• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I listen to them several times a week, but not more than an hour. more than hour on weekends. I have other things to do. I have Topping D90Le, Purifi with bypassed buffer. Even some people think chinesse equipment is bright I do not see it.
Personally I consider them as many people "not bright" even DARK speakers despite flat curve.
You are first person to call them bright.
Maybe it is room decoration or some amp helping in "brighntess". I do not know. Even on Youtube via headphones they are dark. Reference series on youtube is not Dark but R is dark.
I like R3.
No he is not the one. I have seen this comment many times in many forums. I personally feel it bit bright in upper mids too. The R11 is dark, as the bass is quite few dbs above the mid and treble and same is the story with blade 2 meta.

R11 is a bargain, if you like the blade 2.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With uniq drivers, if m not wrong you can listen to them in close field too. I mean even if you sit under 1.5 meters away from them, they should sound as good as farfield. May be bass needs to be shelved down to compensate the distance. Or am I overlooking something?!

Mostly just that the price/size is hard to justfiy in a small room. If one has such disposable income that the price is inconsequential then why not.

dogmamann

Mostly just that the price/size is hard to justfiy in a small room. If one has such disposable income that the price is inconsequential then why not.
For example I have a room which is 5,5 x 3,5 meters in my basement. Recently due to lack of space for my toddler in the living room I am planning on moving everything to this room. Problem is if I sit facing the shorter wall, I loose soundstage width, but I face the wider wall, I sit very close to the speakers. But on angle facing me, the ports are still away from the walls, not loading the room too much. I tried with my other speakers already but only downside is now I have a problem with coherency as I sit at a closer distance where I can hear the tweeter and midranges separately! In this room, even if I don’t want to buy a KEF, I will be forced to buy one, as I cannot beat physics with a typical two way at this distance. Last year I had a good time with canton reference 7k which I sold moving out. For this reason I was thinking of getting a Kef Reference 1(older one) but I cannot find it anywhere now! Meta ref 1 is out of my budget and hence I am here scrolling in this thread! R3 meta + dual SVS sb2000 pro is what I am thinking of. That’s exactly the price of the canton references I had, probably would be a better suit for me for the next 3-4 years. I already miss the soundstage of the cantons, but I have no way to get it right in my new listening room.

Streamc

No he is not the one. I have seen this comment many times in many forums. I personally feel it bit bright in upper mids too. The R11 is dark, as the bass is quite few dbs above the mid and treble and same is the story with blade 2 meta.

R11 is a bargain, if you like the blade 2.
What the point calling speaker Bright when it is 1-2 db higher? If there is measurements why do you bought them? There is absolutely flat Genelec.

dogmamann

What the point calling speaker Bright when it is 1-2 db higher? If there is measurements why do you bought them? There is absolutely flat Genelec.
I would never buy it. Hope meta improves that, so it becomes a potential candidate

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For example I have a room which is 5,5 x 3,5 meters in my basement. Recently due to lack of space for my toddler in the living room I am planning on moving everything to this room. Problem is if I sit facing the shorter wall, I loose soundstage width, but I face the wider wall, I sit very close to the speakers. But on angle facing me, the ports are still away from the walls, not loading the room too much. I tried with my other speakers already but only downside is now I have a problem with coherency as I sit at a closer distance where I can hear the tweeter and midranges separately! In this room, even if I don’t want to buy a KEF, I will be forced to buy one, as I cannot beat physics with a typical two way at this distance. Last year I had a good time with canton reference 7k which I sold moving out. For this reason I was thinking of getting a Kef Reference 1(older one) but I cannot find it anywhere now! Meta ref 1 is out of my budget and hence I am here scrolling in this thread! R3 meta + dual SVS sb2000 pro is what I am thinking of. That’s exactly the price of the canton references I had, probably would be a better suit for me for the next 3-4 years. I already miss the soundstage of the cantons, but I have no way to get it right in my new listening room.
I happen to have almost the same size room 5,2x4,2m, speakers (R5) at middle position of wide wall, 2m triangle. If find the soundstage to be of acceptable width with no toe in, but it's nothing spectacular, at best it sounds to be just as wide as the speaker distance, sometimes it feels narrower. But the sound is very coherent and uniform.

