• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

JRiggs

(Timing of) Plans to update the R3 with new UniQ driver?
Seems like KEF would naturally replace/update the R3 with the newer UniQ driver and cornmaze style dispersion device from LS50 Meta to all of their line. Any idea on if and when that might happen?

Welcome. KEF seems to update their lines every 7-9 years or so. The current R series, including the R3, was last updated in 2018. If history is an indicator, I would not expect the R3 to be updated any time soon. Of course this has been a topic of much speculation since the release of the LS50 Meta.

As far as amps...I can say that I am more than happy with Parasound Halo driving my R3.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Welcome. KEF seems to update their lines every 7-9 years or so. The current R series, including the R3, was last updated in 2018. If history is an indicator, I would not expect the R3 to be updated any time soon. Of course this has been a topic of much speculation since the release of the LS50 Meta.
The LS50 came out 2012 and was updated 2020, the KEF R300 (before R3) I think was released in 2011, and the series has just been updated. So yeah I agree. Probably not. I wonder when the Reference 1 will get the Meta?

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The LS50 came out 2012 and was updated 2020, the KEF R300 (before R3) I think was released in 2011, and the series has just been updated. So yeah I agree. Probably not. I wonder when the Reference 1 will get the Meta?
Something like a mark II or totally different look?

Descartes

Major Contributor
Just auditioned these today against a variety of options at my local shop.

Below are my notes and a few questions.

OBSERVATIONS & COMPARISONS

KEF R3
  • Enveloping sound.
  • Detailed guitars and mid-bass vs all 2-way speakers
  • Brighter and sweeter acoustic piano
  • Excellent drum detail for toms and cymbals
  • Better cello details
  • Ability to hear all details of instruments when multiple are playing at the same time.
  • Synths represented well - only one speaker did that better.
  • A bit bright with chimes
  • Good Sax. Not great
  • Bass a bit smothered by other instruments at times
BW706s2
  • Not as big bass and balance of instruments v KEF
  • Good mid-bass
  • Not as balanced or full sounding as KEF
  • slightly better detail in highs and high bass

ELAC DBR62
  • Surprisingly good mid-bass
  • Vocals strong
  • Good balance
  • Cymbal details were better with KEF

ELAC Vela
  • Good detail, but not as full or enveloping
  • Horns in jazz tunes are better detailed
  • Piano chords presented in good detail
  • KEF was more immersive and enveloping
  • Clean direct and punchy
  • Fast details - drum licks and synths
KEF LS50 Meta
Good detail but significantly missing in mid-range and mid-bass
Had to try harder and a lot of detail and soundstage lost vs R3

QUESTIONS

What other options should I consider at this price range or below that are not floor standing models?
I noted that this does not have the top Pink Panther rating, so there must be something considered better.

Is there an amp pairing summary somewhere?
I noted a few amp suggestions above and would appreciate suggestions.

(Timing of) Plans to update the R3 with new UniQ driver?
Seems like KEF would naturally replace/update the R3 with the newer UniQ driver and cornmaze style dispersion device from LS50 Meta to all of their line. Any idea on if and when that might happen?

Thank you!

I've been reading here for a while and only recently created an account and this is my first post.
I appreciate all who have contributed to get me to this point.

From what I can read I would go with the KEF R3 it seems they are the ones you enjoyed most! Try Revel M16 next then so you can compare it with a top rated speaker as well!

bryanl9581

Forum Donor
From what I can read I would go with the KEF R3 it seems they are the ones you enjoyed most! Try Revel M16 next then so you can compare it with a top rated speaker as well!

I would also look at the Focal Aria 906. It compares well against the R3 (in my inexperienced view).

ListenNLearn

Thank you for the suggestions to check out the Focal and Revel.
I will read back through the. 50+ pages to figure out what I need.

Currently I have zero equipment - I've been using powered monitor Klipsch R51PM paired with an SVS 1000 sub.
I know some have suggested the Hegel 190 (or 120) which has a DAC and streamer.
Is this the way or are there better options around the same price or lower of either combos like the Hegel or separates?

Are there places where info like this gets summarized so I don't clutter up the thread or is it just a matter of digging thru the threads?
Thanks.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Thank you for the suggestions to check out the Focal and Revel.
I will read back through the. 50+ pages to figure out what I need.

Currently I have zero equipment - I've been using powered monitor Klipsch R51PM paired with an SVS 1000 sub.
I know some have suggested the Hegel 190 (or 120) which has a DAC and streamer.
Is this the way or are there better options around the same price or lower of either combos like the Hegel or separates?

Are there places where info like this gets summarized so I don't clutter up the thread or is it just a matter of digging thru the threads?
Thanks.
You can use this tableau view to filter for what you need

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

Filter under 'Device Type' for what you are looking for, and see which ones are recommended by Amir. You should also see prices for most of them, along with a link to Amir's review when you click on an item.

SlowCar

What to choose - R7, R3 with sub around 1k$ or LS50 Meta also with sub/s?

