• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R3 Bookshelf Speaker Review (Erin's Audio Corner)

Streamc

What?! Even in your graph Aria have more bass on 60-80Hz region. Than Aria have rolloff. Kef really have more subbass but with -6Db. It is hardly to compare. So Ok. Wait to same graph with Elac UBR62 comparing to Kef R3. Anyway I like Kef more than Aria906. Aria sounded like my Debut B6.2 sometimes

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What?! Even in your graph Aria have more bass on 60-80Hz region. Than Aria have rolloff. Kef really have more subbass but with -6Db. It is hardly to compare. So Ok. Wait to same graph with Elac UBR62 comparing to Kef R3. Anyway I like Kef more than Aria906. Aria sounded like my Debut B6.2 sometimes

Yes, that's what I said =] the Aria has has a tiny bit more bass from 60-100hz, while the R3 has a lot more energy below 60Hz. In a real room, that extra sub-bass makes a big difference thanks to boundary and room gain and I am confident it would be heard as having more bass to most people. Of course, this depends on your room's response and where your peaks and nulls lie, but nonetheless, the R3 is the bassier speaker to me.

Not just because of the measurements either. I have heard the R3 and the Chora 806 in my own home. The 806 measures very similarly to the Aria 906 but with a tiny bit more bass, and in my own home and identical setups, and the KEF definitely had more noticeable bass.

As for the ELAC UBR62, Erin just posted his review here. Here are how his measurements compare to the R3.

R3 UBR62.png

Similar story. The UBR62 has more bass from 60-100Hz, the KEF has more bass below that. In this case it's a bit more balanced between the two speakers though, so the UBR62 will likely sound more bass with some music and the R3 with others.

Looking at your FR of Polk it seems like ideal standmount size speaker. Even better than Kef R3

The Polk R200 is very good. It is possible there are resonances in the lower mids that my measurements are unable to capture, and the R3 may have a bit more of an accurate soundstage, but yes, I liked that Polk a lot and it will throw a slightly wider image.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are ignoring room effect too much.
The biggest influence of the bass you hear from the speaker is where it (and you) are in the room.
A speaker with flat anechoic bass will excite room modes more strongly.
The KEF slow roll off in the bass compensates for this quite well in most domestic rooms and reduces the common boomy bass problem.
If you listen to church organ, electronic music and film sound tracks having a lot of low bass is worthwhile, there is rarely anything that low in rock music (a the lowest note on a bass guitar is 41Hz iirc)

Streamc

I think you are ignoring room effect too much.
The biggest influence of the bass you hear from the speaker is where it (and you) are in the room.
music (a the lowest note on a bass guitar is 41Hz iirc)
I do noot need 40Hz but need 50Hz. Also I want listen "Breath" by Prodigy. I have listened in prepared audioroom, yes. Not in real setup. I like heavy metal.

Streamc

Looking at your FR of Polk it seems like ideal standmount size speaker. Even better than Kef R3
It is not statement. It is only observe of FR. They sound different. I have heard R3 alive on Unico amp (I think I need relisten it on another amp). I like R200 bass on youtube.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just had my R3s installed - subjectively, LS50s on steroids!

Horowitz’s piano is a PIANO.

UPDATE:

So, added a sub...SVS 3000 Micro. Another octave with accompanying smiles.

That’s all, folks ;-)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Streamc

The KEF R3 has much more lower port distortion than the Focal Aria. The distortion at low-ish listening volumes will give the illusion of more sub-bass but in higher levels it would make the Focal unlistenable.

Streamc

@Streamc

The KEF R3 has much more lower port distortion than the Focal Aria. The distortion at low-ish listening volumes will give the illusion of more sub-bass but in higher levels it would make the Focal unlistenable.
I do not need high volume in 2.7m ft 3.7meter. I am choosing over KEF R3 or studio monitors like hm do not know) Neumann kh120 or focal shape or some with AMT tweeter or elac bs243 with AMT

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not need high volume in 2.7m ft 3.7meter. I am choosing over KEF R3 or studio monitors like hm do not know) Neumann kh120 or focal shape or some with AMT tweeter or elac bs243 with AMT

well the threshold of audibility for sub-bass is 70 dB do yeah it's not an option to 'not need high volume'.

Streamc

well the threshold of audibility for sub-bass is 70 dB do yeah it's not an option to 'not need high volume'.
So ok. But studio monitors have more sub bass. I can't decide. I listened KEF in prepared room. And studio monitor in concrete wall room.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So ok. But studio monitors have more sub bass. I can't decide. I listened KEF in prepared room. And studio monitor in concrete wall room.

IMO there is literally no hope of determining how much bass comparable(no huge size differences) speakers have by ear unless:
a) You're comparing in the same room.
b) You are properly correcting room issues with EQ.

If those two factors aren't in place, comparing the bass of two similar-sized speakers by listening is pointless. It is completely random whether what you hear is reality or just one speaker exciting modes where the other does not, etc. If you are measuring and experienced with room correcting, then maybe you can even compare across rooms. But VERY carefully.

Streamc

IMO there is literally no hope of determining how much bass comparable(no huge size differences) speakers have by ear unless:
a) You're comparing in the same room.
b) You are properly correcting room issues with EQ.
100 percent. Obviously

Last edited:
Top Bottom