• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R Series Internal cabling

Crosstalk

I recently bought a KEF R11 and I really like how they sound. I recently came across a tear down video of the same speaker
. Everything looks nice but the internal cabling looks very generic. Do cables make a difference? If not, why the Reference series have very thick "higher end" cables? I guess its not aesthetics as they are inside the box where no one would see them. Anyone tried upgrading the R series cables?

jonfitch

Usher Audio once had Danny Ritchie at GR Research design an export version of their Usher BE-718 speakers, which retailed for $1400 in Taiwan. Danny added some silver speaker cables and tweaked the crossover a little bit, and the export version had a price of $2795.

I bought both for giggles and couldn’t really measure any difference between either version. I would say the cabling thing is all hype rather than providing any real benefit.

Beave

Major Contributor
I recently bought a KEF R11 and I really like how they sound. I recently came across a tear down video of the same speaker
. Everything looks nice but the internal cabling looks very generic. Do cables make a difference? If not, why the Reference series have very thick "higher end" cables? I guess its not aesthetics as they are inside the box where no one would see them. Anyone tried upgrading the R series cables?

It's not the wiring that you should be worried about. It's the screws that mate the drivers to the front baffle. They're clearly not audiophile screws.

I bet the soundstage widens like crazy, and veils are lifted, when proper audiophile screws are used instead of those generic steel ones that KEF chose.

Katji

Major Contributor
Anyone tried upgrading the R series cables?
What do you mean by "upgrading"?

If not, why the Reference series have very thick "higher end" cables?
So they can market them as "Reference", sell them and get money. ...We all need money, to maintain our lives.

Do cables make a difference?
At the top right of the forum page is the Search button. If you do a search for [cables difference] or something, you will get results listing of hundreds of posts. Of course. Including some that get into technical detail. Up to you whether you read some of it for 10 minutes or 10 hours whatever.

Top Bottom