• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 meta Measurements

MacCali

Major Contributor
Has there been any updates on the R6 Meta measurement?
I just bought the R7 none meta, as they are discontinued and prices fell super sharp. I also bought the R3 for comparison, clearly all we are seeking is the upper performance as the bass can be supplemented with an external woofer.

I must say I am far more impressed with the R7. After watching Erin's review I see that sitting under the tweeter isn't best and I am not sure how much of an effect that plays. I have 36" speaker stands and I put a 15 degree tilt to try and correct this, so I am guessing it definitely was mitigated.

Seems like the same thing, not sure why towers make a much greater wall of sound, that front row stage experience. Bass is very much present and it seems to be a lot smoother on the top which is probably strange or in part due to that dip. Seems like dynamic layering is better or more perceivable vs the books, lows and highs in volume seem accelerate and decelerate better

Overall an excellent speaker, and I am not sure what the exact side by side of the R7 vs the R3 meta is. But I can assure you wont be disappointed by the R7 and save yourself a ton of money.

I have a lot of speakers, but currently on my main listening room I have been juggling the Elac Adante's towers, measurements wise not crazy but honestly a speaker I do enjoy. Also the Infinity R 263, which measurements wise and subjectively is an excellent sounding speaker. These[R7] definitely hold their own and provide a different presentation and I am guessing since both the R 263 and R7 both are very well behaved speakers the room interaction factor with the R7 is far possibly providing this outstanding performance.

I only have my first reflection points treated. Erin suggested using the R3's without them in use, so I removed them.

Punter16

@Nygafre:A thousand thanks.

Do you find that even the "Meta" series is balanced on the mid-high frequencies like the old R3s?

I can't stand loudspeakers with the treble pushed too far and with the sibilant "C" "S" - "Z" that drill the ears!

As a color I really like "special edition" Blu Indigo only the golden mid/tweeter maybe it's too flashy they could have made that blue too.

Thanks again, I'll update you on what I'll do soon.
The R3 Metas definitely have no exaggeration regarding sibilance. They are very neutral and flat. For me, they err on the side of too compressed and flat BUT I saw some other reviews from people stating that they seem to open up over time.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
The R3 Metas definitely have no exaggeration regarding sibilance. They are very neutral and flat. For me, they err on the side of too compressed and flat BUT I saw some other reviews from people stating that they seem to open up over time.
Can I ask what you are using to power them? I agree that the KEF sound signature - if there is one - tends to err on the polite, boring side (though not as much as haters claim), and I think the key is POWER. The LS50WII system is 380 watts per channel and the LS60 is 700. KEF is trying to tell us without telling us that their speakers need high quality power, and LOTS of it. With my LS50W2s and a pair of KC62s, I am running a 1380 watt per channel system for a driver configuration similar to the R7 Meta.

Punter16

Can I ask what you are using to power them? I agree that the KEF sound signature - if there is one - tends to err on the polite, boring side (though not as much as haters claim), and I think the key is POWER. The LS50WII system is 380 watts per channel and the LS60 is 700. KEF is trying to tell us without telling us that their speakers need high quality power, and LOTS of it. With my LS50W2s and a pair of KC62s, I am running a 1380 watt per channel system for a driver configuration similar to the R7 Meta.
I've used multiple set-ups in different rooms. One room has Parasound Halo gear (Halo mini...125 watts X 2) and another is using a Def Tech WAMP (streaming amp @ 125 watts). The WAMP ain't great but the Halo is decent stuff.

I've never liked the power argument as if I need a $6500 integrated amplifier to push something (as an example), why would I not just buy much more expensive speakers and have a nice day?

So far, the compressed and flat signature isn't up-to-par for a $2K+ pair of speakers. As an example, when I placed the Martin Logan B100 bookshelves or some older Focal 806S models in the exact spots with the same amps, both options provided detail and depth that the R3s don't. I'm familiar with the Q series KEF sound (and I like them at the price point) but this is the first R series that I've had some time with.

