• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

emybaneesim

I spoke with a dealer today about buying discounted R series and was told the Meta was imminent with stock arriving any day. I enquired further and was told:
  • Kef R3 Meta pricing £1900
  • Kef R11 Meta pricing £5500
That is quite a steep increase on the non-Meta's RRP of £1500 and £4000 respectively (itself inflation adjusted since release). But when you consider they are currently on sale in at £900 and £2800, it's an approximately doubling.

I then asked if it was just the addition of metamaterial justifying this hike and was told there were significant updates, including to the Uni-Q.

In case anyone asks:
  • I didn't ask pricing for R5 or R7 - I thought this could be easily extrapolated.
  • I have no insider connection to Kef or the dealer, was just calling to discuss a sale and was surprised they were so candid.
  • I was not told this information was under NDA or other embargo – so don’t consider it to be “private or confidential” under ASR rules - but don't want to cause trouble for anyone, so FWIW happy to delete anything sensitive at the request of Kef. From the ASR perspective, moderators do what you gotta do... just thought some exciting gossip and in general feel a bit of news pre-official announcement is good for manufacturers.
  • I have no idea if Kef will call this a new generation of Uni-Q. Already find it curious they are undercutting their own Reference series so soon. IIRC, the biggest difference in the Uni-Q was the neodymium magnet that shadows the cone less. Pure speculation on my behalf, if that's trickling down (we only have neodymium to last to 2035 per some reports, so better get in soon!).
  • I’ve seen some hefty discounts on the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers too (though they are getting on), so I wonder if the R series partners there may get the Meta treatment too.
  • I have no information to share beyond what I've stated here. No idea about pricing or availability outside UK, though from previous experience Euro prices follow FX quite closely whilst our American friends have to pay a large premium (one of the rare cases where we are better off!)
From what I gather, the non-Meta R series looked quite similar in performance to non-Meta Reference, before the new Reference opened a significant gap… how far will this close it?

In any case, it makes for some interesting buying quandaries. For example, now:

R3 Meta + S3 stand = £2550 ~ R11 non-Meta

I guess we’ll have to see what the measurements look like*… of course, that one will also depend on taste for looks, room size, whether you have/want subs, how loud you want to go, etc. (Ok, there are cheaper stands than the S3 as well, but personally I want one that bolts on and tidies cables.)

What to choose? The answer must be to buy both for controlled blind tests at home, fail to tell the difference, keep the Meta for fronts to be safe anyway, pick up more non-Meta on sale for surrounds and then upgrade everything to Blades after a couple of years

*Would seriously consider buying and drop-shipping for testing as soon as available but I don't think there's anyone in or close enough to the UK with a Klippel providing Amir's outstanding service to us. Anyway, have a number of questions to resolve on my own system build first, but that's for another thread.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes it’s coming this year.

I was advised this when I auditioned LS60 3 weeks ago.

No need to speculate really. It’ll be released when it’s released.

Last edited:

aarons915

Forum Donor
It is a decent price increase but if it measures close to the Reference for that price then it is actually a steal. I felt the original R3 wasn't that close to the Reference and was priced accordingly.

jae

Major Contributor
Just wait for the spins. KEF releases their own CEA2034 data

bodhi

Forum Donor
I was told yesterday that they will be released next week. Seeing that price hike it's no wonder the dealer was eager to start talking about upgrade deal. So, something like 800€ for my R5s and additional I guess 4-5k and I could be owner of marginally better R7 Meta? Don't know about that.

Mario Sanchez

Very curious what the meta version will bring to the table, if I'm not mistaken then KEF's metamaterial absorption is mostly a tweeter thing, and the R3 is already pretty well-behaved in that department...
Can't wait to see the spins.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am positive it will have even better tuning and directivity than the current version, for example the minor reduction of directivity around 3 kHz will be less:

SPL%20Horizontal.png

Source of above measurement: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r3/

alex-z

I then asked if it was just the addition of metamaterial justifying this hike and was told there were significant updates, including to the Uni-Q.
In the other meta models they stiffened the tangerine waveguide on the tweeter to cut distortion, damped the tweeter/woofer gap, and optimized the motor geometry.

Basically a series of small improvements that combined are enough to justify releasing new models. End result in measurements will probably be a modest reduction in distortion above 1500Hz, and maybe a bit less compression at high volumes.

Jukebox

I was not told this information was under NDA or other embargo – so don’t consider it to be “private or confidential” under ASR rules - but don't want to cause trouble for anyone, so FWIW happy to delete anything sensitive at the request of Kef. From the ASR perspective, moderators do what you gotta do...
Everything related Kef R Meta is actually under NDA and your dealer should know better...

Liya

One of the best passives out there, and I'm sure they'll be even better now.

Livewire

R3 have been on clearance for months, and are now 'while supplies last'. Not surprised by this news. Can't wait to see how they measure!

Zvu

In the other meta models they stiffened the tangerine waveguide on the tweeter to cut distortion, damped the tweeter/woofer gap, and optimized the motor geometry...
That's already done with current R series. That's why it is 12th generation UniQ. R series is the first one having 12th gen UniQ. Meta was introduced later. They are just updating the R series with Meta damping for tweeter but i wouldn't be surprised if they use better damped enclosure, different voice coil to cone coupling in woofers (now it is paper but i'd like to see polymer cage). Maybe damping between motor and magnet for UniQ (those are used in Ref/Blade/LS60 at this moment).

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That's already done with current R series. That's why it is 12th generation UniQ. R series is the first one having 12th gen UniQ. Meta was introduced later. They are just updating the R series with Meta damping for tweeter but i wouldn't be surprised if they use better damped enclosure, different voice coil to cone coupling in woofers (now it is paper but i'd like to see polymer cage). Maybe damping between motor and magnet for UniQ (those are used in Ref/Blade/LS60 at this moment).
That may also lead to a crossover redesign. It was the case for the LS50 to LS50 Meta.

Perhaps in some time, they may be ab option for upgrade; those or the Perlisten R. Data will provide the final veredict.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I am positive it will have even better tuning and directivity than the current version, for example the minor reduction of directivity around 3 kHz will be less:

SPL%20Horizontal.png

Source of above measurement: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r3/
+1
I find my r7 a bit bright in that area, i have 3 filters in my R7
3000hz -2dB Q1
5000hz -1dB Q1.41
10000hz +5dB Q25 High Shel filter

With that the speaker to me sounds outstanding

Opal

I mean the R3 already score so well subjectively and objectively, if the Meta vers improves a really good speaker further, how is their Reference series going to sell?? The price difference will never justify it. They have to lower the reference price or they will be shooting their own foot

Top Bottom