dogmamann

I happen to have almost the same size room 5,2x4,2m, speakers (R5) at middle position of wide wall, 2m triangle. If find the soundstage to be of acceptable width with no toe in, but it's nothing spectacular, at best it sounds to be just as wide as the speaker distance, sometimes it feels narrower. But the sound is very coherent and uniform.
This is exactly the reason I didn’t buy a current gen r series. Soundstage is limited by how wide the speakers are kept apart. Many folks who never owned any other speakers other than Kef has no clue about how a wide radiating speaker can sound like ;)

For me, I need both: wide and coherent at the same time. 2 ways can be coherent but it boils down to how it’s placed and where you are sitting and how the room is reacting. It’s not easy as the Kef but it’s still possible.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a very compelling little "buy me now!" video! With absolutely no useful information. Their advertising people are really quite good. Even their technical "white papers" have a "buy me! buy me!" vibe.
Of course this video is not addressed to knowledgeable people like most here, can't wait for the corresponding white paper with useful information for us.

Daka

So that’s the KEF’s leak! No other speaker from Kef line has red drivers without the ribbed surrounds and meta. So hinting the new R Meta
Spotted as well, indeed it is. Uploaded by KEF 2 days ago. So if what’s been said is true within 1-2 weeks should be announced properly and orders in March. Excited to get R3 meta + R6c - i do hope the will have wider dispersion same improvement as new reference has over previous gen.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would never buy it. Hope meta improves that, so it becomes a potential candidate
The dispersion is excellent, so you can DSP the FR to your liking.

I suspect Meta will just bring a bit less distortion in the mid and high regions and that is it.

Daka

I suspect Meta will just bring a bit less distortion in the mid and high regions and that is it.
Dispersion as in how off center you can listen and relatively low drop in SPL (due to cancelling waves) - R series are narrow with 40 degrees under 9db drop if I remember correctly, new reference meta and ls50 meta are around 50 or above. 60 and more is wide dispersion. Wider it is bigger the soundstage that extends outside of speakers.
Here as it’s been mentioned, it’s not only meta material, it’s new UNIQ design as well which brings more improvements including perhaps wider dispersion. Same as original ls50 didn’t just get MAT improvement . Same as reference meta isn’t just about MAT but have different characteristics.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
While the upgradeitis is always strong for some reason, I just hope this means the R2C will be blown out soon, so I can pick one up inexpensively.

dogmamann

Dispersion is even, not wide. And if wide is my preference, no amount of eq or DSP can make it a wide sounding speaker.

Daka

While the upgradeitis is always strong for some reason, I just hope this means the R2C will be blown out soon, so I can pick one up inexpensively.
I would suspect R6c will best selling speaker of them all, followed by R3 meta

dogmamann

Dispersion as in how off center you can listen and relatively low drop in SPL (due to cancelling waves) - R series are narrow with 40 degrees under 9db drop if I remember correctly, new reference meta and ls50 meta are around 50 or above. 60 and more is wide dispersion. Wider it is bigger the soundstage that extends outside of speakers.
Here as it’s been mentioned, it’s not only meta material, it’s new UNIQ design as well which brings more improvements including perhaps wider dispersion. Same as original ls50 didn’t just get MAT improvement . Same as reference meta isn’t just about MAT but have different characteristics.
You are right here, I just checked the ls50 and ls50 Meta. They both are more or less 50 degrees. In real life R Series was always narrow to my ears, and ls50 meta wide. Never listened to the Orginal ls50s. In a typical Hi-Fi Store, everything else sounds wider than uniq. Hardly heard any hifi speaker narrow as the r series recently. But they image better than everything. You cannot get both on a speaker if m not wrong.

Top Bottom