With that said, I am optimistic that they will hopefully open up over time. I've got maybe 10-15 hours of louder listening so far (a lot more at lower volumes). I saw a review from a guy that seemed to know what he was talking about (his initial impression was exactly the same as mine where I haven't seen this in many other reviews) and he was pleased once the speakers had more time. I would hope to see better imaging or more 3D presence at this price point.

I'll report in once I have more time on them OR if I get something else connected with more juice than my Halo amp.

Alexx

@Punter16 :
Thanks a lot for the explanation.

Until early June I won't be able to listen to them (in Italy it seems they don't arrive before this date).

Anyway I won't buy them sight unseen, I have to first compare them with my R3 (not Meta) to understand how much difference there is and above all if it's worth it...

I say this because I've already had a disappointment with a power cable paid for around 300 euros, on paper it seems excellent while I don't like it at all...so never buy in the dark again!
See you soon.

muad

I say this because I've already had a disappointment with a power cable paid for around 300 euros, on paper it seems excellent while I don't like it at all...so never buy in the dark again!
Lmao

You're being sarcastic right?

Alexx

No no sadly serious.

I had noise problems with some interference on the cables (solved in another way at a cost of 10 euros!!!).....the dealer suggested a particular filtered/shielded cable, with useless features, at a cost of around 300 euros.

It did absolutely nothing.

The problem isn't there, I have the free return and full refund option, but I won't take anything again without first trying it and realizing how it goes, sounds, if it works, etc., etc.
A greeting.

Descartes

Major Contributor
No no sadly serious.

I had noise problems with some interference on the cables (solved in another way at a cost of 10 euros!!!).....the dealer suggested a particular filtered/shielded cable, with useless features, at a cost of around 300 euros.

It did absolutely nothing.

The problem isn't there, I have the free return and full refund option, but I won't take anything again without first trying it and realizing how it goes, sounds, if it works, etc., etc.
A greeting.
You have been taken for a ride!!

300 Euro for a cable that cost him $5! Sorry for your loss!

Alexx

@Descartes:
It wasn't a 5 euro cable.

It was a special cable, shielded with ferrites, special plugs and various other things.

But I don't think it cost 300 euros either... at most 20 :) nor do I believe that the R3 Metas are worth 2200 euros (in Italy the old 4.5 million lire !!!).

Prices are out of control and if the dealers take advantage, see also the power cables of some models 1000 euros per metre, it's madness.

Returning to 3D as suggested, the only thing is to accept them and if possible make a comparison with R3 and R3 Meta.

Many times these small speaker differences are purely commercial, there are 20 year old speakers that can sound better than these modern ones.

I should do the test within the month of June and then evaluate, of course I'll also tell you my impressions.

If other forum users manage to do it sooner, their opinion will be very interesting.
See you soon.

Descartes

Major Contributor
@Descartes:
It wasn't a 5 euro cable.

It was a special cable, shielded with ferrites, special plugs and various other things.

But I don't think it cost 300 euros either... at most 20 :) nor do I believe that the R3 Metas are worth 2200 euros (in Italy the old 4.5 million lire !!!).

Prices are out of control and if the dealers take advantage, see also the power cables of some models 1000 euros per metre, it's madness.

Returning to 3D as suggested, the only thing is to accept them and if possible make a comparison with R3 and R3 Meta.

Many times these small speaker differences are purely commercial, there are 20 year old speakers that can sound better than these modern ones.

I should do the test within the month of June and then evaluate, of course I'll also tell you my impressions.

If other forum users manage to do it sooner, their opinion will be very interesting.
See you soon.
Seriously you buy that BS

“It was a special cable, shielded with ferrites, special plugs and various other things.”

The dealer pocketed at least 290 Euros profit on that cable! Don’t be fulled with these charlatans!!

Alexx

@Descartes:
You are definitely right.

Thank you very much for the link, in any case I have already made the return, within 7 days I will also have a refund.

