• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

Daka

Here was the main point for me:
First of all, let me be honest. I was using the old R3, but I personally prefer the LS50 Meta.

It's true that the R3 tends to be flat and has high performance, so it's suitable for reference, but there were times when I couldn't enjoy the rough sound sources that were a little strict on the source, or I felt that I wanted a little more musicality ( So I had to devise a lot with accessories).

In that respect, although the LS50 Meta is inferior to the R3 in terms of low-frequency reproduction capability and sense of scale, it has good high-frequency expressiveness and rich musicality, so I honestly think that the LS50 Meta was the most enjoyable to listen to. This is my impression.

That evaluation was blown away with this R3 Meta. The high performance of the R3 and the musicality of the LS50 Meta are perfectly combined. I think it's safe to say that the R3 Meta is upwardly compatible, surpassing the LS50 Meta in almost all respects.
And this is what I’m hearing as well - a combination of R3 and ls50 meta. In areas where the latter was a better sounding speaker now is not the case and at best on par with the benefit of much better low end and dynamics. Is it worth nearly double over ls50 meta… well

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To be honest I think these new metas have way too much hype about them. I really don't see them sound THAT much different. I might still upgrade, but I'm not fooling myself that it will be a big improvement.

Alexx

Looking at the graph, I prefer the old R3 in the medium-high range, because I already find it quite attenuated and warm, if the meta version makes it even less loud, it is possible that I find it too closed and less pleasant ... (then obviously equalizing by changing cables etc. something I correct).

But is it better to spend about 7-800 euros more if I also have to increase the medium-high range with various "gimmicks" to make it similar to the old R3???

It's true I'm based on a graphic diagram probably with live listening it's not like that, or it's almost imperceptibly so (in fact the Meta casing has to do this and hold, such a rendering is plausible).

Today I ask if the dealer will give me the R3 at least 1350 euros (paid 1480) if he accepts this discount I think I'll keep them.

Differently, I look forward to direct comparisons between the two models, but I don't think there is anything so striking...... the real update was done from the R300 series to the R3 (more than a thousand changes) this is a real update.
Thanks a lot.

Daka

To be honest I think these new metas have way too much hype about them. I really don't see them sound THAT much different. I might still upgrade, but I'm not fooling myself that it will be a big improvement.
Greatly depends if you were split in the middle between ls50 vs R3.
Looking at the graph, I prefer the old R3 in the medium-high range, because I already find it quite attenuated and warm, if the meta version makes it even less loud, it is possible that I find it too closed and less pleasant ... (then obviously equalizing by changing cables etc. something I correct).

But is it better to spend about 7-800 euros more if I also have to increase the medium-high range with various "gimmicks" to make it similar to the old R3???

It's true I'm based on a graphic diagram probably with live listening it's not like that, or it's almost imperceptibly so (in fact the Meta casing has to do this and hold, such a rendering is plausible).

Today I ask if the dealer will give me the R3 at least 1350 euros (paid 1480) if he accepts this discount I think I'll keep them.

Differently, I look forward to direct comparisons between the two models, but I don't think there is anything so striking...... the real update was done from the R300 series to the R3 (more than a thousand changes) this is a real update.
Thanks a lot.
The difference I think is much bigger than this chart can tell. We need more comprehensive tests to be done like Erin does it to even grasp on the differences. Best thing you can do is go to the dealer if possible and listen to both side by side. Then make decision whether worth the difference or not.
Im planning to replace my Ls50 metas that serve as surrounds with old R3 (£899 in UK ) - so will be able to do A/B comparison but need to sell them first or my other half will get angry, or worse - disappointed :O

Alexx

@Daka:
I absolutely agree the listening test would be the only reliable evaluation.

We are also waiting for the other two users to be able to do a test and tell us their impressions/opinions.

Wow 899 Pounds are about 1000 euros, it's fantastic to find it in Italy at this price, I wouldn't think twice about getting the R3!!!
See you soon.
Thanks.

Daka

@Daka:
I absolutely agree the listening test would be the only reliable evaluation.

We are also waiting for the other two users to be able to do a test and tell us their impressions/opinions.

Wow 899 Pounds are about 1000 euros, it's fantastic to find it in Italy at this price, I wouldn't think twice about getting the R3!!!
See you soon.
Thanks.
You can try to get them to ship it to you. VAT is excluded on this side and you pay custom duties which I’m guessing will be similar to the original price. KEF come with international warranty so should work in Italy… but KEF directly is not the most reliable company, hence I prefer resellers.

