• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

Alexx

The tweeter has been redesigned in particular the "flanges" or external lines I don't know exactly what they are called, also the magnet block is different (first open now closed) with the addition of the Metamaterial... all things however that do not justify the decrease weight???

I read these things on the Kef website, there are also videos about it.

I honestly don't understand this difference in weight, from the specifications the Meta speaker box is also a few millimeters larger.

The woofer seems to be the same as the old series, that can't make any difference......perhaps the crossover?

I don't understand, I'm tempted to take the latest examples of the R series then I tell myself the new series is better!!! (maybe more out of curiosity).

Another option is to take the old model and keep it for one year to see how the new "Meta" goes

Maybe it's a "flop" and it turns out that the older model is better?
Confused, a greeting.

Streamc

The tweeter has been redesigned in particular the "flanges" or external lines I don't know exactly what they are called, also the magnet block is different (first open now closed) with the addition of the Metamaterial... all things however that do not justify the decrease weight???

I honestly don't understand this difference in weight, from the specifications the Meta speaker box is also a few millimeters larger.

The woofer seems to be the same as the old series, that can't make any difference......perhaps the crossover?

I don't understand, I'm tempted to take the latest examples of the R series then I tell myself the new series is better!!! (maybe more out of curiosity).

Another option is to take the old model and keep it for one year to see how the new "Meta" goes

Confused, a greeting.
Maybe take independently weigh both the old version and the new one, that is, find out the real weight difference.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you put it on a Lamborghini and the Bluetooth speaker on a Ford Mondeo, then yes.
If I play a 100hz signal for 1second on muon and a 10 dollar speaker, both should go forth and back 100 times and stop perfectly at the end of 1 second right ?

Alexx

Probably some mistake in the descriptions...

Unfortunately we are talking about a product that no one has ever tried and listened to (I don't remember if a forum user has a couple).

The price difference and the upgrade trigger several questions.

For the price it is not a relevant factor, every month all sorts of things increase, it is normal that there have been increases, considering that in Italy the old model up to 10 days ago was sold for 1800 euros, therefore paying around 2200 for the new one euro (some discount it at 2000) is a completely normal thing....

The problem is time, if you wait too long to decide the old R3s are no longer available, it is no longer possible to order them (only store inventories at the moment) probably the best thing would be to take R3, keep it for a while and evaluate the new one over time model, if actually valid with a small addition of money you can change otherwise happy to keep the old one.

Do you agree? often things done in a hurry do not bring good results.

bodhi

Forum Donor
The price increase discussions is just about irrelevant. Just think the old and new models as completely different products with different features and make your decision based on that.

There will always be the next thing just around the corner that might be as just as good for less money, a bit better for a bit more money or maybe even vastly superior specimen for 500€. At some point you just have to pay the piper or be without new speakres.

Considering that the old models are already almost as good as it gets it's completely rational to just go get them at lower price point and be done with it. Somewhat less rational audiophile might think that the smallish improvement gained by going Meta is worth it so you don't have and nagging "what if"-feelings for several years one will be using the speakers.

Daka

If I play a 100hz signal for 1second on muon and a 10 dollar speaker, both should go forth and back 100 times and stop perfectly at the end of 1 second right ?
I think when people mention “speed” what they really refer to is either group delay, transient response or dynamic range.

Talisman

Forum Donor
Exactly, these are often speakers with extremely light tiny woofers and fairly large magnets. Virtually no semi-decent Bluetooth speaker will have trouble following abrupt frequency changes faithfully. Then it doesn't have the physical ability to generate movement of air at certain frequencies, but that's a different story.

The "speed" problem is much more likely to occur in large cheap speakers with large woofers and inadequate magnets. Paradoxically compared to the size, the performance of the very small woofers of the bluetooth speakers are exceptional.

Last edited:

Alexx

The woofer they say is the same.

The only thing is the Metamaterial and probably the crossover (at least this is understood from the Kef site).

Even the tweeter is said to have little different "wings" from the old model... that's all.
Thank you.

Alexx

definitely no sin.

I saw it but I didn't understand anything...
If someone can decipher it can help us.

By ear the old version seems brighter and more detailed, pay attention to the beginning of the song when you hear applause from the background and the guitar.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the video.

Last edited:

Skyro

Confused, a greeting.
One can only assume the difference in weight is a thinner cabinet or one with less bracing, possibly because resonances are less of an issue with the meta material. Interestingly it seems the entire line-up has higher sensitivity than the prior gen. That's probably going to be biggest audible upgrade

Alexx

Even the second track I find warmer and more detailed than the old model.

While the third the Meta series is less annoying on the Rock piece (probably the Metamaterial absorbs distortions and reverberations).

I think for my musical genre (I don't listen to Rock and Metal) the old series is more suitable.

Of course we can't rely on remote recording, don't refer to what I'm saying, it would be interesting to understand what the guy who made the video says.
See you soon.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Even the second track I find warmer and more detailed than the old model.

While the third the Meta series is less annoying on the Rock piece (probably the Metamaterial absorbs distortions and reverberations).

I think for my musical genre (I don't listen to Rock and Metal) the old series is more suitable.

Of course we can't rely on remote recording, don't refer to what I'm saying, it would be interesting to understand what the guy who made the video says.
See you soon.
You can not judge a speaker by a YouTube video. We went over this here recently ad infinum. You can look it up and read all the facts about.

exm

You can not judge a speaker by a YouTube video. We went over this here recently ad infinum. You can look it up and read all the facts about.

Although I agree, it's nice to hear from someone that have compared both speakers. Just interpret any such videos as YMMV IMO.

Daka

Anyone speak Czech here?

Gave it to my Slovak partner. Piss poor review. The only sentence of substance he said that bass was more precise and it wasn’t throwing bass at him like old R7 which was something he didn’t like before. Then he talks about using different microphone for this comparison and hoping we will hear the difference even though it’s uploaded to YouTube blah blah blah.

Alexx

@ArmonicoTHD:
I know very well, I also said it can't be judged in this way, don't worry.

However, my impression was better with the old speakers on the first two tracks, but it shouldn't be a term of comparison, mind you.

Seeing the graph of that "Chinese" review, however, the differences seem minimal, at least instrumentally, then in a home environment not treated with who knows what amplifier, I have no idea if and how much improvement can be felt (in theory, this was done specifically for this) .

In fact, they made the big differential leap in 2018 when the R3 replaced the R300....another story with over 1000 updates made, on this "Metal" we are talking about very small percentage inertia which in any case will certainly help to have a small step forward.

Beyond this, personal taste takes over, surely in a few months there will be those who prefer the R3 and those who prefer the R3 Metal, this is possible.

Let's see if any other news comes out.
See you soon.

Top Bottom