• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

buz

Forum Donor
Compare the top plate to the large top plate that comes with the Kanto and the dimensions of the hole locations on the R3. It works with the Kanto large top plate , so if the top plate is as big or bigger than that it will work. Will likely require drilling or modifying holes.

Simply by looking at mounting plate sizes, the SX26 is 16.5 cm x 23.5 cm which means that presumably the much cheaper Stylum 2 at 165 x 220 mm would also work.

I need to look below the R3 and measure the mounting hole spacing - looks like there is no drawing of that anywhere.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Simply by looking at mounting plate sizes, the SX26 is 16.5 cm x 23.5 cm which means that presumably the much cheaper Stylum 2 at 165 x 220 mm would also work.

I need to look below the R3 and measure the mounting hole spacing - looks like there is no drawing of that anywhere.
My guess is that the 1.5 cm will be enough that it won’t work for the mounting holes. The SX26 was pretty a pretty tire fit.

mglobe

Forum Donor
1667933631651.jpeg

Here’s how close the bolts come to the edge on the SX26. I don’t think the Stylum will work if you want to bolt the speakers.

buz

Forum Donor
That looks like exact measurement is needed if it works at all

h2oxide

Gotta pair en route. What's the recommended height for these? Considering the Kanto SX-series stand, and it comes in both a 22 and 26" variant.

mglobe

Forum Donor
That looks like exact measurement is needed if it works at all
It’s a really tight fit as you can see. There are four small holes already drilled in the top plate that are the correct spacing laterally and slightly too close longitudinally. I drilled them out to a size large enough to handle the mounting bolts, and then elongated them into an oval using a Dremell. I’m not all that skilled with this sort of thing, so if I can do it, most people can. There’s probably a better way to get the same result.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Gotta pair en route. What's the recommended height for these? Considering the Kanto SX-series stand, and it comes in both a 22 and 26" variant.
I chose the 26 as that puts the tweeter at ear height for me seating arrangement. KEF has recently brought out a stand for $600 that is specific to the R3, and it is only 20" high. Seems too low to me, but just FYI.

h2oxide

I chose the 26 as that puts the tweeter at ear height for me seating arrangement. KEF has recently brought out a stand for $600 that is specific to the R3, and it is only 20" high. Seems too low to me, but just FYI.
Thanks for the info. What’s the name of their new stand?

mglobe

Forum Donor
The S3

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well i don't know where to put this

But finally i have the UMIK1, i will show the measurements from my Kef R7, since there is not a lot in-room measurements. I got a nice 30hz, really nice!.
Corrected FR. 20hz-700hz~
View attachment 242909

Is this a single point measurement? Looks pretty good!

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That height keeps the tweeter in line with the rest of the R series, which may or may not be of interest depending on your multichannel situation (budget, mostly) and aesthetic tastes. I got a 20" faux wood pair of stands for around $55 from Amazon in US, if you want to stick with Kefs recommendations for far less $

Livewire

KEF website says the S3 stands will ship in December, but looks like some retailers like BestBuy have them in stock.

Smokingace

I have the Kef Performance stands S2 (for the LS) and made myself a custom (I copied the topplate of the LS stands) topplate of 8mm aluminium. The stands are now about €350 and the topplate cost me €40.

SynthesisCinema

Some little birds saying R serie is being discontinued and new R3 Meta coming at February 2023. :) Not that suprising if true as there is some good deals for the R serie currently.

YSC

Major Contributor
Well i don't know where to put this

But finally i have the UMIK1, i will show the measurements from my Kef R7, since there is not a lot in-room measurements. I got a nice 30hz, really nice!.
Corrected FR. 20hz-700hz~
View attachment 242909

this looks better..
index.php
looked really good, but maybe correcting up to 700hz is a bit much, looks got above schroeder frequency isn't too good an idea

Opal

Some little birds saying R serie is being discontinued and new R3 Meta coming at February 2023. :) Not that suprising if true as there is some good deals for the R serie currently.

If R3 Meta uses the 12th gen uni q driver then what sets them apart from the reference 1? Only the bass driver?

Top Bottom