.

Attachments

• D8071906-3070-4FDA-8522-BBEAD2EB9CFF.jpeg
    D8071906-3070-4FDA-8522-BBEAD2EB9CFF.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 180
  • F4FC680F-E669-42C1-AA7C-AECCD97D3AC1.jpeg
    F4FC680F-E669-42C1-AA7C-AECCD97D3AC1.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 209
  • C8087631-57C7-4474-A624-5FFDD2FF1CC5.jpeg
    C8087631-57C7-4474-A624-5FFDD2FF1CC5.jpeg
    858.5 KB · Views: 212

bo_knows

Attachments

• Ali waterfall in room called hot spot.jpg
    Ali waterfall in room called hot spot.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 106

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks to me like the big traps are making the room dead under 30 Hz, but you have ringing at 45-48 Hz and it's dead again at 80-100 Hz. There is another apparent mode at around 130 Hz.

I would probably remove some of those bass traps in the corners and see if the room will start to reflect some of that 80-100 Hz bass. Also, subwoofer (or another sub), properly placed, might balance out the ringing at 45 Hz with the suckout at twice that. But I'm rather thinking you have a bit too much absorption.

I also see a dip between 800-1000 Hz, which is right at the upper limit of what I would try to EQ out without knowing the anechoic data for those speakers. But I might still nudge it up in that region and then listen.

That's just what I would do. I see the deep bass deadness on the waterfall as much as on the frequency response. Usually, the ring (the part of the waterfall diagram that comes out at you) is more pronounced at those frequencies, not less. I'm not used to seeing no ring at all in the deep bass, and that's why I think it's overdamped with bass traps. The diffuser works at higher frequencies, but it's diffusing an echo, not absorbing anything, so those frequencies are still allowed to decay naturally in the room. Not so the deep bass (except for the resonant mode at 45).

I don't do Roon, but somebody does, I'm sure. But that's what I'd be experimenting with no matter what equalization tool I used.

Rick "who'd do a little mirror testing with straight left and curved right wall first reflections, too" Denney

flipflop

It looks to me like the big traps are making the room dead under 30 Hz
No, that's just how the speaker behaves. Please see the spin data posted on the previous page.
I don't do Roon, but somebody does, I'm sure. But that's what I'd be experimenting with no matter what equalization tool I used.
Roon can handle IIR filters. If no one else wants to provide him with some, I'll do it tomorrow.

bo_knows

Thanks bo_knows,

It’s very helpful.

Actually, i have non-symetrical room but me & my friend did DIY acoustic tratement for my room long time ago.

Pictures attached.

I figured you had to have some room treatments in place since FR looked very good.
I assume walls are made out of concrete. Correct?
See my comments on the attached picture.
By the way, if anything you don't have enough bass absorption material in the room.
Traps on the picture are not doing anything for your bass problem, they are up against the wall with no air gap behind them.
If you want a broadband absorber, you need to make it at least an 8-inch thick and with an air gap behind it. They need to work on the quarter length of 100 Hz and above. Even the largest anechoic chambers are struggling to get rid of bass wavelengths below 50Hz. Keep that in mind.

It’s very helpful.

Pictures attached.

Spekars placed as triangle; 228 cm.[/QUOTE]
Thanks bo_knows,

It’s very helpful.

Pictures attached.

Suggestion.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom