• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We need to talk about meta here.

Agreed. I'll just finish with this reply..

Therefore let’s once again conclude that subjective reviews are useless because the sound they hear depends on their hearing abitility and the room acoustics and the music they choose.

No "we" won't conclude that. You can. Some of us disagree and we've already explained why.

These three things won’t be same for all the listeners, hence an opinion of this particular combination is bullshit unless the listener has exactly the same three things. Let’s talk R META.

No, that's just exaggerating. Audiophiles have been successfully communicating information about how products sound to each other, helping each other make purchases, for decades. For instance, I have gone in to detail on other forums with my listening notes for speakers I own. Some others reading those have felt that was the type of sound they were looking for, so they sought out the same speakers and reported they sounded just as I described. A number of them made purchases of those speakers, ecstatic that they found just what they'd been looking for...because another audiophile could indicate their strengths and weaknesses fairly accurately.

Sorry...it really isn't as hopeless as you have concluded.

Audio memory is not that good , when a reviewer compares to speakers that are not even there in the room , you know there’s a problem :) usually comparing to something they had 6 months ago...

Audio memory is poor for subtle differences, but not as bad for more distinct differences. That's why we generally can recognize a well known voice on the phone even if we haven't talked for quite a while. It's not "who is this, Donald Trump?" Oh...sorry Mom...yeah I haven't phoned..."

I have long owned several pairs of speakers at once. I don't forget how any of them sound. I can describe the sound of each one (including just about any speaker I've owned over the decades). I just put my Joseph speakers in my system for the first time in about a year (I'd been using my Thiels). They sound exactly as I knew them to sound. No surprises - the bass, mids, highs, imaging etc - all differed from the Thiels in exactly the way I remembered. I could have easily compared the sound of the Thiels to the sound I knew from the Josephs even after a year.

Have you ever owned more than one speaker? If so, do you truly totally forget the characteristics of each and how they differ? Like "why did I buy that speaker again...?"

BTW, if audio memory were truly that poor, I couldn't do my job. I've acquired and recorded (and continue to do so) a very large sound library for my work in sound editing. Lots of it is in my memory (and the more times I've used a sound, the easier it is to recall - and I recognize common sound library sounds when watching movies all the time - "I know that door creak..."). When on a job, when faced with an effect I need to cover, I will still recall many of the specific sounds I gathered months ago "I have just the sound for that." In fact I can recall many of the sounds I have used for all sorts of films over decades. Earlier today I called up some sounds I remembered creating for a show around 2007 (A certain whooshing texture, and some ghostly vocals with a particular reverb). The sound was just as I recalled it and fit what I needed to cover. I do this all the time.

So, yes, audio memory can be fickle, especially if we are trying to detect subtle differences. But larger differences can be committed to memory pretty well (or tons of people who work in sound - music production/TV/Film production etc - wouldn't be able to work efficiently). I have no trouble believing that some reveiwers can still remember the sound of speakers they reviewed 6 months ago to at least give some broad stroke distinctions between another speaker they are currently reviewing.

You can ofcourse remember if you enjoyed listening to music trough them as I do remember fun times with the speakers I had years ago . But I can not describe their sound in detail.

Ok. I can, though. I know exactly what sonic characteristics I liked about every speaker I've owned - why I bought them in the first place - and exactly where I found them lacking (hence why I may have moved on to the next speakers). So can other audiophiles and at least some reviewers I believe.

Back to the KEF...

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agreed. I'll just finish with this reply..

No "we" won't conclude that. You can. Some of us disagree and we've already explained why.

No, that's just exaggerating. Audiophiles have been successfully communicating information about how products sound to each other, helping each other make purchases, for decades. For instance, I have gone in to detail on other forums with my listening notes for speakers I own. Some others reading those have felt that was the type of sound they were looking for, so they sought out the same speakers and reported they sounded just as I described. A number of them made purchases of those speakers, ecstatic that they found just what they'd been looking for...because another audiophile could indicate their strengths and weaknesses fairly accurately.

Sorry...it really isn't as hopeless as you have concluded.

Audio memory is poor for subtle differences, but not as bad for more distinct differences. That's why we generally can recognize a well known voice on the phone even if we haven't talked for quite a while. It's not "who is this, Donald Trump?" Oh...sorry Mom...yeah I haven't phoned..."

I have long owned several pairs of speakers at once. I don't forget how any of them sound. I can describe the sound of each one (including just about any speaker I've owned over the decades). I just put my Joseph speakers in my system for the first time in about a year (I'd been using my Thiels). They sound exactly as I knew them to sound. No surprises - the bass, mids, highs, imaging etc - all differed from the Thiels in exactly the way I remembered. I could have easily compared the sound of the Thiels to the sound I knew from the Josephs even after a year.

Have you ever owned more than one speaker? If so, do you truly totally forget the characteristics of each and how they differ? Like "why did I buy that speaker again...?"

