• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How will the r7 meta stands against reference 1 meta? For movies and music.
Considering upgrades from og ls50.
I will use it with a avr. (Maybe a more advanced one in the future).
I have DB1D as well.

It’s around 5400$ against 7500$-8000$ where I live.
Reference metas cannot be touched by r series. Those are on another greater level.

dogmamann

I think they can be touched if you add EQ and a sub to the R series.
That’s hell lot of eq you need to match it. I suspect, after all that it would mess up more than improving!

bodhi

Forum Donor
That’s hell lot of eq you need to match it. I suspect, after all that it would mess up more than improving!

But don't they measure pretty close discounting extension?

aarons915

Forum Donor
How will the r7 meta stands against reference 1 meta? For movies and music.
Considering upgrades from og ls50.
I will use it with a avr. (Maybe a more advanced one in the future).
I have DB1D as well.

It’s around 5400$ against 7500$-8000$ where I live.

Hard to say until we see measurements, I had the original R3 for awhile and made them sound much better through EQ but the directivity problem around 2700Hz made them impossible to match the Reference Ones, if the metas fix that issue they could be EQ'd to sound very close but of course won't match the Reference build quality.

regan

Not so sure about that... but how about this:

R3 + SUB + dirac minidsp flex... GAME OVER

aarons915

Forum Donor

You can't use a room curve to EQ speakers, at least not very well. Search Floyd Toole's recent comments on this in the house curve thread and maybe others for more info but ideally you need CTA-2034 style measurements and to EQ based on those above the room's transition frequency.

dogmamann

I like the idea, but doesn’t subs DSP has a delay setting it off from the timing of the main speakers ? This won’t be much of an issue when it comes to home theatre but for stereo if it’s out of sync, it would be weird

Daka

I like the idea, but doesn’t subs DSP has a delay setting it off from the timing of the main speakers ? This won’t be much of an issue when it comes to home theatre but for stereo if it’s out of sync, it would be weird
MiniDSP has setting to apply delay afaik

dogmamann

MiniDSP has setting to apply delay afaik
Delay the main speaker to match the sub? Then watching a music video would make it out of sync from the video. Also, anything over 48khz is pointless then.

Daka

Delay the main speaker to match the sub? Then watching a music video would make it out of sync from the video. Also, anything over 48khz is pointless then.
Delay any channel sub or speakers. Typical 8ms sub delay won’t make it appear lip syncing - you need over 100s of ms for that

There is analog version of miniDSP so it would not deteriorate sampling.

Last edited:

dogmamann

Delay any channel sub or speakers. Typical 8ms sub delay won’t make it appear lip syncing - you need over 100s of ms for that

There is analog version of miniDSP so it would not deteriorate sampling.
There is no mini DSP or DSP on the market as far as I know which can do DSPing and Hi res at the same time.

All DSPs do the signal processing as digital. So even analog version converts it to 48khz signal and then process it. You can feed hi res into that, but it would be resampled to 48khz so that the DSP can work on them

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
There is no mini DSP or DSP on the market as far as I know which can do DSPing and Hi res at the same time.

All DSPs do the signal processing as digital. So even analog version converts it to 48khz signal and then process it. You can feed hi res into that, but it would be resampled to 48khz so that the DSP can work on them
What are you talking about?

Plenty here, just one example. Up to 32bit FP at 96kHz DSP.

And if there is any doubt left see here.

Thread 'Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)'
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex-review-audio-dsp.30804/

Last edited:

dogmamann

What are you talking about?

Plenty here, just one example. Up to 32bit FP at 96kHz DSP.

And if there is any doubt left see here.

Thread 'Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)'
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex-review-audio-dsp.30804/
Pretty much that’s the only example. Last time I checked it, I misread the Dirac live part(that’s 48khz)My mistake! But other than this, every other DSP on market has either downsampling or has poor SNR than a 100 dollar dac making their quality useless. Now don’t tell me that you don’t need that level of quality. probably yes, but I like seeing high nUmbers on my devices, for happiness, and that feeling that I am hearing something hi quality

Alexx

@emybaneesim:
A thousand thanks.

You're right, my "problem" is that the R3's withdrawal deadline is in a week and I can't compare them directly with the R3 Metal.

The suggested option of returning the R3s and waiting for the Meta to come out so you can buy it at the shop is very good.

Consider that I really like the sound of the R3s, I'm not a "Fan" of the latest model released unless it has a crazy performance.

I can equalize the R3s I have a Nad C 399 and I can use dirac (I'm buying the module) this is a very interesting option.

I also agree that in a few days the price of the R3s will drop again (at least in Italy) I asked the dealer for an additional discount on the ones I just bought (among which they arrived open) if it takes away at least another 100-150 euros I think I'll keep them and if necessary I'll make some corrections with Dirac.

If he doesn't accept the discount, I'll wait for the price to drop and in the meantime we'll have more precise news for the meta series that will help us better understand the differences between the two.

Thank you very much you have been very kind.
Have a good day.

bodhi

Forum Donor
Pretty much that’s the only example. Last time I checked it, I misread the Dirac live part(that’s 48khz)My mistake! But other than this, every other DSP on market has either downsampling or has poor SNR than a 100 dollar dac making their quality useless. Now don’t tell me that you don’t need that level of quality. probably yes, but I like seeing high nUmbers on my devices, for happiness, and that feeling that I am hearing something hi quality
So we the final reason, after a couple of steps, as for why R series can't be eq'd to match Reference is that almost all devices that could do it have insufficient SNR for your personal taste, still being completely transparent though?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I received my R3a I learned that the new R3 meta model has just come out.

Do you think it's worth changing them? I'm still on time with the withdrawal.

The price difference is large, the old model costs 1480 euros, the new one costs around 2100-2200 euros!

I have no idea how much the mid-high range has improved (other changes I don't think have been made).

I can't listen, only fear that in the mid-high range they can seem too bright and annoying in the open range.

Do you have any ideas or information?
Thank you in advance.

I would get the new ones if I could somehow afford it without causing problems. Sure it's 1/3 more expensive but all improvements you add with room treatment, subwoofers, Dirac etc will apply to the metas as well.

And it might be a investment that is worth it considering you are planning to keep them for a while.

Streamc

@emybaneesim:
A thousand thanks.

You're right, my "problem" is that the R3's withdrawal deadline is in a week and I can't compare them directly with the R3 Metal.

The suggested option of returning the R3s and waiting for the Meta to come out so you can buy it at the shop is very good.

Consider that I really like the sound of the R3s, I'm not a "Fan" of the latest model released unless it has a crazy performance.

I can equalize the R3s I have a Nad C 399 and I can use dirac (I'm buying the module) this is a very interesting option.

I also agree that in a few days the price of the R3s will drop again (at least in Italy) I asked the dealer for an additional discount on the ones I just bought (among which they arrived open) if it takes away at least another 100-150 euros I think I'll keep them and if necessary I'll make some corrections with Dirac.

If he doesn't accept the discount, I'll wait for the price to drop and in the meantime we'll have more precise news for the meta series that will help us better understand the differences between the two.

Thank you very much you have been very kind.
Have a good day.

Buy a Meta. I mean not Walter White Meta but just speaker (gear).

Top Bottom