• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

lossendae

I mean the R3 already score so well subjectively and objectively, if the Meta vers improves a really good speaker further, how is their Reference series going to sell?? The price difference will never justify it. They have to lower the reference price or they will be shooting their own foot
I think some people would still prefer the reference, because they are "the" reference and completely built in England. I believe that those who can afford those are not specially interested in the best pricing aspect of the speakers.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I mean the R3 already score so well subjectively and objectively, if the Meta vers improves a really good speaker further, how is their Reference series going to sell?? The price difference will never justify it. They have to lower the reference price or they will be shooting their own foot
I think the Reference 8B sub still sells and it seems to measure worse than KF92 and costs 6k.

Zvu

You must look at differences between R and Reference series and you will see where is it that they differ. Those will be the points that will influence the sound most and measurements least. The biggest difference that i see is woofer coupling element between voice coil and cone in Reference/Blade. They use polymer coupler instead of paper cone. I do believe that sound of Ref/Blade coax will be cleaner at higher volume because of more advanced motor assembly - but i see them being more alike than not. Woofers on the other hand are different beasts entirely. Stronger motors, larger diameter of voice coil and different coupling make for quite the difference constructionwise but i'm betting soundwise also. Given that woofer to midrange crossover is relatively high (~400Hz), large part of the sound will be defined by woofers alone.

Zvu

I think some people would still prefer the reference, because they are "the" reference and completely built in England. I believe that those who can afford those are not specially interested in the best pricing aspect of the speakers.

It is completely assembled in England. Drivers are made in China, crossover parts also, terminals and other stuff too. Cabinets are maybe made in England - but i'm not so sure about that either.

HooStat

If it's out there doesn't make it any better in my book. If someone can't keep his agreements then better not have them in the first place.
NDAs are generally written such that they don't apply if the information is publicly available through no fault of the signer of the NDA. Below is an example of such language. It says that the agreement does not apply if the information
is in the public domain at the time of disclosure or which enters the public domain through no improper action by the Receiving Party
So, we don't really know if the person violated their agreement. Plus there are other exclusions like the one I listed above. I would avoid judging anyone without knowing all of the information.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Given the "while suppplies last" sales on the current models, it's completely obvious that new models are on the way soon.

Jukebox

NDAs are generally written such that they don't apply if the information is publicly available through no fault of the signer of the NDA. Below is an example of such language. It says that the agreement does not apply if the information

So, we don't really know if the person violated their agreement. Plus there are other exclusions like the one I listed above. I would avoid judging anyone without knowing all of the information.
Not judging anyone.
Everyone can do as they please :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Reference 8B sub still sells and it seems to measure worse than KF92 and costs 6k.
Really? Do you have a link? I am genuinely interested not questioning you. Thx.

dogmamann

I cannot see this post without lot of salt! The member is new; He knows exactly where this discussion is happening in this website. Only made a new account to inform this!

For the current prices, those are default choices of most having so much positive press.

Such a news would put a full stop to the sales!

dogmamann

+1
I find my r7 a bit bright in that area, i have 3 filters in my R7
3000hz -2dB Q1
5000hz -1dB Q1.41
10000hz +5dB Q25 High Shel filter

With that the speaker to me sounds outstanding
R7 is a decent speaker, but its distortion should be audible, playing little loud(100db) at 40hz without breaking a sweat! If you are using with a sub this shouldn’t be a problem. Outstanding is subjective, so cannot disagree on this part.

dogmamann

I don't blame a dealer for trying to help a customer. Plus this has already been put out there on this board: #1,659 And here as well: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/kef-new-r-speakers-in-february-2023.126559/
I remember seeing this exact post on “Reddit” in r/kef
The user name was different.I am not on audioholics so cannot check if this a new user with no previous posts. On Reddit, the user was new and the post was his first. As the discussion heated he deleted it and went away.

