• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I decided on a pair of 3000 Micro… mostly for watching videos. I switch with the iPhone app between Music and Movies. Also room correction with Roon.

I am pleased!
I always wonder if it's a good idea have something like the 3000 MICRO/KC62 with dual opposed drivers next to the speaker, if you put them
next to the cabinet of the speakers it's a bad idea?

Or if you want to have the subwoofer next to the speakers ( both things close ) is better a single driver sealed subwoofer? like a Rythmik f12?

Something like this is a good idea but I already have the R7 lol
index.php

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always wonder if it's a good idea have something like the 3000 MICRO/KC62 with dual opposed drivers next to the speaker, if you put them

Or if you want to have the subwoofer next to the speakers ( both things close ) is better a single driver sealed subwoofer? like a Rythmik f12?

index.php
Yeah, they’d be too high… :p

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
What stands are people using with the R3s? It's hard to find something with a base plate that is big enough. It's frustrating that KEF doesn't make a speaker stand for the R3 like it does for the LS50.
Monolith stands are utilitarian, but very inert and stable once filled. (Mine are filled with baking soda.) They also come in different heights.

Other Monoprice stands look like they could be good, but I have not tried them.

Ace

What stands are people using with the R3s? It's hard to find something with a base plate that is big enough. It's frustrating that KEF doesn't make a speaker stand for the R3 like it does for the LS50.
I'm using Dynaudio Stand 20. Very solid and stable. Recommended.
As I've got wooden floors I simply reversed the feet so that the rubber end is down instead of the carpet spike.

fun

I put them on the Target HR60 stands that I have had for many years, and they works well and looks good. That say, with the price of those Target stands now (e.g. from Music Direct), I second Steve's suggestion regrading the Monolith stands, which I have the 28 inches version for my rear speakers. The Monolith are solid and great value, and should work for the R3.

syr1990

I'm using Dynaudio Stand 20. Very solid and stable. Recommended.
As I've got wooden floors I simply reversed the feet so that the rubber end is down instead of the carpet spike.
These look inticing. Are you using one of the bigger adapter plates?

Ace

These look inticing. Are you using one of the bigger adapter plates?
No, the R3s sits with stability on the 15 x 21cm top plate. It has four rubber non-slip lugs that stop the speakers moving or damaging the base of the speaker.

testp

index.php
how's the R7 bass in a room?

Skyro

I second the Monoprice Monolith stands for the R3 if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg for speaker stands. R3 cabinet is already pretty inert as is but when I had some Triangle Br03's on them (which had very flimsy and resonant cabinets) the Monolith stands filled with play sand did really well to eliminate vibrations. I use blu tac to adhere them on the stands.

srslee

Would the Marantz NR1608 be enough to drive the R3s in a smaller bedroom? I would be adding a SB-1000 to the mix as well.

SuperDave

Would the Marantz NR1608 be enough to drive the R3s in a smaller bedroom? I would be adding a SB-1000 to the mix as well.

Although I'm unfamiliar with that AVR, I_do note in its' manual it has a setting specifically for 4 ohm speakers, which is of interest since the R3's are known to reach 3.2 ohm impedance. Marantz do not rate the unit's power output into 4 ohms, which made me look deeper. With that in mind, 50wpc/8 ohms in a small room with a decent sub should be fine. In fact, try the KEF standalone before you throw the money into a sub. Depending on your listening interests, you may find them sufficient on their own.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Although I'm unfamiliar with that AVR, I_do note in its' manual it has a setting specifically for 4 ohm speakers, which is of interest since the R3's are known to reach 3.2 ohm impedance. Marantz do not rate the unit's power output into 4 ohms, which made me look deeper. With that in mind, 50wpc/8 ohms in a small room with a decent sub should be fine. In fact, try the KEF standalone before you throw the money into a sub. Depending on your listening interests, you may find them sufficient on their own.
The 4 Ohm setting limits power. Do not use it. Leveraging a sub helps with low F current demand.

Last edited:

srslee

Good to hear. The money was already thrown into the sub long ago, haha. Just looking to take advantage of the R3 sale, and make use of what I have that's currently collecting dust!

The 4 Ohm setting limits power. Do not use it.
Duly noted, thank you.

jmbgator

IsoAcoustics Aperta 200 Isolation Stands on top of Monolith THX 10 subs. :cool:View attachment 188897

How do the R3's sound on top of the subwoofer like this, and with the ISO stands? Generally, are there impacts to sound quality? I'm thinking of doing something similar with my setup and placing them on top of dual PB-3000s with the same ISO stands. Thoughts?

JRiggs

How do the R3's sound on top of the subwoofer like this, and with the ISO stands? Generally, are there impacts to sound quality? I'm thinking of doing something similar with my setup and placing them on top of dual PB-3000s with the same ISO stands. Thoughts?
They sound fantastic. Could they sound better on stands and pulled further form the wall? Maybe, I don't know but I tend to doubt it. This is the best solution given the space I have to work with, and the system sounds pretty amazing. Really no different than a full range tower that incorporates subs.

My subs are Monolith THX 10's and they're built like tanks and do not vibrate. The ISO stands further reduce/eliminate any vibration. By have the R3 and subs positioned as they are, I am able to run a higher crossover between them, limiting strain on the R3, and there is no localization of the subs.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I finally bought them for 1300 euro's at benderhifi.nl and they sound amazing!
The bass is perfect and the treble also.
I am a real happy camper now with the cx ste from cambridge and the r3's.
Thanks to eveybody contributing!

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I finally bought them for 1300 euro's at benderhifi.nl and they sound amazing!
The bass is perfect and the treble also.
I am a real happy camper now with the cx ste from cambridge and the r3's.
Thanks to eveybody contributing!
Congratulations, which finish/color did you get?

Top Bottom