• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Chagall

Forum Donor
Good morning everyone (in Italy it is 11:40 AM).
I bought, used, the Electrocompaniet ECI-4 amplifier and I am looking for advice for a good combination with speakers, even used ones, for a cost not exceeding 1000/1100 euros.

I currently have the Monitor Audio Silver 2 and was thinking about the Kef R3 or the Quad Z2 (I seem to have read negative reviews on the latter). What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your availability.
Think those specific amp and speakers haven't been tested here, so we have no way to know.
But in general if amp doesn't have any glaring issues (noise/distortion) and has enough power to drive speakers, you should be ok with MA silver 2 or Kefs.

Personally, I wouldn't change speakers but invest in a subwoofer, minidsp umik mic and room correction (frequency response correction or even better dirac correction). This all depends on how hands on you want to get.

kaimatic

Good morning everyone (in Italy it is 11:40 AM).
I bought, used, the Electrocompaniet ECI-4 amplifier and I am looking for advice for a good combination with speakers, even used ones, for a cost not exceeding 1000/1100 euros.

I currently have the Monitor Audio Silver 2 and was thinking about the Kef R3 or the Quad Z2 (I seem to have read negative reviews on the latter). What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your availability.
I found Quad Z1's response chart, and it's most likely very similar to Z2's.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/quad-z1-loudspeaker-review-test-bench

816quad.meas.jpg

Winemaker

I found Quad Z1's response chart, and it's most likely very similar to Z2's.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/quad-z1-loudspeaker-review-test-bench

View attachment 185288
Thanks for your kindness, I was looking for someone who had listened to these two speakers, who could give me their impressions. Of course the Kefs are less prone to WAF and the Elettrocompaniet, in my opinion, would sound better with the Kef R3 which have a brighter and more crystalline sound, the Monitor Audio Silver 2 seem a bit closed to me with the ECI 4.
I am always open to other options and other speakers.

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
Thanks for your kindness, I was looking for someone who had listened to these two speakers, who could give me their impressions. Of course the Kefs are less prone to WAF and the Elettrocompaniet, in my opinion, would sound better with the Kef R3 which have a brighter and more crystalline sound, the Monitor Audio Silver 2 seem a bit closed to me with the ECI 4.
This would be the first time I've ever heard of a KEF speaker being brighter than a Monitor Audio. Also the Quad has the classic "British" 3KHz depression, so will likely sound "laid back" and perhaps make bad recordings sound a little easier on the ear.

Winemaker

This would be the first time I've ever heard of a KEF speaker being brighter than a Monitor Audio. Also the Quad has the classic "British" 3KHz depression, so will likely sound "laid back" and perhaps make bad recordings sound a little easier on the ear.
In fact I said (in my opinion, it would sound better), in my opinion. There could be the Klipsch. I am a neophyte, so I seek advice.

raindance

Major Contributor
In fact I said (in my opinion, it would sound better), in my opinion. There could be the Klipsch. I am a neophyte, so I seek advice.
In my opinion, the KEF will be the most neutral, followed by the Monitor Audio, followed by the Quad. Klipsch isn't even on the same planet unless you have high frequency hearing loss.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stay with the Kef R3. Later add subwoofers. I insist on the plurals.
The FR curve you just showed us, for the Z2, although very smoothed is not as good as that of the R3 ... I would daresay that the Kef R3 is an objectively better speaker. Actually, ... no dare necessary :D

As for amplifers, the EC-1 has no glaring issues and as such, will drive drive the Kef R3. I would advance that nowadays there are less expensive and objectively better options. These options although better objectively may not bring any sonic benefits...so... You will come to see that the issue of electronics (DAC, Amp, etc) is virtually solved. Transducers and the room in which they are placed remains the issues.
Do know that it takes time to get the best results from any system. Do not be seduced by the siren song of some speakers: They sound fantastic until you get used to their sounding, "fantastic" and start noticing that they sound wrong, since they sound "fantastic" on anything and everything, including pieces that shouldn't sound "fantastic"... I will go out on a limb and put numerous Klipsch and Monitor Audio models in that category.

Keep the Electrocompaniet ECI-4
Get the Kef R3
Get a miniDSP Umik-1
Download REW
learn to measure. Takes a while but it's fun.
Return here for advices, questions and suggestions.
When you are ready for subwoofers , acquire a miniDSP 2x4 HD/
Add, at least, a pair of subwoofers from reputable manufacturers, you are in Europe thus would suggest to look for European manufacturers. Subwoofers are relatively big and often heavy ... thus shipping charges can be serious.. @sweetchaos has put together a superb tool to choose subwoofers.. He's put together more tools .. Thanks @sweetchaos . Here is the Sweetchaos Subwoofer Comparison Tool