MingChops

(then obviously equalizing by changing cables etc. something I correct).
Sarcasm??

And that is reliable how? Someone else's subjective opinion of a speaker in a listening space that isn't your own.

This threads going a little bit too SBAF!

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice find,

R3_R3meta_Freqquency_600x600.jpg

the R3 Meta (red curve) seems to be tuned more neutral / less shouty on the upper mids compared to the old R3 (similar as LS50 Meta vs first gen LS50), would be interesting to see the directivities of both and how much EQ can make them sound similar.
Nice if this is the case, a neutral starting piont is so much better, if you want more sparkle you can eq :)

dogmamann

And that is reliable how? Someone else's subjective opinion of a speaker in a listening space that isn't your own.

This threads going a little bit too SBAF!
Yes. Graphs tells everything. From that, adding meta and increasing the price 2x times should be looking like a scam. /s

MingChops

Yes. Graphs tells everything. From that, adding meta and increasing the price 2x times should be looking like a scam. /s
Graphs I don't have a problem with, as long as the variables are controlled properly (i.e speaker and mic positions, levels, etc). The graphs on the Chinese(?) site look to overlay well and hopefully they were controlled 'well enough'. They're useful, I agree.

Subjective comparisons however.... for example the one a few pages back, suggested that the owner had R3 original, preferred LS50 Meta, now has R3 Meta and prefers over the rest. I mean it's fine as an opinion but it's basically meaningless though and Alexx shouldn't be placing too much stock in reading it. Especially because I own R5 and LS50 Meta and I personally think the R series does everything a little better - so how do you reconcile the 2 subjective opinions in to any sort of 'accurate' order..... well of course you can't ;)
- Sorry I think the cables comment just rattled my cage just enough to not bite my tongue!!! :D

dako

Well, Kef didn't higher any prices on the R-series although inflation and higher shipment cost, so some of the price increase is to the inflation. KEF R3 META has the best value, pair with a sub and get away cheaper. On average the R-series are they 35% higher, not 2x price. Strange that R7 got that aggressive pricing.
Price
ModelOld (in EUR)Meta (in EUR)change
R3
1800​
2200​
22%​
R5
2600​
3500​
35%​
R7
3200​
5000​
56%​
R11
5000​
6500​
30%​

Last edited:

Daka

Well, Kef didn't higher any prices on the R-series although inflation and higher shipment cost, so some of the price increase is to the inflation. KEF R3 META has the best value, pair with a sub and get away cheaper. On average the R-series are they 35% higher, not 2x price. Strange that R7 got that aggressive pricing.
Price
ModelOldMetachange
R3
1800​
2200​
22%​
R5
2600​
3500​
35%​
R7
3200​
5000​
56%​
R11
5000​
6500​
30%​
In regards to R7 - because it was the best of floorstanders - it was hardly any justification for spending that much more for r11 and probably still isn’t.
Are those prices in Euro or US dollar?
In UK:
ModelOldMetachange
R3
1500​
1900​
26%​
R5
2000​
3000​
50%​
R7
2700​
4000​
48%​
R11
4000​
5500​
37%​

Kachda

Forum Donor
Price
ModelOldMetachange
R3
1800​
2200​
22%​
R5
2600​
3500​
35%​
R7
3200​
5000​
56%​
R11
5000​
6500​
30%​
Thanks for putting it in a tabular form

1800 was the original launch price for R3. They hiked it to 2199 later, so you could argue it’s a 0% increase

Edit: i meant in usd

Last edited:

dako

In regards to R7 - because it was the best of floorstanders - it was hardly any justification for spending that much more for r11 and probably still isn’t.
In UK:
In EUR.

Skyro

In UK:
Also with the introduction of the R6 that may now be the way to go if you plan to pair with subs.

Skyro

For HT for sure, for music I do wonder how that would perform.
Well even for music R6 + subs is in the same price bracket as R7. I have OG R3s + dual subs and I plug the ports on my R3s. Using R6 as LCRs in a mixed usage HT/music setup would be an ideal setup for many people I would imagine.

Descartes

Major Contributor

1800 was the original launch price for R3. They hiked it to 2199 later, so you could argue it’s a 0% increase

This is wild!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Price
ModelOld (in EUR)Meta (in EUR)change
R3
1800​
2200​
22%​
R5
2600​
3500​
35%​
R7
3200​
5000​
56%​
R11
5000​
6500​
30%​
This is wild, why such differences between the ranges? It seems that the R7 is their sweet spot so they increase the price substantially!!
Not sure that their pricing strategy makes sense!

Top Bottom