• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Vuki

Btw, I just looked at a photos of Toole's and @amirm room and that is not how their speakers are positioned. Have they no clue how it should be or their speakers are not directional enough? :D
Dr Toole sure is a great guy, but I don't think one should use his living room as an example of anything ideal.
I mean, being a dentist I sure don't have perfect teeth, but that room...

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you get that information?
These are from the Kef manuals:

IswTRhK.png

jn1Ja6R.png

See my earlier post about comments from KEF on this. Their manuals could use some work.

QMuse

Major Contributor
You hit the nail on the head. They are not nearly directional enough.

Aha. So the trick works only for KEFs and alike, with narrow constant directivity? That leaves me guessing why anybody would like to have such speaker.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aha. So the trick works only for KEFs and alike, with narrow constant directivity? That leaves me guessing why anybody would like to have such speaker.

Yeah. I mean, on some wider designs toeing them in just a little in front of the my listening position can work, but I find it usually just makes the soundstage too diffuse. In any case, in my home several feat doesn't work. Usually about 1 foot in front of me is enough. Really just depends on your setup and the distance to your sidewalls.

The D&D 8c is probably the speaker that's sounded the best using this technique. Unsurprisingly, it is also the truest constant directivity design I've tested. D&D does acknowledge this technique as an option in the manual, by the way :) though they don't mention widening the sweetspot specifically, but that's pretty much the only reason you would toe in the speakers in front of you.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Yeah. I mean, on some wider designs toeing them in just a little in front of the my listening position can work, but I find it usually just makes the soundstage too diffuse. In any case, in my home several feat doesn't work. Usually about 1 foot in front of me is enough. Really just depends on your setup and the distance to your sidewalls.

The D&D 8c is probably the speaker that's sounded the best using this technique. Unsurprisingly, it is also the truest constant directivity design I've tested. D&D does acknowledge this technique as an option in the manual, by the way :) though they don't mention widening the sweetspot specifically, but that's pretty much the only reason you would toe in the speakers in front of you.

Eh, D&D 8C is quite an exotic design which I would like to see blind tested against some of the classic design champions.

Which speaker do you own btw?

tuga

Major Contributor
HSU and Geddes(when he was selling speakers) both recommend extreme toe in (that's just fun to say), I believe. Most manufacturers probably do not because it's aesthetically atrocious in most cases and I agree lol.

Anyway, KEF's manual needs proofing for clarity. The above image you posted is specifically intended for 5.1 placement (it says 5.1 below the image). It is nothing specific to KEF, and is in fact literally just the exact angles/setup provided by Dolby for 5.1 audio.

In the same manual shows this:

View attachment 66641More specifically on two or three separate occasions I've asked KEF engineers/reps about positioning. The one I have in writing went like this, which I asked while reviewing the R3s:

Me: "Does KEF recommend toeing the R3s in? I know with previous speakers they've been designed to sound good off axis, but the manual for the R3 shows both positions, so I thought I'd check. "

Them: "...with the Uni-Q, KEF speakers will produce an extremely wide sound stage without any toe-in. Depending on certain variables like room acoustics and setup, some toe-in may help enhance sound reproduction in the main listening spot, but for all but the most extreme room conditions, toe-in is likely not necessary. We show it both ways so the end-user knows they have a choice for setup. " [Emphasis mine]

From a few conversations with manufacturers, it's clear engineers don't tend to design the manuals. They will proofread it, but they might miss things or confusing parts. Same happened to me with JBL where the engineer provided different advice than the manual. They then fixed the manual ;)

Note that wider soundstage and wider sweet spot are not the same thing. While I had some luck with extreme toe in in my old place, in my current home it tends to just sound like a more diffuse soundstage with a bigger sweet spot, but not necessarily a bigger soundstage in the way wide dispersion speakers provide. I think this is because the soundstage gets a bit compressed by the opposite wall reflections.

In the meantime I've found these two contradicting recomendations:

5 Tips for Positioning Your Speakers and Television
Sep 10, 2019

You’ve also probably heard that toeing in the left and right speaker at a 60° angle is going to help develop the best soundstage. The former is still a best practice, but KEF’s Uni-Q technology has pretty much made the 60° toe-in obsolete, which is an immense help when setting up your speakers for the optimal listening experience for multiple people. You may find a bit of toe-in helps, maybe on the order of 10° or so depending on room size and listening distance, but the old 60° speaker angle has (happily) gone the way of the 8-Track.

https://us.kef.com/blog/5-tips-for-positioning-your-speakers-and-television

Speaker Placement: 10 Things To Consider Beyond Spousal Approval
Jan 29, 2019

Toeing in the speakers may help with high-frequency response and the perception of the stereo image (make sure you toe both speakers in equally). With KEF's Uni-Q, balance doesn't suffer as you move off-axis (off the equilateral triangle) so keeping the speakers flat (not toed-in) may actually be an excellent solution for rooms that are too lively. Experiment before you invest in acoustic treatments.

https://us.kef.com/blog/speaker-placement-10-things-to-consider-beyond-spousal-approval

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eh, D&D 8C is quite an exotic design which I would like to see blind tested against some of the classic design champions.

Which speaker do you own btw?
None atm:). Too many speakers to test and my apartment is just one big room, so I basically only listen to whatever I'm testing.

QMuse

Major Contributor
None atm:). Too many speakers to test and my apartment is just one big room, so I basically only listen to whatever I'm testing.

Ok, I see. :)

In that case let me rephrase the question: which ones you liked the most so far (leaving out the exotics like D&D 8C)?

QMuse

Major Contributor
Yep. As in ones from @napilopez. But either my room or my R3 show the dip at about 1Khz, not 2:
View attachment 66663

IMHO opinion, looking at that graph I don't see that small dip around 1Khz as a big problem. Much larger problem is the overall tonal balance that seems completely wrong. Unless this is a nearfield measurement which poorly reflects the response at your LP.

Kef r3 pport plug.jpg

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I see. :)

In that case let me rephrase the question: which ones you liked the most so far (leaving out the exotics like D&D 8C)?

I've mentioned it in a few threads, but the JBL L100 Classic. It is the speaker I most wish I coud listen to again to make sure I wasn't just imagining how much I liked it given some significant on-axis discontinuities. Here's a pseudo spin I made based on incomplete from hemisphere data.

L100 Classic ER.png

It is imo the most enjoyable soundstage of a speaker I've heard in my home. At least the DI curve is quite good/wide.

That said, note I felt the speaker measured/sounded better with the knobs set to max rather than default.

Despite these problems, it doesn't seem to do too badly in the preference department (I've recently been calculating scores with my measurements based on MZKM's spreadsheet here, obviously subject to much more variability than Amir's). Though not proportional to its price, but what is.

The other two are Focal Chora 806 (w/sub) and Devialet phantom reactor. The Chora 806 I actually asked to hold onto longer as a reference for comparison, though it's mainly been sitting in its box due to time constraints. Meanwhile the Devialet just has so much bass for its size and nicely linear on axis that it's hard not to be impressed if it meets your SPL requirements (I actually had to modify MZKM's spreadsheet because it didn't support bass extension as deep as the reactors went lol).

Perhaps unsurprisingly given the comments of mine you've seen, these are all on the wider directivity end of the spectrum.

IMHO opinion, looking at that graph I don't see that small dip around 1Khz as a big problem. Much larger problem is the overall tonal balance that seems completely wrong.

View attachment 66666

@QMuse remember, that is a nearfield measurement, average of 30, 50, and 100cm. There is almost no room influence here.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
I've mentioned it in a few threads, but the JBL L100 Classic. It is the speaker I most wish I coud listen to again to make sure I wasn't just imagining how much I liked it given some significant on-axis discontinuities. Here's a pseudo spin I made based on incomplete from hemisphere data.

View attachment 66667

It is imo the most enjoyable soundstage of a speaker I've heard in my home. At least the DI curve is quite good/wide.

That said, note I felt the speaker measured/sounded better with the knobs set to max rather than default.

The other two are Focal Chora 806 (w/sub) and Devialet phantom reactor. The Chora 806 is the speaker I asked to hold onto as a reference for comparison, though it's mainly been sitting in its box.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, these are all on the wider directivity end of the spectrum.

@QMuse remember, that is a nearfield measurement, average of 30, 50, and 100cm. There is almost no room influence here

Ahh, those! Interesting choice.. Did they have orange grill? :D

@QMuse remember, that is a nearfield measurement, average of 30, 50, and 100cm. There is almost no room influence here

Ahh, yes - I forgot about that. :facepalm:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh, those! Interesting choice.. Did they have orange grill? :D

Ahh, yes - I forgot about that. :facepalm:

They did! I know they're iconic but I hate orange! I asked for blue so many times:(:(:(. I'm also testing the upcoming JBL L82. I refuse to review them if they don't send the blue.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience with extreme toe-in with Kii Three, Klipsch RP160m and JBL M2 is mainly two things, the stereo center remains more in the center when you move to the side and they all become brighter.
Those things makes sense logically to me.

I like it a little bit more diffused, I think.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Grimm Audio recommends for their great engineered loudspeakers (also by Bruno Putzeys) 45° toe-in in front of the listener and setup them like that in audio shows and give a third interesting reason why:

The LS1 cabinet is wider than usual, so the effect of turning the loudspeaker around its
vertical axis is larger than you would expect. We can use this to our advantage since the
off-axis response of the LS1 is extremely even. The LS1 sounds just as good slightly
off-axis as on-axis. In the classic arrangement the loudspeaker faces the listener. The
angle of the loudspeakers relative to the wall behind them is 30 degrees. The superb
off-axis performance of the LS1 offers an alternative setup where both loudspeakers are
turned slightly further inward, or „toe in“. We advice an angle to the wall of 45 degrees.
The listener then sits at 15 degrees off-axis of the loudspeakers.

This setup has three advantages:

1. For seats left or right of the sweet spot, the stereo image is better preserved. The
reason is that for a left seat the sound of the left loudspeaker will reach the ear more
early. This causes a shift to the left in the stereo image. But at the same time, the listener
is more on-axis of the right speaker and more off-axis of the left speaker. The right
loudspeaker therefore becomes slightly louder and the image shifts to the right again.
It is not perfect, but the net effect is a wider area to enjoy a nice stereo image.