JRiggs

I agree. The meta are not magic. They reduce some distortion which could also be dealt with by EQ in the original LS50.
The LS50 of all varieties are asking a LOT of that 5.25 woofer. In the R3, the only have to account for 400Hz up to the tweeter crossover. Even with capable subs you are putting a lot of stress on that little woofer. The more it moves (excursion), the more it effects the tweeter because it also doubles as a wave guide for the tweeter.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I agree. The meta are not magic. They reduce some distortion which could also be dealt with by EQ in the original LS50.
The LS50 of all varieties are asking a LOT of that 5.25 woofer. In the R3, the only have to account for 400Hz up to the tweeter crossover. Even with capable subs you are putting a lot of stress on that little woofer. The more it moves (excursion), the more it effects the tweeter because it also doubles as a wave guide for the tweeter.

I thought it was magic like ferry dust! :)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The meta are not magic. They reduce some distortion which could also be dealt with by EQ in the original LS50.
These are two different issues, Meta improved both the frequency response of the original LS50 which could be corrected to a significant part with EQ but also reduced the driver distortions something which cannot be corrected with EQ.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How does the new kef compare to a genelec 8050? Anyone had both?
It's difficult to compare a active speaker with a passive speaker but the genelec goes lower thanks to his 8 inch driver

I find this a rather interesting question for selfish reasons :p. A second-hand pair of Genelecs cost about the same as a new R3's. I don't really care too much about active vs passive. I have more than enough amps around to power the KEF's. A big advantage of the active system is the protection that comes along with it. But I rarely play up to the limit, so not that big of a deal. I also don't need GLM, since I also have some DSP's at hand and enough tools to make proper use of them. Frequency response wise after EQ there is not that much of a difference. I'd say the Genelec is a bit smoother in DI, and a bit rougher in overall response (dashed line is the Genelec) (this includes EQ). Yes, bass droops for the KEF, but EQ and a sub will help. Obviously, the KEF has better overall directivity due to the coax nature.
1620375024867.png

Distortion wise it's a bit hard to compare. The R3 distortion was measured at 105 dB, while the Genelecs were at 96 dB. At first glance, it looks like the KEF is doing worse below 200 Hz, but if you lower the 1 to 1.5% with 10 dB, you'll get to roughly 0.3 to 0.5 %, and even at 100 Hz, it would be below 1% at 96 dB. Not as good as the Genelec, but also not that bad. Above 200 Hz it's clearly superior distortion wise. I will be using a sub anyway for below 80 Hz.

Looks-wise, I quite like both. My wife likes the KEF's better though. We have the R500's now but want to go rearrange the setup. Bookshelves just fit better in the new arrangement.

bo_knows

I find this a rather interesting question for selfish reasons :p. A second-hand pair of Genelecs cost about the same as a new R3's. I don't really care too much about active vs passive. I have more than enough amps around to power the KEF's. A big advantage of the active system is the protection that comes along with it. But I rarely play up to the limit, so not that big of a deal. I also don't need GLM, since I also have some DSP's at hand and enough tools to make proper use of them. Frequency response wise after EQ there is not that much of a difference. I'd say the Genelec is a bit smoother in DI, and a bit rougher in overall response (dashed line is the Genelec) (this includes EQ). Yes, bass droops for the KEF, but EQ and a sub will help. Obviously, the KEF has better overall directivity due to the coax nature.
View attachment 128463
Distortion wise it's a bit hard to compare. The R3 distortion was measured at 105 dB, while the Genelecs were at 96 dB. At first glance, it looks like the KEF is doing worse below 200 Hz, but if you lower the 1 to 1.5% with 10 dB, you'll get to roughly 0.3 to 0.5 %, and even at 100 Hz, it would be below 1% at 96 dB. Not as good as the Genelec, but also not that bad. Above 200 Hz it's clearly superior distortion wise. I will be using a sub anyway for below 80 Hz.

Looks-wise, I quite like both. My wife likes the KEF's better though. We have the R500's now but want to go rearrange the setup. Bookshelves just fit better in the new arrangement.
How do you like your R500 in comparison to those two speakers? Do you have any measurements done with R500?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you like your R500 in comparison to those two speakers? Do you have any measurements done with R500?

I can't comment on either R3 or Genelec, otherwise, I would not be asking ;). The R500's are not bad actually. They are also a bit bass-shy and are definitely not as flat as the R3/Genelec. DSP helps quite a bit. Back then I also listened to the R300's. In hindsight, I think I should have chosen them over de R500. Bass wise, there really is not much of a difference and I think the wider baffle makes them radiate better. I also have LS50 for my Covid home office and think they are in some aspects definitely better than the R500's. But for my living room, they are a bit small.

bo_knows

I can't comment on either R3 or Genelec, otherwise, I would not be asking ;). The R500's are not bad actually. They are also a bit bass-shy and are definitely not as flat as the R3/Genelec. DSP helps quite a bit. Back then I also listened to the R300's. In hindsight, I think I should have chosen them over de R500. Bass wise, there really is not much of a difference and I think the wider baffle makes them radiate better. I also have LS50 for my Covid home office and think they are in some aspects definitely better than the R500's. But for my living room, they are a bit small.
Sorry, I misread your post. Thanks.

Top Bottom