• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

Descartes

Major Contributor
Price for the pair in the US it seems European pricing is getting more in line with the US pricing!

Model$ 1st GenMetachange
R3219921990%
R52600350034.6%
R74499550022.24%
R11599965008.3%

Last edited:

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Somehow I don't understand what is the problem with KEF increasing the prices? The products seem to me to be competitive with this new pricing as well and nobody is forced to buy them.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Somehow I don't understand what is the problem with KEF increasing the prices? The products seem to me to be competitive with this new pricing as well and nobody is forced to buy them.
No problem, just fact finding!

Benedium

Forum Donor
Sucks to be poor... ;p
Elac ub52 was my only affordable way to experience a 3 way coaxial/concentric speaker.

Last edited:

dogmamann

That’s
In regards to R7 - because it was the best of floorstanders - it was hardly any justification for spending that much more for r11 and probably still isn’t.
Are those prices in Euro or US dollar?
In UK:
not exactly true with the case of r7. To me r11 has full decent impact in kick drums without a sub. For most folks, with music listening that last octave isn’t much of a deal. With r7 it’s not possible without a sub as it distorts very easily with lower bass. R11 had immense headroom for eqing even without a sub. You can have enough bass and room doesn’t look ugly with subs.

To me either you go r3 with subs or go r11. R5 is meant for small rooms, so it has a different purpose. R7 doesn’t fit anywhere imo. But with the current pricing, I cannot afford anything more than that and hope room may play some magic!

exm

Price for the pair in the US it seems European pricing is getting more in line with the US pricing!

Model$ 1st GenMetachange
R3219921990%
R52600350034.6%
R74499550040%
R11599965008.3%

Wow, this makes the R3 a real bargain, and I wonder why someone would pick the R7 over the R11 at this price point? No way I would get a R5.

Daka

That’s

not exactly true with the case of r7. To me r11 has full decent impact in kick drums without a sub. For most folks, with music listening that last octave isn’t much of a deal. With r7 it’s not possible without a sub as it distorts very easily with lower bass. R11 had immense headroom for eqing even without a sub. You can have enough bass and room doesn’t look ugly with subs.

To me either you go r3 with subs or go r11. R5 is meant for small rooms, so it has a different purpose. R7 doesn’t fit anywhere imo. But with the current pricing, I cannot afford anything more than that and hope room may play some magic!
To me it’s other way around R3 + subs or R7 - difference between R7 and R11 are minuscule only slightly better distortion but only if you hit it really hard - majority of people won’t. Majority will employ subwoofer also further decreasing need for r11. At least in Europe - nobody would have room big enough to do drive R11 to even hope to hear the difference. And difference in price was significant. Now the price of new R11 gets you very close to Reference which again is totally different animal and over the price of excellent ls60. More people will buy R7 instead.

FlyingFreak

I disagree. Have you seen the blue on those R3s? Resistance is futile
I just bought a pair of speakers and feel totally happy with them. And yet those blue R3s… Thats just mean.
How could I not?
self control isn’t going to cut it.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I just bought a pair of speakers and feel totally happy with them. And yet those blue R3s… Thats just mean.
How could I not?
self control isn’t going to cut it.
Yes that blue is one awesome color for a speaker! If only other manufacturers would offer more colors rather than black, white of wood!

n1rvana

Better Purifi based amp with DAC on your own. You can select 2 modes (power of amplification) by jumpers. Also choose some buffer by different makers.

Purifi 1ET400A seems overkill for the Kef R3. Also, I suspect the difference might not be audible between the Purifi 1ET400A and Hypex NC252MP.

Streamc

Purifi 1ET400A seems overkill for the Kef R3. Also, I suspect the difference might not be audible between the Purifi 1ET400A and Hypex NC252MP.
There is no overkill looking at price of module. Also it overkill for everything. But it is suitable not only for R3 but for many things. Decide by your own.

Alexx

Good morning guys, I'll answer a little to everyone...

I agree that relying on tastes and tests that other people do in addition with electronics and environment different from mine is not absolutely reliable, I could only take a small cue, then if 20 people are of the same idea it could already be more reliable.

I have to admit it's hard to find 20 people who have R3 and R3 Meta -:)

I know the talk of cables always brings "disappointment" I have a classic 1.5mm copper cable the dealer told me that probably with a silver cable (Qed Chord) the sound could become slightly more open ...... ......I don't attach importance to this specifically I think it's better to change the amplifier in this way there may be a small difference but I am fine with the nad 399.........I don't want to go off topic sorry .

Going back to the R3s, I'll tell you right away that all the dealers I asked for excluded a direct test between the two models (probably lazy or they can't) for this reason, as already mentioned, if you confirm the price of 1300 euros for the R3s today, I'll get them I hold, with the rest of the money I'll take some good stands and bluos module.

I don't think a little meta material behind the R3 tweeter can bring excellent and overwhelming improvements (the classic mid-high system does not absorb about 60%) an addition of 39% I don't think is overwhelming (certainly more at a marketing level ).

It's a simple thought of mine, I have nothing to prove what I'm saying, please don't acknowledge me.....for now it's nice to talk about it among friends, but until there is objective data and direct listening tests, the the only certainty is that in Italy they told me they asked for 2200 euros!!! for R3 Meta if I consider that the R3 confirms me 1300 euros I have some doubts that the new model can be worth all this extra money ...

I'll tell you how it goes later.
Hello everybody.

dogmamann

Good morning guys, I'll answer a little to everyone...

I agree that relying on tastes and tests that other people do in addition with electronics and environment different from mine is not absolutely reliable, I could only take a small cue, then if 20 people are of the same idea it could already be more reliable.

I have to admit it's hard to find 20 people who have R3 and R3 Meta -:)

I know the talk of cables always brings "disappointment" I have a classic 1.5mm copper cable the dealer told me that probably with a silver cable (Qed Chord) the sound could become slightly more open ...... ......I don't attach importance to this specifically I think it's better to change the amplifier in this way there may be a small difference but I am fine with the nad 399.........I don't want to go off topic sorry .

Going back to the R3s, I'll tell you right away that all the dealers I asked for excluded a direct test between the two models (probably lazy or they can't) for this reason, as already mentioned, if you confirm the price of 1300 euros for the R3s today, I'll get them I hold, with the rest of the money I'll take some good stands and bluos module.

I don't think a little meta material behind the R3 tweeter can bring excellent and overwhelming improvements (the classic mid-high system does not absorb about 60%) an addition of 39% I don't think is overwhelming (certainly more at a marketing level ).

It's a simple thought of mine, I have nothing to prove what I'm saying, please don't acknowledge me.....for now it's nice to talk about it among friends, but until there is objective data and direct listening tests, the the only certainty is that in Italy they told me they asked for 2200 euros!!! for R3 Meta if I consider that the R3 confirms me 1300 euros I have some doubts that the new model can be worth all this extra money ...

I'll tell you how it goes later.
Hello everybody.
cables sound different?!!! snake oil ; move away from him

Top Bottom