In a medium sized-room up to 30 square meter, the Kef R3 + a pair of good subwoofers are as good as it gets for accurate and realistic reproduction of any type of music, from EDM to RAP... passing though Western Classical, Baroque, acoustic Jazz, Vocals .. etc.... From 20 to 20,000 Hz at any healthy Sound Pressure level ;)

Peace

Last edited:

Ciobi69

The FR curve you just showed us, for the Z2, although very smoothed is not as good as that of the R3 ... I would daresay that the Kef R3 is an objectively better speaker. Actually, ... no dare necessary : D

As for amplifers, the EC-1 has no glaring issues and as such, will drive drive the Kef R3. I would advance that nowadays there are less expensive and objectively better options. These options although better objectively may not bring any sonic benefits...so... You will come to see that the issue of electronics (DAC, Amp, etc) is virtually solved. Transducers and the room in which they are placed remains the issues.
Do know that it takes time to get the best results from any system. Do not be seduced by the siren song of some speakers: They sound fantastic until you get used to their sounding, "fantastic" and start noticing that they sound wrong, since they sound "fantastic" on anything and everything, including pieces that shouldn't sound "fantastic"... I will go out on a limb and put numerous Klipsch and Monitor Audio models in that category.

Get the Kef R3
Get a miniDSP Umik-1
Download REW
Add, at least, a pair of subwoofers from reputable manufacturers, you are in Europe thus would suggest to look for European manufacturers. Subwoofers are relatively big and often heavy ... thus shipping charges can be serious.. @sweetchaos has put together a superb tool to choose subwoofers.. He's put together more tools .. Thanks @sweetchaos . Here is the Sweetchaos Subwoofer Comparison Tool

In a medium sized-room up to 30 square meter, the Kef R3 + a pair of good subwoofers are as good as it gets for accurate and realistic reproduction of any type of music, from EDM to RAP... passing though Western Classical, Baroque, acoustic Jazz, Vocals .. etc.... From 20 to 20,000 Hz at any healthy Sound Pressure level;)

Peace
That is what I am doing, R3 + sub+ dirac live,it's gonna be good man, Tomorrow the kef arrives,i am excited

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The FR curve you just showed us, for the Z2, although very smoothed is not as good as that of the R3 ... I would daresay that the Kef R3 is an objectively better speaker. Actually, ... no dare necessary :D

Get the Kef R3
Get a miniDSP Umik-1
Download REW

In a medium sized-room up to 30 square meter, the Kef R3 + a pair of good subwoofers are as good as it gets for accurate and realistic reproduction of any type of music, from EDM to RAP... passing though Western Classical, Baroque, acoustic Jazz, Vocals .. etc.... From 20 to 20,000 Hz at any healthy Sound Pressure level ;)

Peace
I think the miniDSP Flex would be the better choice. More expensive than the 2x4 HD, but better DACs, and a volume control, so a full featured DAC/Preamp. Can't go wrong with either SVS or Rhythmik 12" subs IMHO.

Ace

I recently acquired a pair of near new R3s for 2 channel music. What sub, with good musicality, preferably available second hand as my budget is tight, do you recommend?

Winemaker

That is what I am doing, R3 + sub+ dirac live,it's gonna be good man, Tomorrow the kef arrives,i am excited
They have arrived? how they are when you listen to them

Ciobi69

They have arrived? how they are when you listen to them
I have to wait some days for the stand,also i will keep them for 1 month then they will send me a new pair because 1 came damaged, they look gorgeous

Winemaker

I have to wait some days for the stand,also i will keep them for 1 month then they will send me a new pair because 1 came damaged, they look gorgeous
I feel healthy envy.;);)

Klonatans

Forum Donor
My Electrocompaniet ECI 80D with its slightly warmish tonality has a very good synergy with the first generation Elac FS 407 speakers. If you are looking for bookshelf speakers maybe it's worth to check out some ELAC BS series speakers like BS 403 or BS 243.

Ace

SVS SB 1000 or SB 2000.
Neither are available in Australia second hand. They must be good!

So new, SVS SB1000 pro, SB2000 pro or 3000 Micro? The SB 2000 pro & 3000 Micro are the same price, SB1000 pro are 50% cheaper.

As a sub to mate to the R3s for music I'm leaning towards the cheaper SB1000 pro. I figure I could add another down the road if needed without breaking the bank. The SVS app has appeal too.

Am I on the right track?

Ciobi69

Neither are available in Australia second hand. They must be good!

So new, SVS SB1000 pro, SB2000 pro or 3000 Micro? The SB 2000 pro & 3000 Micro are the same price, SB1000 pro are 50% cheaper.

As a sub to mate to the R3s for music I'm leaning towards the cheaper SB1000 pro. I figure I could add another down the road if needed without breaking the bank. The SVS app has appeal too.

Am I on the right track?
Yes they are fine and 2 of them would be perfect

Top Bottom