2. The reflection of the left loudspeakers‘ sound to the left wall and vice versa becomes
attenuated a bit. Since this reflection path is usually relatively short, it needs to be
attenuated to not interfere with the stereo image. An easy trick to check if this reflection
is too loud is to listen to a mono sound on one loudspeaker only. Close your eyes and
point in the direction of the sound. Now open your eyes again and look at your finger. If
it is pointing towards the center of the loudspeaker everything is fine. If you point a little
bit off-center in the direction of the wall, the reflection is too loud. If turning the LS1‘s
toe-in does not cure the problem, you will need to apply acoustic absorption at the reflective
spots. Mark that by turning the left LS1 like this, its reflection to the right wall will
become louder. Usually this is not a problem because this reflection comes later. Psycho
acoustics says it can even help to extract the ‚ambience‘ information from the recording.

3. It offers a lower distortion. All drivers suffer from a distortion called ‚cone break up‘.
The Seas woofer we selected has a very high break up frequency of 4 kHz. This is far
above the cross-over frequency of 1.5 kHz so the in band sound is not affected by it.
A loudspeaker however is never free of distortion. The third harmonic of 1kHz is at 4 kHz
and this distortion component will be amplified a bit by the cone break up. Since 4 kHz is
a very high frequency for a large woofer, it is radiated as a narrow beam. We measured a
significant drop in distortion around 4 k

Source: https://www.grimmaudio.com/site/assets/files/1079/ls1_manual_en_v2_1.pdf

Unfortunately I cannot get used to the look of highly toed in loudspeaskers myself though. :facepalm:o_O:D

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grimm Audio recommends for their great engineered loudspeakers (also by Bruno Putzeys) 45° toe-in in front of the listener and setup them like that in audio shows and give a third interesting reason why:

The LS1 cabinet is wider than usual, so the effect of turning the loudspeaker around its
vertical axis is larger than you would expect. We can use this to our advantage since the
off-axis response of the LS1 is extremely even. The LS1 sounds just as good slightly
off-axis as on-axis. In the classic arrangement the loudspeaker faces the listener. The
angle of the loudspeakers relative to the wall behind them is 30 degrees. The superb
off-axis performance of the LS1 offers an alternative setup where both loudspeakers are
turned slightly further inward, or „toe in“. We advice an angle to the wall of 45 degrees.
The listener then sits at 15 degrees off-axis of the loudspeakers.

This setup has three advantages:

1. For seats left or right of the sweet spot, the stereo image is better preserved. The
reason is that for a left seat the sound of the left loudspeaker will reach the ear more
early. This causes a shift to the left in the stereo image. But at the same time, the listener
is more on-axis of the right speaker and more off-axis of the left speaker. The right
loudspeaker therefore becomes slightly louder and the image shifts to the right again.
It is not perfect, but the net effect is a wider area to enjoy a nice stereo image.

2. The reflection of the left loudspeakers‘ sound to the left wall and vice versa becomes
attenuated a bit. Since this reflection path is usually relatively short, it needs to be
attenuated to not interfere with the stereo image. An easy trick to check if this reflection
is too loud is to listen to a mono sound on one loudspeaker only. Close your eyes and
point in the direction of the sound. Now open your eyes again and look at your finger. If
it is pointing towards the center of the loudspeaker everything is fine. If you point a little
bit off-center in the direction of the wall, the reflection is too loud. If turning the LS1‘s
toe-in does not cure the problem, you will need to apply acoustic absorption at the reflective
spots. Mark that by turning the left LS1 like this, its reflection to the right wall will
become louder. Usually this is not a problem because this reflection comes later. Psycho
acoustics says it can even help to extract the ‚ambience‘ information from the recording.

3. It offers a lower distortion. All drivers suffer from a distortion called ‚cone break up‘.
The Seas woofer we selected has a very high break up frequency of 4 kHz. This is far
above the cross-over frequency of 1.5 kHz so the in band sound is not affected by it.
A loudspeaker however is never free of distortion. The third harmonic of 1kHz is at 4 kHz
and this distortion component will be amplified a bit by the cone break up. Since 4 kHz is
a very high frequency for a large woofer, it is radiated as a narrow beam. We measured a
significant drop in distortion around 4 k

Source: https://www.grimmaudio.com/site/assets/files/1079/ls1_manual_en_v2_1.pdf

Unfortunately I cannot get used to the look of highly toed in loudspeaskers myself though. :facepalm:o_O:D

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Grimm, but I hadn't ever heard that third reason - interesting!

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
IMHO opinion, looking at that graph I don't see that small dip around 1Khz as a big problem. Much larger problem is the overall tonal balance that seems completely wrong. Unless this is a nearfield measurement which poorly reflects the response at your LP.

View attachment 66666

Every room is going to have a different tilt.

tuga

Major Contributor
Grimm Audio recommends for their great engineered loudspeakers (also by Bruno Putzeys) 45° toe-in in front of the listener

Aren't they recomending 45° as an alternative setup?

Top Bottom