• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Since the new R series has a now a center speaker with larger woofers (the 6) I wonder why not going for a bigger woofer on the satellites (the 8) I'd only, for the matching aesthetics and extra output.

OP
E

emybaneesim

Since the new R series has a now a center speaker with larger woofers (the 6) I wonder why not going for a bigger woofer on the satellites (the 8) I'd only, for the matching aesthetics and extra output.
I was hoping to see that, at least as an option. Perhaps the view is the unit just gets too big to go on walls (or on top of speakers) for most applications.

It pushes the crossover to mains/subs higher than I'd like (something I think Erin also commented on in his review of the non-Meta), which in turn pushed me to go in-wall for this purpose (more hassle but also offers advantages from removing the comb filtering that will result in putting any box on a wall).

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I was hoping to see that, at least as an option. Perhaps the view is the unit just gets too big to go on walls (or on top of speakers) for most applications.

It pushes the crossover to mains/subs higher than I'd like (something I think Erin also commented on in his review of the non-Meta), which in turn pushed me to go in-wall for this purpose (more hassle but also offers advantages from removing the comb filtering that will result in putting any box on a wall).
It would be interesting to compare to the angled satellites from Perlisten.

On paper, both R series are toe to toe judging from specs alone.

Daka

They could do 6.5 inch on wall like Dali does - yes it’s not small but it’s shallow and would be a great alternative to in walls while taking much less space than any of their bookshelves.
Why? My guess is they didn’t want to invest into creation of entirely new design. R8 is quite frankly disappointing as there are much better alternatives on the market for less, much less.
I’m at the moment debating using R2C as surround. On s2 stands looks quite sleek, and tweeter is at the same ear level as R3s while top and bottom woofers might create a more enveloping sound.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: Zvu

Descartes

Major Contributor
….The benefits to some engineers for curving are not enough to warrant more expensive construction and losing that industrial design.
That’s unfortunate, the Blades are stunning to bad they can’t make a Blade 3 that would be smaller and cheaper!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Here in UK they are available on pretty much day one after announcement via selected distributors as well as KEFs website.

Did little bit A/B comparison with LS50 meta and in terms of imaging, mids and highs, it’s hard for me to pick it apart - extremely close, which is what I hoped for. I would say R3 give more depth, airiness in some songs. Difference is in low mids / bass region - more clarity more definition. I tested only with subwoofer xo @80Hz as this is how I will listen to them. Driving full range would destroy ls50 no doubt.
Depending on the music type you might hear more of a difference between them or very little.

Consider I’m biased as I prefer look of R3s and I will use them in HT setup for which they will make better job over ls50s.
On the other hand I came from original R3 onto ls50 meta last year or so - because of more impressive soundstage they were producing and R3 being very forward sounding which in my space with 3m distance wasn’t great. R3 meta seems to address those issues, give ls50 meta imaging experience (perhaps slightly better) while keeping distortion much lower under 200Hz.
Very nice, KEF is may be more popular in the UK than in the US?

But since they made a deal to be sold at Best Buy they are probably more known nowadays.

Looking forward to independent reviews.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I think just the 'Indigo' is summer (for the R3 meta).

I believe the rest of the colors of the R3 at least are arriving at the end of this month.
I guess we just have to see then! Let’s hope Amir or Erin can put the R3 and the R6 on their lab bench and tell us if they are worthy!

Last edited:

Daka

Very nice, KEF is may be more popular in the UK than in the US?

But since they made a deal to be sold at Best Buy they are probably more known nowadays.

Looking forward to independent reviews.
KEF stands for Kent Engineering and Foundry - as in Kent, UK. Does belong to GP Acoustics which I believe is from Hong Kong, but KEF HQ is in UK so as such is British company with heritage, thus very popular brand here.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you, yes originally but now it is Chinese!
You don’t seem to like KEF very well I guess!! There is nothing wrong in company owned by Chinese. Imo, it’s an advantage to have lot of money reserve to be spent on r and d, marketing and support than some cult audiofool British, European or American companies based of some random garage, who has no money to do any research! Also after real engineering is done by the right people (having real degrees in those fields) than some random people who has only their ear as their tool, there is nothing wrong in mass producing in china.

anthonymoody

there is nothing wrong in mass producing in china.
Not agreeing or disagreeing. But wanted to point out that the Reference line is still built in Kent. All others in China.

As far as US availability, my dealer still says March, with those few model/color combos noted here by others shipping later in the year.

dogmamann

Not agreeing or disagreeing. But wanted to point out that the Reference line is still built in Kent. All others in China.

As far as US availability, my dealer still says March, with those few model/color combos noted here by others shipping later in the year.
I don’t think they will be the same company as they are now without ls50 and R series. Even with high margins on Reference and what’s above it, they need numbers to fuel the engineering.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Anyone understand why the mid/high crossover point should be different in the different models?

R3: 420 Hz, 2.3 kHz
R5: 400 Hz, 2.7 kHz
R7: 400 Hz, 2.4 kHz
R11: 330 Hz, 2.5 kHz

Elitzur–Vaidman

Anyone understand why the mid/high crossover point should be different in the different models?

R3: 420 Hz, 2.3 kHz
R5: 400 Hz, 2.7 kHz
R7: 400 Hz, 2.4 kHz
R11: 330 Hz, 2.5 kHz
I'm not sure, but I'm really curious to see the R7 vs R11 midrange distortion.

Daka

I don’t think they will be the same company as they are now without ls50 and R series. Even with high margins on Reference and what’s above it, they need numbers to fuel the engineering.
You mean Meta won’t sell that well to drive profits?

Top Bottom