• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef r3, arcam sa10 good pairing?

K20voigt

hello guys i need some help with my setup.
I have the kef r3 paired with an arcam sa10 but im not enjoying it for me sounds like a little bit dead like the speakers are just not getting enough juice and not crisp enough so i was thinking maybe this combination Rotel RB-1582 with Rotel RC-1572 or if anyone have a better idea under 1,800usd..
Im new into the audiophile world so please bear with me lol

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the kef r3 paired with an arcam sa10 but im not enjoying it for me sounds like a little bit dead like the speakers are just not getting enough juice and not crisp enough so i was thinking maybe this combination Rotel RB-1582 with Rotel RC-1572 or if anyone have a better idea under 1,800usd..
How far do you sit from the speakers and how large is your space? Are you using a sub? Getting more "juice" usually doesn't equate to a different sound from speakers. Have you used a calculator to determine your needs?

OP
K

K20voigt

How far do you sit from the speakers and how large is your space? Are you using a sub? Getting more "juice" usually doesn't equate to a different sound from speakers. Have you used a calculator to determine your needs?

Hello thanks for your reply , the room is 11 by 12 , no subwoofer, my listening position is 10ft from the speakers and they are 8inch from the wall 6ft apart ... im going to play with the calculator now had no idea that existed

DMill

The Arcam might be a bit underpowered with only 50 watts. Just keep in mind that double the power only gets you +3db. So your 200watt Rotel is +6db. At lower SPL I think it‘d be hard to tell the difference between the two. My first “Audiophile“ Amp was a Rotel. A 985 or something like that IIRC. Really loved that amp, but that was a long time ago, so I can’t speak to Rotel’s current offerings. Most on this site would reco a Class D amp based around Hypex or Purifi. Not sure where you live, but there’s a number of great options. Buckeye here in the states being just one. If you want stay with a A/B amp I kinda love the Yamaha offerings. You can get 100watts for less than $900 in an 801 or 701. For your budget you might even score an AS1200 with VU meters if that’s your thing for $2kish if you shop around. I doubt I’d hear much difference between a Yamaha 801 or an AS1200. But it’s your $1k, not mine. :). There are many cheaper options than these from Chinese manufacturers like Topping that test great also. Hell, the Sonos Amp is $700 for 125watts, has HDMI and streams music too. Just depends on what features you want.

OP
K

K20voigt

The Arcam might be a bit underpowered with only 50 watts. Just keep in mind that double the power only gets you +3db. So your 200watt Rotel is +6db. At lower SPL I think it‘d be hard to tell the difference between the two. My first “Audiophile“ Amp was a Rotel. A 985 or something like that IIRC. Really loved that amp, but that was a long time ago, so I can’t speak to Rotel’s current offerings. Most on this site would reco a Class D amp based around Hypex or Purifi. Not sure where you live, but there’s a number of great options. Buckeye here in the states being just one. If you want stay with a A/B amp I kinda love the Yamaha offerings. You can get 100watts for less than $900 in an 801 or 701. For your budget you might even score an AS1200 with VU meters if that’s your thing for $2kish if you shop around. I doubt I’d hear much difference between a Yamaha 801 or an AS1200. But it’s your $1k, not mine. :). There are many cheaper options than these from Chinese manufacturers like Topping that test great also. Hell, the Sonos Amp is $700 for 125watts, has HDMI and streams music too. Just depends on what features you want.
Thanks for your reply as Features the only thing that concerns me is that i want the device to have a pre out so i can connect my home theater for more power. also it would be nice if i can match all the devices hence my combo pre amp , amp ..

josefK666

I'm not too sure of your use-case now as you are talking about 'Home Theatre' use. If that's an important component of your overall listening habits then I would be sorely tempted to first get a subwoofer and then perhaps try to get something like the older Denon X3700. It's a very decent all-round AVR and comes with Audyssey XT 32 room correction. Getting a sub and room correction software are more likely to help with the issues you describe then simply going for more power in a stereo amp imho.........

Everett T

Forum Donor
Hello thanks for your reply , the room is 11 by 12 , no subwoofer, my listening position is 10ft from the speakers and they are 8inch from the wall 6ft apart ... im going to play with the calculator now had no idea that existed
What did the calculator tell you? Also which wall do you sit at? 11x12 is a tuff room and room acoustics maybe your issue with the sound.

I don't think your reciever is causing bad sound, although more power maybe needed for your listening habits. I'd invest in a measurement microphone before you spend any money and see what is going on. This calculator will give you some more information to work with in the meantime

Last edited:
OP
K

K20voigt

What did the calculator tell you? Also which wall do you sit at? 11x12 is a tuff room and room acoustics maybe your issue with the sound.

I don't think your reciever is causing bad sound, although more power maybe needed for your listening habits. I'd invest in a measurement microphone before you spend any money and see what is going on. This calculator will give you some more information to work with in the meantime
97.3 dB SPL at listening postion (not taking into consideration speaker placement) 103.3 dB SPL at 18 to 24 inch from wall mine are at 8inch , hmm I'm thinking the same now is an apartment room , full carpet big tv ,computer, desktop, big couch ,maybe the room is too crowded ?? so I wouldn't beneficiate at all if I'll go with The Rotel RB-1582 / RC-1572 .. :/

Everett T

Forum Donor
97.3 dB SPL at listening postion (not taking into consideration speaker placement) 103.3 dB SPL at 18 to 24 inch from wall mine are at 8inch , hmm I'm thinking the same now is an apartment room , full carpet big tv ,computer, desktop, big couch ,maybe the room is too crowded ?? so I wouldn't beneficiate at all if I'll go with The Rotel RB-1582 / RC-1572 .. :/
Things in the room like that aren't going to hurt unless you have boxes yourself into a square with your seat and the speakers. The larger amps won't hurt, they just aren't your real issue.

I'd would move the speakers(or yourself in a chair) around 10 or 12 inches at a time and see if you can hear a major difference in the sound. Pick a simple recording that you know with as few instruments as possible and single vocal.

Top Bottom