• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R3 distance from wall help. Also, good to pair with goldenear center?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
you also have the space above the TV to mount either to the tv bracket somehow, or the ceiling tilted downward. Or on the hearth if you don't ever use the fireplace.

OP
D

Danskir

Nice place!

From what I see there, KEF speakers are a very good choice for that room. If it were my house, I would start with a pair of R3s and see if I actually miss the center.

BTW, KEF has some slim center channel speakers similar to the Goldenear that would be a better match to R3s:

The tweeter in the Goldenear speaker is very limited in vertical dispersion, which is not a problem with the KEF versions.
Thanks! I was contemplating those Kef center speakers. Correct me if I’m wrong - They actually appear to be 3 channel soundbars that can be turned into a center channel with an adapter.

OP
D

Danskir

The ascend acoustic duo v2 center would be better than all of these soundbar looking centers? Even if pairing with the R3’s?

At that point would I be better off just going with a pair of ascend accoustics bookshelf speakers instead of the R3’s?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ascend acoustic duo v2 center would be better than all of these soundbar looking centers? Even if pairing with the R3’s?

At that point would I be better off just going with a pair of ascend accoustics bookshelf speakers instead of the R3’s?
Why?

Keep the R3 as their phantom center could be better than a bad soundbar. Just try it out. If you don’t like it you can still order a center later.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

What I like about the R3 for your room is its relatively narrow horizontal dispersion pattern. That will help with the side wall proximity. Ascend speakers are great, but they are much wider dispersion speakers that really light up the side walls.

HooStat

With the R3, I would just go with a phantom center. I did that for many years with KEF Q300's. It sounded great. It is hard to find a good center that fits.

Some TV mounts have flexibility in mounting -- do you know if you can adjust your TV to be a little higher, then some KEF units might fit. And you might be able to mount a speaker above the TV.

HeadDoc12

From the picture you added, it looks like you have a decent amount of wiggle room to move the speakers (closer to each other/TV, and further from side walls), so that might be worth experimenting with. I have been using a pair of LS50 Wireless II speakers for TV for a couple years. They are only about 6 feet apart - also the TV is a few years old so it uses ARC, not eARC, for the HDMI connection - and I never notice the missing center channel. My TV might be a little higher than yours in relation to the speakers, or about the same. I agree with others here recommending holding off on the center until you give the R3s a shot without it.

OP
D

Danskir

With the R3, I would just go with a phantom center. I did that for many years with KEF Q300's. It sounded great. It is hard to find a good center that fits.

Some TV mounts have flexibility in mounting -- do you know if you can adjust your TV to be a little higher, then some KEF units might fit. And you might be able to mount a speaker above the TV.
You’ve got me thinking about possibly installing an in wall center above the tv… anybody know whether kef’s in wall speakers around this price range are going to be an improvement over a phantom channel With the R3’s? Or an improvement over using ascends accoustics duo v2 center?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You’ve got me thinking about possibly installing an in wall center above the tv… anybody know whether kef’s in wall speakers around this price range are going to be an improvement over a phantom channel With the R3’s? Or an improvement over using ascends accoustics duo v2 center?
I think that is (almost) impossible to predict remotely (at least for me) and I would not want to sent down the wrong path. Certainly anything is better than the Ascends but if it’s better than R3 phantom center nobody probably knows for sure.
Maybe the problem even solves itself - if you love the phantom center you won’t feel the urge to change anything. If it sucks big time well then you know you have to take action.

When are the R3s coming?

HooStat

TV over the fireplace is just full of issues -- no way around it. In wall is hard. There might be a stud where you don't want it. You have ceiling reflections and the edge of the TV. I would probably mount an actual speaker there and direct it at the listening position. Having said that, I have heard good things about KEF architectural speakers.

There are other companies that specialize in built-in speakers and you could mount a center in your ceiling (it would be angled down behind the grille). Triad makes a lot of good choices.

I used on-ceiling speakers (from the mostly defunct company Thiel) for a few years and generally liked it but I wouldn't do it again. When I say "liked" it was good enough that I didn't want to go through the hassle of changing it.

But as others have said, a phantom center is often great.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
It is notable that Ascend does not publish a horizontal dispersion contour plot for the Duo V2 Center, but they do publish one for all their non-MTM centers, such as the Sierra LX Center.

OP
D

Danskir

I think that is (almost) impossible to predict remotely (at least for me) and I would not want to sent down the wrong path. Certainly anything is better than the Ascends but if it’s better than R3 phantom center nobody probably knows for sure.
Maybe the problem even solves itself - if you love the phantom center you won’t feel the urge to change anything. If it sucks big time well then you know you have to take action.

When are the R3s coming?
Hopefully Thursday…

OP
D

Danskir

Hi All. I received the R3’s… very happy with them. Not missing the center at all. Sounds amazing. So much better than my old klipsch rf52 ii setup even with the matching center. Thanks so much for the guidance. You were all very helpful.

Top Bottom