• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

JRS

Major Contributor
Still KEF managed with ls50 metas and reference meta to just do that. I’m quite confident new R meta will show wider dispersion also.
I truly hope you are right. Whatever apprehensions I have about buying the R3 all stem from the significant number of reviewers and owners who say something to the effect that while they may measure extremely well, they just dont seal the deal--too boring, sterile, non-musical etc and either take a pass or sell soon after purchase.
Amir was also underwhelmed in much the same way (but revised later).

Who wouldn't love to have their cake and eat it too?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I truly hope you are right. Whatever apprehensions I have about buying the R3 all stem from the significant number of reviewers and owners who say something to the effect that while they may measure extremely well, they just dont seal the deal--too boring, sterile, non-musical etc and either take a pass or sell soon after purchase.

There is no way to predict the results, by judging from the LS50 to the LS50 Meta review from Amir, chances are the R3 to R3 Meta review may be similar.

hmt

That’s imo because the R3 has a somewhat bright sound signature. It can be seen in the PIR and on axis response. Good news is that this can be easily solved ba some basic Eq. It has to be seen if the R3 meta has a more warmer sound. Also the LS50 meta had a different frequency response that the non meta so the differency in sound quality was due to that and not the meta material.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Name a few please ?

Extend the bass without destroying broadband sensitivity.

Apply boosts generally.

Allow combinations of drive units that are basically incompatible in a passive system, such as a very sensitive pro midbass and a waveguide loaded hifi dome tweeter.

Apply limiting to increase perceived volume.

Obviously a great loudspeaker can be made using either approach. Passive provides a designer fewer degrees of freedom.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can it be done with say Minidsp Flex, amp and a pair of passive loudspeakers ?

Mario Sanchez

Very tempted by center channels, almost pulled the trigger when the dealer said it could arrive in 2 weeks, wish the measurement could come out sooner so we can compare just what did they change...

Zvu

A far larger speaker that has bass reflex.

Then you should correct your statement to "LS60 would not look as is with passive crossover." and with that i agree 100%.

I don't see what being ported or external electronic has to do with this.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Then you should correct your statement to "LS60 would not look as is with passive crossover." and with that i agree 100%.

I don't see what being ported or external electronic has to do with this.
How low the frequency can get in such a small and non-ported enclosure would not be possible in a passive speaker.

Zvu

How low the frequency can get in such a small and non-ported enclosure would not be possible in a passive speaker.

So, you are saying that small size is the only superpower of active loudspeakers ? I agree with that but small size comes with its own set of compromises.

If we disregard size, there is nothing active loudspeaker can do that passive with minidsp and regular amp can not. Make it flat, save a few presets for high and low volume listening, throw in a highpass filter at 20Hz to protect from over excursion and you're done.

You are mentioning again sealed cabinet as if it is superior in some way to properly executed ported cabinet.

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I wish there could will be 3 binding post

1 for MF/HF
1 FOR WOOFERS 20HZ-400HZ
AND THE '' NEW '' 60hz-400hz. (with a filter built in)

this is me

Popped in my dealer for a little bit today and saw the R meta on the floor. They already got R5, R7, and R11 meta ready to be demoed. I spent a little time with the R7 meta. They definitely look good. If I were to shop for something in the range, I would consider them.
D6532263-3A22-4607-A81A-E49BACE3B711.jpeg

8BBB1AFF-FBD7-4032-A2FA-AA6422269800.jpeg
D0777CCC-22BA-4E20-91CC-45ECFC3F9798.jpeg

7C614BDE-0119-4445-B51D-3A5BEB3364E4.jpeg

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
To be honest, I am truly happy with my non meta kef r3. I don’t find them boring at all. This the most sonically coherent speaker that I have ever heard.
Agreed. I have a pair in a small, reflective room. The narrower dispersion pattern works very well in here. In my larger, treated media room, I prefer wide dispersion speakers and have Revel F206 in there.

JRS

Major Contributor
Ll
Can it be done with say Minidsp Flex, amp and a pair of passive loudspeakers ?
Related: What I also wonder is whether anyone has tried biamping the two either with or without the installed XO's.

Seems like a flex 8 and some sub reinforcement might be an endgame speaker system in a modestly sized room. Tune to taste,--perhaps steepen the coax/woof xo slopes.
EDIT: In other words, rather than lamenting that its a passive, make it active leaving the mid/tweet xo alone. Pick up a Buckeye configured for 4 channel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zvu

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Had the chance today to listen to the KEF R3 Meta and LS60 Wireless at an audio show which was a lucky coincidence as I am considering getting the R3 Meta Indigo Special Edition when it will be released coming summer. Unfortunately listened only to two tracks which were not my choice but I liked their tuning, also they played quite loud without any noticeable distortions.

1.jpg

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Had the chance today to listen to the KEF R3 Meta and LS60 Wireless at an audio show which was a lucky coincidence as I am considering getting the R3 Meta Indigo Special Edition when it will be released coming summer. Unfortunately listened only to two tracks which were not my choice but I liked their tuning, also they played quite loud without any noticeable distortions.

View attachment 265665
That pic yells "great time to have friends among the powerlifting community". Grab the 60´s and run, run fast! :p

Top Bottom