• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an argument for the front 3, but side and/or rears very often act as effective mono sources which is why dipoles are so popular for those channels. Then in mixing and matching for directivity, you would miss out on the theoretical ideal of 5 or 7+ identical speakers.

Interesting. My rears are actually wide dispersion designs, but I got them cause they're so much closer than the front mains. I figured wide would work better for that distance.

stren

Forum Donor
I think they would also be interesting for the front 3 channels as well for those who may want a sealed speaker or just dual woofers in an MTM setup. They won't dig as deep as an R3 but they should have more output above 100Hz or so.

If you're blocking the ports on the r3, then purely on area the 2x5" beat the single 6.5, but it's also a smaller cabinet so...

But yes it could be another good option for LR as well as centre if you are blocking ports anyway. Speaking of which the uni-q's have an odd number of tangerine waveguides - meaning that they are not symmetric on the x axis when rotated. I assume this doesn't really affect using a R2C as a L/R speaker rotated 90 degrees.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Interesting. My rears are actually wide dispersion designs, but I got them cause they're so much closer than the front mains. I figured wide would work better for that distance.
That's the right thinking. In Toole's general guidelines for a typical home theater, he points out that the surrounds generally need wider dispersion than the LCR for proper audience coverage.

I don't think dipoles are popular for surrounds anymore. They may work OK for some music, but not what you want for today's action movies.

stren

Forum Donor
That's the right thinking. In Toole's general guidelines for a typical home theater, he points out that the surrounds generally need wider dispersion than the LCR for proper audience coverage.

I don't think dipoles are popular for surrounds anymore. They may work OK for some music, but not what you want for today's action movies.

So it sounds the optimal midrange HT setup (just based on scores but with decent looks) could be R3's for L/R (and presumably R2C for centre), and then M16's for surrounds. If you stick to black speakers then they may not be so obviously mismatched either ;)

Pepperjack

my apologies to waste so much thread space. I figure I should bring closure to my piece anyway, after setting it up to listen in mono and running more tests with alternating which one was using the amplifier and being partially blind (I had a hunch but wasn’t 100% based on location of sound) I could barely tell a difference between them. Don’t know why the Kef was so worse earlier on the Denon but it did fine in mono on the Denon, just required being turned up more. There was a difference in tone that was usually noticeable between the two but o couldn’t figure out how to put it in words nor could o say one was better or worse, just something different.

Also sometimes one seemed more open or boxy, sometimes the other-about 90% sure it was just the result of switching and not really because either of them sound “boxy.”
Ultimately I just do not have the knowledge or ear to really say one was better, and many times they just sound super similar.

I did fine the r5 is actually a bit better going deeper, the 926 has terrible port chuff under 45hz (I thought it was rattling my cabinets at first and was trying to figure out what was happening for a bit. It was more of like a “port rattling box of pencils” based on a bass frequency tests, and above the 45 they were very similar with sometimes each one seeming slightly better at different frequencies, so, again I could not actually say one is better than the other.

So I call them basically equal, but I played some slow and emotional songs like Angel and even without being sure which was which always had a deeper emotional response to the r5. After relistening a million times there seems to be a slightly more human tone on the long emotional parts-the echo and whatever to call it seems more human to my ear whereas the Aria sounded slightly more metallic or “ringy” if you will, but it was really hard to say what was causing it for sure.

The r5 was consistently more emotional-but only a bit-and that is about the extent of my abilities to evaluate it haha.

Yea, I really was not capable of doing this well...hats off to you guys, and if the aria (906 results coming soon) comes out scoring higher (than the r3) I will just trust the data and go with the aria anyway haha.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The reason for narrow dispersion (and big waveguides) is best explained by Geddes - basically you want to avoid early reflections which inhibit intelligibility. By making a narrow dispersion speaker and toeing them in a lot (crossing well in front of the listener) you can create a huge 'sweet spot' much wider than a conventional set up, so you get ideal intelligibility across a wide listening area.

The conventional wisdom here, and I'm sure someone here can clarify, is that you want all those horizontal reflections, which create a sense of spaciousness, but you don't want the early reflections, which muddy the sound. Bose speakers made their name by making speakers which reflected a ton of energy, and people loved them because they did sound spatious - but they also sound unclear. Big wave guides give you both.

The reason why people may prefer 'wide dispersion' designs such as the Revels, and this is pure conjecture on my part, is not that they are wide or narrow dispersion speakers so much as the fact that the dispersion slowly drops off as frequency increases. The DI is smooth, but not flat. Big state of the art waveguides are a profoundly different presentation of midrange and treble, being able to essentially create a uniform sound field across a wide bandwidth and across a wide area. It's an unfamiliar sound, and one which people often describe as more in-your-face. I think they sounds more like headphones, albeit very spacious ones.

Smaller speakers with waveguides, say below 8", are really more similar to good conventional speakers, just with smoother directivity and slightly improved intelligibility. The big wavguides, however - the 12" and 15" woofer guys - are another animal.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still waiting for my R3s (More than two weeks late now, I'm starting to get upset...:mad:).
Oh my...

IMG_20200529_153102.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hum.

Listening to R3s right now. Played some tracks few hours after unboxing/installation.

So far: not impressed.:confused: It don't think it'll need deep investigation to find out Arias are very different speakers (I'd say not worse nor better, but definetly few in common).

On stands, these take up as much space as big floorstandings. Very, very (too) deep. And quite frankly, they kind of sound like it.

At a glance, first sighted and uncontrolled impressions:

- Need much more power than Arias (literally 10dB more on my ADI-2 to get about the same SPL)
- More bass weight against the Arias (like no contest)
- But somewhat boomy and uncontrolled at times (will have to play with bassports, there's no room to optimize positioning)
- A touch on the brighter side (not "harsh", tho)
- Seems to lack low-mids and body. Sounds almost slightly V-shaped in my room (No kidding)
- Narrower soundstage and spread, it seems way easier to audibly locate each speakers.
- Possibly more "pinpoint" imaging.
- Maybe more accurate for near-field with low-volume listening... But:
- Overall signature is somewhat boring to me.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Hum.

Listening to R3s right now. Played some tracks few hours after unboxing/installation.

So far: not impressed.:confused: It don't think it'll need deep investigation to find out Arias are very different speakers (I'd say not worse nor better, but definetly few in common).

On stands, these take up as much space as big floorstandings. Very, very (too) deep. And quite frankly, they kind of sound like it.

- Need much more power than Arias (literally 10dB more on my ADI-2 to get about the same SPL)
- But somewhat boomy and uncontrolled at times (will have to play with bassports, there's no room to optimize positioning)
- Seems to lack low-mids and body. Sounds almost slightly V-shaped. (No kidding)
- Narrower soundstage and spread, it is way easier to audibly locate each speakers.

Can you post in-room measurements? I'm sure a little room EQ would help.. :)

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hum.

- Seems to lack low-mids and body. Sounds almost slightly V-shaped. (No kidding)
- Narrower soundstage and spread, it is way easier to audibly locate each speakers.

I'm sorry you're not enjoying them yet! I think the R3 would probably do best with half the port bung installed if you have it relatively close to the wall. 'Boomy' is not a thought that ever came to mind when I listened to them, and there's nothing to suggest they would either be boomy or lack low mids, so that's almost certainly their relationship to your room.

I do think they are very different from the Focals, which is somewhat ironic because if the Arias measurements hold up to my simulated ones for the Chora, they actually have a very similar PIR to the R3. For example, here's my PIR for the Chora vs Amir's PIR for the KEF R3:
1590774999122.png

But the directivity characteristics are very different, and that's probably what you're hearing.

You might simply have to get used to the sound too.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- Narrower soundstage and spread, it seems way easier to audibly locate each speakers.

Try the extreme toe-in method (aka, utilize Time Intensity Trading), where you toe-in each speaker so much that they cross in front of you instead of at your ears. This will naturally reduce the upper treble as well as give a wider center image.

Like this:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Try the extreme toe-in method (aka, utilize Time Intensity Trading), where you toe-in each speaker so much that they cross in front of you instead of at your ears. This will naturally reduce the upper treble as well as give a wider center image.

Like this:

Eh.. I really prefer EQ to that method.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure a little room EQ would help.. :)
It probably will. But quite frankly, I was looking for some new toys to play with, while there was fery few to complain about 906s, with no EQ whatsoever (maybe was looking for stronger bass). I had no intend to spend that money to then investigate how to make them sound like I would by EQ or tweaking.
This was the best rated passive speakers here. So I had to buy it. There's not that much thinking behind that. :p:facepalm:

Anyway, it has only been few hours, so let's wait a couple of days more. I won't work for the next three days, so plenty of time for critical listening.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eh.. I really prefer EQ to that method.

EQ isn't going to fix the narrower soundstage though.

In my home, the R3s sounded unequivocably better when pointed straight forward. I tried extreme toe in, but I felt that left the image too diffuse in my place. Your mileage may vary. Either way, they shouldn't be listened to on-axis

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Like this:
Thanks for the suggestion, but that won't going to happen...ever. ;)

QMuse

Major Contributor
It probably will. But quite frankly, I was looking for some new toys to play with, while there was fery few to complain about 906s, with no EQ whatsoever (maybe was looking for stronger bass). I had no intend to spend that money to then investigate how to make them sound like I would by EQ or tweaking.
This was the best rated passive speakers here. So I had to buy it. There's not that much thinking behind that. :p:facepalm:

Anyway, it has only been few hours, so let's wait a couple of days more. I won't work for the next three days, so plenty of time for critical listening.

I will be happy to provide my EQ to R3 based on Amir's Klippel measurement if you have means to apply it. :)

QMuse

Major Contributor
EQ isn't going to fix the narrower soundstage though.

Well sure, it is what it is. But R3 is still a speaker with very smooth directivity and EQ will fix the tonal balance better than radical toe-in you suggested. ;)

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well sure, it is what it is. But R3 is still a speaker with very smooth directivity and EQ will fix the tonal balance better than radical toe-in you suggested. ;)

I did not suggest radical toe in. I suggested they be aimed straight forward. They should be listned to 15-20 degrees off axis. That is how KEF designs speakers.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@VintageFlanker When you think they sound their best, connect your Arias for A/B comparison. Here is my long lasting impression about sound of modified R300 quoted from another forum. I wrote it march 2019:

It's been a while since i've addressed the sound of modified Kef R300.

When the initial impressions of sound settle, then comes that long lasting feeling you get when you get to know your loudspeakers very well. Kef did an amazing job with these drivers, well almost. Almost everything sounded the best ever but i will not write about qualities of this loudspeaker but more on the weak spots. R300 when modified has two of them. Low bass - it's there but not really. In my room it worked perfect but when put in larger rooms 40sqm or more, it needs help - and i'm talking about hard walls, not wood or drywall - i'm guessing it would behave worse in that situation. Other one being low mids. Concentric at the top does such a good job that i wonder what could sound better than that. When Kef says -obsessed with high resolution- they really mean it. It's one of the finest midranges and tweeters i have ever heard, and i've heard quite a few loudspeakers. Woofer is crossed at about 450Hz to midrange, and there problems begin. I'll post a picture оf its construction first:

Kef R300.jpg

It's made by attaching large aluminium plate to a paper cone that is connected to voice coil former. In the paper cone there are elliptical openings to let the pressure out. Something similar can be seen in typical car subwoofer units. When it comes to bass frequencies boy does it deliver. It is one of the most punchiest bass drivers i've laid my eyes (ears???) on. It would be almost no compromise loudspeaker if midrange could be crossed to it at say 120-150Hz but pushing it to 400-500Hz has taken its toll. Since i made quasi-anechoic measurements with almost 11ms gate time, i get very good resolution from about 90-100Hz. I've made the flattest measuring loudspeaker (on and off axis) up to about 2KHz i've seen. But something was missing. i first thought that midrange was a bit quieter than it should be so i reduced the attenuation in 0.2dB increments to set its level by ear. That's wasn't it. Then, after some time i started to look at the crossover frequency between midrange and woofer. With few slight adjustments i moved it to 380Hz - it was better. Then i moved it to 310Hz, even better still. All the time i kept linearity and good phase tracking. The more i let the midrange work, the better the rendering of that thing missing was. Then i just played some music i know well and got really close to loudspeaker listening to midrange and woofer up and down. Every tone that wasn't pure bass frequency (say 80 and up) it played virtually the same. Every note sounded the same. They've made it work well and deep enough at low frequencies but they've damaged the transients of lower midrange on the way. I guess the price had to be payed somewhere and it was right there where it hurts the most. That couple hundreds hertz it should be playing it doesn't do well.

Knowing that there were couple of options i had to decide. To buy used Q300 and use its 6.5" woofer. I'd remove the tweeter and make a phase plug. But that's an investment of more or less 300-400 euros and leaves me with having to measure new trim rings dimensions and have them made out of plastic or aluminium, new crossover etc. Color of Q300 woofer looks really ugly when combined to concentric midrange in R300 so i gave up. Next thing would be trying to find a 4 ohm woofer that will work as well as factory one in about 15 liters of volume. That was cheaper option but i haven't found it.

Anyhow, i'd strongly recommend concentric driver from R series as it really sings but to use it with another woofer that will not absorb transients on the way. If you're listening electronic music, you'll never want for another loudspeaker. Couple of my friends do so i sold my R300's to one of them.

This was a very good experience. I've learned a lot and it showed me that Kef is a force to be reckoned with when concerning their concentric drivers.

cheers :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom