• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 OR BOWER & WILKINS S706 s2 ???

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem to know awfully little about the Harman studies (eg based on Rock, Olive’s Paper etc) yet you have a strong opinion that they are not correct or flawed.
:rolleyes:
Well you could be right. Since you seem to be in a position to judge, perhaps you'd like to share what music tracks were used in Olive's loudspeaker regression papers (parts 1 and 2) and what genre they were?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well you could be right. Since you seem to be in a position to judge, perhaps you'd like to share what music tracks were used in Olive's loudspeaker regression papers (parts 1 and 2) and what genre they were?
I am not doing your homework especially as it is futile to begin with as you like your preconceived misconceptions.

Hint. Tooles Book and Forum search. And if in doubt both Toole and Olive are forum members here, so better brush up

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not doing your homework especially as it is futile to begin with as you like your preconceived misconceptions.

Hint. Tooles Book and Forum search. And if in doubt both Toole and Olive are forum members here, so better brush up
I see, so you accused me of not understanding Olive's papers, specifically the music used in the study's listening tests, but you don't actually know, yourself? That's pretty bold of you.

Here's the answer, btw:
ArtistTrackMusic Genre
James TaylorThat’s Why I’m HereFolk rock
Little FeatHangin’ On to the Good TimesBlues rock
Tracy ChampanFast CarFolk/Blues rock
Jennifer WarnesBird on a WireCountry rock

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see, so you accused me of not understanding Olive's papers, specifically the music used in the study's listening tests, but you don't actually know, yourself? That's pretty bold of you.

Here's the answer, btw:
ArtistTrackMusic Genre
I know and know where to look plus you made the claim not me, so you bring the proof and why would I waste my time trying to help someone who doesn’t want to be helped to learn new things.
And you know because @thewas linked the information for you just 3 posts up.

Read the book and the studies and don’t pick bits and pieces out of context. Only then you will be able to understand the history, the procedures and its applicability along with its strength and limitations. If you then come back with your own research or other studies (facts, not stories or opinions) we will be all ear.

Last edited:

Ageve

There are > 200 different subgenres of rock, and it probably covers at least 90% of the music most people listen to. (edit: It's just a reply to the comment about rock music. It's not the reason why Harman ended up using the test tracks they did).

HarmonicTHD said:
Read the book and the studies and don’t pick bits and pieces out of context.

I agree.

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know and know where to look plus you made the claim not me, so you bring the proof
@HarmonicTHD, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you write: "You seem to know awfully little about the Harman studies (eg based on Rock, Olive’s Paper etc)?" Were you not the one making the claim that I was incorrect that Olive's loudspeaker regression papers were based on ROCK music? Scroll up, I gave you a friendly opportunity to correct yourself, but you didn't take it.

So, now that I have "brought the proof," will you acknowledge that I was correct, after all?

And you know because @thewas linked the information for you just 3 posts up.
I'm not sure why it makes sense to you that I first learned that the Olive regression papers were based on rock from information provided by @thewas "3 posts up." For starters, I pointed out the fact about rock music in post #405 (4:45PM). @thewas didn't "link" information until post #406 (10:28PM). So, are you saying that I invented a time machine, travelled 6 hours into the future, learned information from @thewas in post #406, then travelled back in time so that I could post #405?

OH, and one more thing, @HarmonicTHD, I actually posted about the 4 rock tracks used in the Harman regression studies 4 months ago in my post here.
Now that I have once again "brought the proof," will you acknowledge that you were also incorrect about where I got my information from ?

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To me the tonality and absence of resonances is easily judged with white noise in few seconds but I find it still very hard to judge the tonality fast and reliable with any kind of music. It seems to me the main goal of the harman predicted preference score research was it to find music which is as fast as revealing as white noise to tonal differences and resonances without using white noise. My theory is that white noise would have provoked skepticism so they choose some music even if it isn't as good in this regard.

It is a very valid question what test music is used to judge the quality of a speaker since it will of cause influence the result. E.g. if you use more music with a single instruments or single voice the intermodulation distortion is more an issue as if you play back full range tracks with a lot of instruments and fuller bandwidth. The SQAM recordings of the EBU are commonly used in research where very small differences should be found. If you use very dynamic recordings like Telarc recordings the max uncompressed spl is more important than if you play back some modern pop recordings. All such nonlinear distortion weren't included into the predicted preference score therefore all these recordings create more "noise" for building a model based on the linear behavior of an loudspeaker "only" ...

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@HarmonicTHD, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you write: "You seem to know awfully little about the Harman studies (eg based on Rock, Olive’s Paper etc)?" Were you not the one making the claim that I was incorrect that Olive's loudspeaker regression papers were based on ROCK music? Scroll up, I gave you a friendly opportunity to correct yourself, but you didn't take it.

So, now that I have "brought the proof," will you acknowledge that I was correct, after all?

I'm not sure why it makes sense to you that I first learned that the Olive regression papers were based on rock from information provided by @thewas "3 posts up." For starters, I pointed out the fact about rock music in post #405 (4:45PM). @thewas didn't "link" information until post #406 (10:28PM). So, are you saying that I invented a time machine, travelled 6 hours into the future, learned information from @thewas in post #406, then travelled back in time so that I could post #405?

OH, and one more thing, @HarmonicTHD, I actually posted about the 4 rock tracks used in the Harman regression studies 4 months ago in my post here.
Now that I have once again "brought the proof," will you acknowledge that you were also incorrect about where I got my information from ?
You conveniently picked the 5 tracks which include the word rock to support your incomplete picture and misconceptions - again don’t pick the bits and pieces out of context. Maybe start asking questions, maybe even to Sean Olive himself (he is a member here).

Are these all the tracks / sounds they used?
Where there more studies which supported the preference studies?
Possibly with different tracks / genres?
Which studies led to the anechoic flat preference, which to the “Harman” preference curve? How do these correlate?
Why did they use a certain selection of tracks?
How did they exclude influence of tracks on their studies?
They spent 20 years on it, did they not think about track selection?

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's the answer, btw:
ArtistTrackMusic Genre
You conveniently picked the 5 tracks which include the word rock to support your incomplete picture and misconceptions - again don’t pick the bits and pieces out of context.
Hold on a sec, @HarmonicTHD.
Are you saying there were more than 4 music tracks utilized in Olive's research paper that correlated loudspeaker preferences with measurements?
And that I deliberately picked only the tracks that were considered "rock music" in order to mislead people here?

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To me the tonality and absence of resonances is easily judged with white noise in few seconds but I find it still very hard to judge the tonality fast and reliable with any kind of music. It seems to me the main goal of the harman predicted preference score research was it to find music which is as fast as revealing as white noise to tonal differences and resonances without using white noise. My theory is that white noise would have provoked skepticism so they choose some music even if it isn't as good in this regard.
For Harman and my personal experience pink noise is the most discriminating to hear if some frequency regions are exaggerated, mind you the difference to "Female Pop Rock" is very small and probably pink noise needs more training to get used to the correct overall tilt compared to known music:

Program+Influence+on+Listener+Performance.png

Source of above image: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2010/03/method-for-training-listeners-and.html

White noise is perceived with an uprising tonality.

Here more about it from Toole https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-can-it-be-measured.25313/page-7#post-866792

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For Harman and my personal experience pink noise is the most discriminating to hear if some frequency regions are exaggerated, mind you the difference to "Female Pop Rock" is very small and probably pink noise needs more training to get used to the correct overall tilt compared to known music:

Source of above image: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2010/03/method-for-training-listeners-and.html

Here more about it from Toole https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-can-it-be-measured.25313/page-7#post-866792
Exactly and that gives the hint what pink noise and Tracy Chapman have in common.

Plus the earlier studies starting with the Canadian consumer union studies and later then at Harman from which the anechoic preference was derived used a variety of genres “classical, rock, pop, jazz” (I am quoting freely, Toole makes a reference to it somewhere).

And Olive later said the music selection is one of the biggest influences and subsequently tried to eliminate the effect on the studies. He then showed that (and also to probably to simplify things) that certain tracks and pink noise are sufficient without compromising the applicability of the studies, which resulted in the “Harman preference curve”, to other music genres (as seen in the paper you linked).

At least that’s how I understood it.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hold on a sec, @HarmonicTHD.
Are you saying there were more than 4 music tracks utilized in Olive's research paper that correlated loudspeaker preferences with measurements?
And that I deliberately picked only the tracks that were considered "rock music" in order to mislead people here?
There was a reason why I asked you to read up more and not just pick bits and pieces without having read the larger context.

I can’t say anything about your intent.

Last edited:

TrevC

Getting back to the topic of the thread. Is there anyone on here that has heard both speakers that are being compared?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Getting back to the topic of the thread. Is there anyone on here that has heard both speakers that are being compared?
I did. But it doesn’t matter as the test was done sighted and my impression is worthless to anyone else as it only applies to me in that room with all my biases affecting the results.

And that’s why I don’t make statements on sound because there is no validity in it without proper control and statistical relevance for it to be also true for a significant other number of people for them to base a purchase decision on it.

Many reviewer and influencers and dealers do just that to sell you the most expensive product. That’s why people get challenged here if they make such claims to provide facts / evidence and not anecdotes / opinions.

Last edited:

TrevC

I did. But it doesn’t matter as the test was done sighted and my impression is worthless to anyone else as it only applies to me in that room with all my biases affecting the results.

And that’s why I don’t make statements on sound because there is no validity in it without proper control and statistical relevance for it to be also true for a significant other number of people for them to base a purchase decision on it.

Many reviewer and influencers and dealers do just that to sell you the most expensive product. That’s why people get challenged here if they make such claims to provide facts / evidence and not anecdotes / opinions.
You must be hell to go shopping with.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
T
You must be hell to go shopping with.
That what my wife says ;-) I take it as a compliment :)

Look here this it what we want to avoid that consumers get taken for a ride without having the chance of making an informed decision based on replicable data which are at least to some extent are valid for a significant number of people (read to the part where he tries to return his 4500USD headphone cables).

Last edited:

test1223

White noise / pink noise needs a bit of training for sure. I have heard it many times for speaker measurements. With white noise it is more easy to hear the higher frequencies (obviously). Since the room and speaker position alters everything below 300Hz I wouldn't use pink noise since you didn't get much inside in this lower frequencies with it anyways since you hear mainly the resonances of the room and placement.

IMHO you overcompensate the fact that it is very hard to impossible to reliably test "small" differences without some kind of blind experiment. Bigger differences like differences of loudspeakers can be much better observed even without a blind test. Yes there might be a bias but you can only be tricked to some extent. Therefore condemning all sighted test is the same nonsense like taken ever sighted test as accurate data.

And Olive later said the music selection is one of the biggest influences and subsequently tried to eliminate the effect on the studies. He then showed that (and also to probably to simplify things) that certain tracks and pink noise are sufficient without compromising the applicability of the studies, which resulted in the “Harman preference curve”, to other music genres (as seen in the paper you linked).

At least that’s how I understood it.
You can see it from two sides. The music selection which is more similar to noise is better at revealing linear frequency differences. Linear frequency differences are the most important parts of the quality differences of typical loudspeakers. On the other had if you use music like the SQAM material you need longer to get the same impression of the linear frequency differences but you also get more inside of other distortion which isn't included in the preference score model and which is especially interesting if the speakers are more similar from the spinorama data.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
White noise / pink noise needs a bit of training for sure. I have heard it many times for speaker measurements. With white noise it is more easy to hear the higher frequencies (obviously). Since the room and speaker position alters everything below 300Hz I wouldn't use pink noise since you didn't get much inside in this lower frequencies with it anyways since you hear mainly the resonances of the room and placement.
I would consider in that case rather band limited pink noise as with white noise the higher frequencies are perceived stronger.

test1223

I would consider in that case rather band limited pink noise as with white noise the higher frequencies are perceived stronger.
Yes you can do that. Pink noise might be better to judge one error over another error than using white noise. But you have to have some experience how different good loudspeaker room combinations sound with that exact noise signal.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes you can do that. Pink noise might be better to judge one error over another error than using white noise. But you have to have some experience how different good loudspeaker room combinations sound with that exact noise signal.
Yes. I presume that’s why Olive used trained listeners in his later studies and I think to remember that Amir took one of these trainings (I might be wrong though).

Top Bottom