• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think the two main advantages of active speakers are higher SPL capabilities and control over each driver which allows for easier integration and stuff like cardiod dispersion

Reactions: Zvu

Zvu

I think the two main advantages of active speakers are higher SPL capabilities and control over each driver which allows for easier integration and stuff like cardiod dispersion

-SPL capabilities aren't higher but actives start to limit the response of drivers to protect them. You can do that by saving presets on external DSP.
-Control over each driver for easier integration is cool, but that doesn't mean it can't be done with passive crossover, it just takes more knowledge.

The third/bolded one... Now that's where is at :) like from me :)

Now we come to Dutch&Dutch 8C, Kii Three and B&O Beolab 90. The latter even has the option of changing the directivity of the whole loudspeaker. Those three utilize DSP in a manner that can not be done with passive crossover and deserve to wear a crown.

My point on this matter is that all other actives just integrate electronics into a single cabinet, making it more convenient for use: but they don't do stuff other passive loudspeakers can't with adition of external dsp.

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
stuff like cardiod dispersion
''

Cardioid design​

The highly innovative cardioid midrange minimizes unwanted reflections from both side and back walls (up to 20 dB), and allows Krypton3’s to perform exceptionally well even in small rooms or close to large windows. ''

''

Midrange magic​

Low crossover point, seamless driver integration, easy placement and superb performance in any room. All thanks to innovative cardioid enclosure and our 5th generation waveguide.''
This speaker is cardiod and passive :)
krypton3-white.png

exm

^ that's a nice looking speaker.

juliangst

''

Midrange magic​

Low crossover point, seamless driver integration, easy placement and superb performance in any room. All thanks to innovative cardioid enclosure and our 5th generation waveguide.''
This speaker is cardiod and passive :)
krypton3-white.png
Damn, I didn’t know that was even possible. But I’m pretty sure it’s much easier to do actively

Daka

Says who?
Auditioned them in comparison and no contest. Also you can read plethora of reviews, measurements to see a clear picture they are excellent. You most likely need to go higher in reference line to beat them like Ref 3,or go ref 1 + sub at which point total cost makes the comparison apples to oranges. This a speaker where subwoofer is optional, not a must have. The only reason I didn’t go with them is relatively short warranty and probably poor resale value. Wish KEF did longer 5 years like Burchardt.
When talking about actives being overall better it’s in regards to price/value. You can find 15k dollar passive speakers which no doubt will be amazing. But the advantages of active design makes it simpler for manufacturer to create amazing speaker for less. This makes them generally better, if you need to spend considerably more to beat them.

exm

Auditioned them in comparison and no contest. Also you can read plethora of reviews, measurements to see a clear picture they are excellent. You most likely need to go higher in reference line to beat them like Ref 3,or go ref 1 + sub at which point total cost makes the comparison apples to oranges. This a speaker where subwoofer is optional, not a must have. The only reason I didn’t go with them is relatively short warranty and probably poor resale value. Wish KEF did longer 5 years like Burchardt.
When talking about actives being overall better it’s in regards to price/value. You can find 15k dollar passive speakers which no doubt will be amazing. But the advantages of active design makes it simpler for manufacturer to create amazing speaker for less. This makes them generally better, if you need to spend considerably more to beat them.

I'm sure they're fine speakers (haven't heard them), but how about multi-channel music or HT?

dogmamann

I'm sure they're fine speakers (haven't heard them), but how about multi-channel music or HT?
Use a receiver with preouts and ls50 metas for the rest of the setup.

Attachments

• 204ED4FA-1CD7-4B97-A67B-19356D2EC332.jpeg
    204ED4FA-1CD7-4B97-A67B-19356D2EC332.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 26

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Use a receiver with preouts and ls50 metas for the rest of the setup.
At some point, I hope KEF gives us an elegant solution that allows the user to expand the channels. Kind of "get the basic pair and add extra slave active speakers".

Daka

With Multichannel music or HT its center channel the star of the show and other speakers supporting it. So as long as you have very good center channel, in this case KEFs R6c (unless your budget allows reference 2c) - it will be very good.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
How would the KH150 for example compare to Reference 1 Meta as they're both 6.5 inch ?

dogmamann

How would the KH150 for example compare to Reference 1 Meta as they're both 6.5 inch ?
Reference 1 meta is better, as it can be connected to an amp with more SNR, than KH150 has.

Also KH150 cannot repoduce hi res music as it’s internal DSP is limited to 48Khz.

reference 1 meta is coaxial so, more coherent sounding, but limited in terms of horizontal dispersion.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-SPL capabilities aren't higher but actives start to limit the response of drivers to protect them. You can do that by saving presets on external DSP.
-Control over each driver for easier integration is cool, but that doesn't mean it can't be done with passive crossover, it just takes more knowledge.

The third/bolded one... Now that's where is at :) like from me :)

Now we come to Dutch&Dutch 8C, Kii Three and B&O Beolab 90. The latter even has the option of changing the directivity of the whole loudspeaker. Those three utilize DSP in a manner that can not be done with passive crossover and deserve to wear a crown.

My point on this matter is that all other actives just integrate electronics into a single cabinet, making it more convenient for use: but they don't do stuff other passive loudspeakers can't with adition of external dsp.
The passive crossover (which steals power) can be a non-linear factor when it heats up in a similar manner as the voice coil in the drivers, and you can't equalize the individual drivers to avoid potential phase anomalies that will show up off-axis regardless of on-axis EQ.

Other than that limiters and FIR filters in external dsp will for all practical purposes match the potential benefits of active speakers. Unless I forgot something?

Alexx

Were you able to understand if the difference in sound between R3 and R3 Meta mainly comes from the different choorosver?

I also read on other impressions that the Meta seems to have a little less bass despite having the same woofer...probably having less bass helps the mid-high range to be clearer?

There's still a lot of confusion, I found a last pair of R3's but if I don't get them today they'll sell them.

The problem that if the Meta don't like the old series is no longer there.
Thank you.

Zvu

... Other than that limiters and FIR filters in external dsp will for all practical purposes match the potential benefits of active speakers. Unless I forgot something?

Yup.

The passive crossover (which steals power) can be a non-linear factor when it heats up in a similar manner as the voice coil in the drivers...
Power compression, yes.

Some energy will unavoidably be transferred to heat in resistors for midrange and tweeter crossover since you need to attenuate them. That is a drawback of passives.
Actives have their own drawback since you are boosting bass, and by that some power will be transferred to heat in woofer voice coils.

It all depends on what you like to heat the most. Crossovers or voice coils.

... and you can't equalize the individual drivers to avoid potential phase anomalies that will show up off-axis regardless of on-axis EQ...

Phase anomalies ? Are you talking about time alignment at Z axis between drivers or phase anomalies of the individual transducers? Either way, you also can't do that with dsp actives. When you don't have physical time alignment, the best you can do (active or passive) is to time align the drivers at one particular, reference axis by adding delay. As you move off axis, time alignment will slowly deteriorate in actives too because relative distance of acoustic centers will change which requires different amount of delay.

Last edited:

mj30250

Reference 1 meta is better, as it can be connected to an amp with more SNR, than KH150 has.

Also KH150 cannot repoduce hi res music as it’s internal DSP is limited to 48Khz.

reference 1 meta is coaxial so, more coherent sounding, but limited in terms of horizontal dispersion.

48kHz isn't "hi res"?

dogmamann

The passive crossover (which steals power) can be a non-linear factor when it heats up in a similar manner as the voice coil in the drivers, and you can't equalize the individual drivers to avoid potential phase anomalies that will show up off-axis regardless of on-axis EQ.
Passive crossover steals power, agreed. But the heat produced doesn’t normally have any
Were you able to understand if the difference in sound between R3 and R3 Meta mainly comes from the different choorosver?

I also read on other impressions that the Meta seems to have a little less bass despite having the same woofer...probably having less bass helps the mid-high range to be clearer?

There's still a lot of confusion, I found a last pair of R3's but if I don't get them today they'll sell them.

The problem that if the Meta don't like the old series is no longer there.
Thank you.
where did you read the impressions? There aren’t any reviews out yet in written form other than two. Both doesn’t mention it. Yes, there are some comments below that Czech videos saying this, but those are guess works from a YouTube video !!

dogmamann

Some energy will unavoidably be transferred to heat in resistors for midrange and tweeter crossover since you need to attenuate them. That is a drawback of passives.
Actives have their own drawback since you are boosting bass, and by that some power will be transferred to heat in woofer voice coils.

It all depends on what you like to heat the most. Crossovers or voice coils.
Active or passive, if the woofer has to produce the same sound, it still has to get the same signal, producing same heat in both the cases!

Reactions: Zvu
Top Bottom