The same post appeared two days later again and again disappeared. For this reason, it’s not worth believing any story about it unless Kef makes it official. Remember ls60, no one knew it was coming until KEF “leaked it”. There is no way a KEF dealer would know what the R&D is doing.

bodhi

Forum Donor
My hifi dealer at least seemed to have somewhat detailed information on the coming line up. If he didn't have any actual information from KEF then he was outright lying, which is a possibility although I can't understand why would he do that. But he said that official information would be available this week so we'll see.

dogmamann

My hifi dealer at least seemed to have somewhat detailed information on the coming line up. If he didn't have any actual information from KEF then he was outright lying, which is a possibility although I can't understand why would he do that. But he said that official information would be available this week so we'll see.
One possibility I think, is now that they are discounted by other dealers, he might be forced to discount too, cutting his profit. So, either he can stop someone from making a decision right now, or smoothly recommend another brand so that the buyer feels more comfortable in not choosing something with ambiguity.

dogmamann

Every week I see this coming up in Reddit, and disappearing that now at this point it looks like someone is having fun with Kef buyers.

lossendae

There is no way a KEF dealer would know what the R&D is doing.
It's possible to know what's coming. Manufacturer cut orders months in advance in prévision of a new replacing product.

They don't necessarily have details, but they deduce a bracket for the release date. Depending on the size of the dealer, everything will be more or less detailed and precise.

It's also Kef who can authorize partners to cut prices as much as they do given that they don't want dealers to cut their margins permanently. Dealers don't want to either and complain to the brands if another actor do so. That's what public prices are for.

Sometimes, price drop prelude an a new release. That's what it is here.

dogmamann

It's possible to know what's coming. Manufacturer cut orders months in advance in prévision of a new replacing product.

They don't necessarily have details, but they deduce a bracket for the release date. Depending on the size of the dealer, everything will be more or less detailed and precise.

It's also Kef who can authorize partners to cut prices as much as they do given that they don't want dealers to cut their margins permanently. Dealers don't want to either and complain to the brands if another actor do so. That's what public prices are for.

Sometimes, price drop prelude an a new release. That's what it is here.
I am 100 percent sure this is yet another “dealer said so story” from Reddit !!

Someone was playing with the guys on Reddit for some months now. Everyday the same set of people used to ask this “new user” about more details. And after few days the user vanishes or the post get deleted. If you are on r/Kef it’s hard to miss this.

This looks quite similar to that.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor

R7 is a decent speaker, but its distortion should be audible, playing little loud(100db) at 40hz without breaking a sweat! If you are using with a sub this shouldn’t be a problem. Outstanding is subjective, so cannot disagree on this part.
Actually is 105dB, a single speaker. 105+6=> 111dB.

You can see Stereoplay measurements for check the number, it's the same number that provided by kef.

As a user i never noticed distortion since i'm in a little room, i don't need that much volume, that being said i have a pretty heavy in-room EQ and when i cranck them up the volume i never noticed the any distortion in the bass, i guess i'm a bit far for the max volume.

My R300s were another history, these started to do weird bass noises at 120hz~ at much lower volume, a very different quality of woofers between 2012~ series and the 2018~ series.

dogmamann

Actually is 105dB, a single speaker. 105+6=> 111dB.

You can see Stereoplay measurements for check the number, it's the same number that provided by kef.

As a user i never noticed distortion since i'm in a little room, i don't need that much volume, that being said i have a pretty heavy in-room EQ and when i cranck them up the volume i never noticed the any distortion in the bass, i guess i'm a bit far for the max volume.

My R300s were another history, these started to do weird bass noises at 120hz~ at much lower volume, a very different quality of woofers between 2012~ series and the 2018~ series.
Two speakers; distortion at two different frequencies. Both theoretically above Audible range. I had one of these the 7K, never heard any distortion on that one at that mentioned. Must be same for the other one too at that level applying the same logic.

Attachments

• 9473E5F1-CDD5-44A8-8B29-9EC51568C79F.jpeg
    9473E5F1-CDD5-44A8-8B29-9EC51568C79F.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 84ADA128-EF8E-4AF7-920E-10CB62AA656A.jpeg
    84ADA128-EF8E-4AF7-920E-10CB62AA656A.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 128
Top Bottom