Now I'm waiting to try the metas (they arrive in a few days) I must say that Kef with the launch of a new product has been far behind with deliveries...

Only one black pair arrived in Italy about two months ago and then nothing more! June should have the next deliveries.
Thanks again, see you soon.

nygafre

I’m currently driving my R3 Metas with a Powernode N330. I am wondering if there are any opinions on this pairing? (Is there anything to gain by getting a higher powered amp/something different?)

My room is 20sqm, and I only listen at moderate levels. The 80w/ch Powernode is more than enough for this.
I have to say I somewhat agree with previous postings that the R3’s sounds flat(in a good way), and perhaps a bit ‘compressed’.

I recently bought a NAD C316 V2 for fun, and have to say I’m enjoying it a lot with the Metas. If I didn’t have the Powernode already, I would be perfectly happy with the C316 v2 as my main amp. A bit surprised.

Chazz6

Is a FirstWatt F8 amp enough to drive R3 Meta's at modest listening levels?

Nelson Pass rates his amp at 25W at 8 ohms, 15W at 4 ohms.

The F8 does a great job driving my Focal Aria 906 pair, rated at 89.5 dB sensitivity. My loudest listening is well below shaking anything. If it helps, I set the RME ADI-2 DAC that feeds the F8 a -6dB at the loudest, usually more like -12 dB.

The R3 Meta manual states a minimum of 15W to drive the speakers. Some users emphasize the need for lots of current, although it is implied this is for louder than I need.

Too bad we can't go to a local store and arrange to rent a pair for a couple of days, applying the rent toward purchase if we choose to buy.

Ricwa

Forum Donor
Is a FirstWatt F8 amp enough to drive R3 Meta's at modest listening levels?

Nelson Pass rates his amp at 25W at 8 ohms, 15W at 4 ohms.

The F8 does a great job driving my Focal Aria 906 pair, rated at 89.5 dB sensitivity. My loudest listening is well below shaking anything. If it helps, I set the RME ADI-2 DAC that feeds the F8 a -6dB at the loudest, usually more like -12 dB.

The R3 Meta manual states a minimum of 15W to drive the speakers. Some users emphasize the need for lots of current, although it is implied this is for louder than I need.

Too bad we can't go to a local store and arrange to rent a pair for a couple of days, applying the rent toward purchase if we choose to buy.

I have both Aria 906 K2 and LS-50 Metas. I find my First Watt SIT-3 to be more than adequate with the Aria 906’s but inadequate with the Kefs.

regan

I just bought the R7 none meta, as they are discontinued and prices fell super sharp. I also bought the R3 for comparison, clearly all we are seeking is the upper performance as the bass can be supplemented with an external woofer.

I must say I am far more impressed with the R7. After watching Erin's review I see that sitting under the tweeter isn't best and I am not sure how much of an effect that plays. I have 36" speaker stands and I put a 15 degree tilt to try and correct this, so I am guessing it definitely was mitigated.

Seems like the same thing, not sure why towers make a much greater wall of sound, that front row stage experience. Bass is very much present and it seems to be a lot smoother on the top which is probably strange or in part due to that dip. Seems like dynamic layering is better or more perceivable vs the books, lows and highs in volume seem accelerate and decelerate better

Overall an excellent speaker, and I am not sure what the exact side by side of the R7 vs the R3 meta is. But I can assure you wont be disappointed by the R7 and save yourself a ton of money.

I have a lot of speakers, but currently on my main listening room I have been juggling the Elac Adante's towers, measurements wise not crazy but honestly a speaker I do enjoy. Also the Infinity R 263, which measurements wise and subjectively is an excellent sounding speaker. These[R7] definitely hold their own and provide a different presentation and I am guessing since both the R 263 and R7 both are very well behaved speakers the room interaction factor with the R7 is far possibly providing this outstanding performance.

I only have my first reflection points treated. Erin suggested using the R3's without them in use, so I removed them.
So would you say R7 + sub are significantly better sounding than R3 + sub?

Top Bottom