BTW, if audio memory were truly that poor, I couldn't do my job. I've acquired and recorded (and continue to do so) a very large sound library for my work in sound editing. Lots of it is in my memory (and the more times I've used a sound, the easier it is to recall - and I recognize common sound library sounds when watching movies all the time - "I know that door creak..."). When on a job, when faced with an effect I need to cover, I will still recall many of the specific sounds I gathered months ago "I have just the sound for that." In fact I can recall many of the sounds I have used for all sorts of films over decades. Earlier today I called up some sounds I remembered creating for a show around 2007 (A certain whooshing texture, and some ghostly vocals with a particular reverb). The sound was just as I recalled it and fit what I needed to cover. I do this all the time.

So, yes, audio memory can be fickle, especially if we are trying to detect subtle differences. But larger differences can be committed to memory pretty well (or tons of people who work in sound - music production/TV/Film production etc - wouldn't be able to work efficiently). I have no trouble believing that some reveiwers can still remember the sound of speakers they reviewed 6 months ago to at least give some broad stroke distinctions between another speaker they are currently reviewing.

Ok. I can, though. I know exactly what sonic characteristics I liked about every speaker I've owned - why I bought them in the first place - and exactly where I found them lacking (hence why I may have moved on to the next speakers). So can other audiophiles and at least some reviewers I believe.

Back to the KEF...
I see no reason for such a long butthurt reply unless you are associated with or you yourself are doing idiotic impression reviews somewhere. If that’s the case I understand the pain, but those kind of dumb impressions have no place in this website ! Now back to KEF!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see no reason for such a long butthurt reply unless you are associated with or you yourself are doing idiotic impression reviews somewhere. If that’s the case I understand the pain, but those kind of dumb impressions have no place in this website ! Now back to KEF!

You don’t get to say what has and hasn’t a place on this website.

This is not a cult, it’s not just members that have Klippel NFS that can share their opinions.

Even Amir shares his impressions all the time and bases his recommendations on them.

May i remind everyone that the original KEF R3 was NOT recommended here?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
May i remind everyone that the original KEF R3 was NOT recommended here?
Initially but that was just because of a room mode, he later corrected his review:

EDIT: later testing showed that the room mode at about 105 Hz was impacting the tonality of the speaker. Once I filtered that, the sound was very good. I have since made this part of the protocol.

Adi777

Audio memory is not that good , when a reviewer compares to speakers that are not even there in the room , you know there’s a problem :) usually comparing to something they had 6 months ago...

You can ofcourse remember if you enjoyed listening to music trough them as I do remember fun times with the speakers I had years ago . But I can not describe their sound in detail.
I think, that a lot of people - not only audiophiles - confuses auditory memory with remembering a sound from, say, a few months ago. Sure, we will remember the X speakers as playing, for example, a clear, neutral sound, or with some problem in the high frequencies, but that's not what memory is about. As far as I know, auditory memory lasts about a few seconds.

Last edited:

Uniqued

How will the r7 meta stands against reference 1 meta? For movies and music.
Considering upgrades from og ls50.
I will use it with a avr. (Maybe a more advanced one in the future).
I have DB1D as well.

It’s around 5400$ against 7500$-8000$ where I live.
So,
After 5 years with the great ls50, My new KEF reference 1 META with S-RF1 stands were delivered today.

I have DB1D and it's off at the moment for 2ch listening.

Outstanding.

Attachments

• IMG_7340.jpg
    IMG_7340.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_7339.jpg
    IMG_7339.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 290

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So,
After 5 years with the great ls50, My new KEF reference 1 META with S-RF1 stands were delivered today.

Outstanding.

Those are very fine looking speakers!

I appreciate when a company pays attention to aesthetics. Nothing wrong with some pride of ownership.

Talisman

Forum Donor
So,

Outstanding.
These speakers are so beautiful, that I would have such an intense listening bias that if a bluetooth speaker was playing behind them and I didn't know it, it would sound like angels singing

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't have to tell your friends you are serious about hifi if you have any of the Reference line in your living room. Especially the floorstanding beasts. :)

Descartes

Major Contributor
You don't have to tell your friends you are serious about hifi if you have any of the Reference line in your living room. Especially the floorstanding beasts. :)
I am more of a home theater aficionado myself! Bring in the 9.4.6

exm

I am more of a home theater aficionado myself! Bring in the 9.4.6

I can tell you from experience that the Reference floor standers work fine for home theater ;)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think, that a lot of people - not only audiophiles - confuses auditory memory with remembering a sound from, say, a few months ago. Sure, we will remember the X speakers as playing, for example, a clear, neutral sound, or with some problem in the high frequencies, but that's not what memory is about. As far as I know, auditory memory lasts about a few seconds.
Thakyou you explained it better than me.

I sure remember the general outline of speakers past :) . But it is futile to make detailed comparisons with a very similar speaker at hand right now ? for the case of a review where thoroughness and accuracy is needed. For the tiny differences you need near instant switching .

To make a good written(youtubed) comparative listening of say R7 and Ref 5 you need both at the same time

Top Bottom