• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Q950 + Hypex 252 vs Adam S3V

dashbad

Maybe a slightly odd question but I am considering replacing my amp+passive setup with active Adams. This is for living room usage, music mainly. I have a DJ setup in the same room with Adam monitors + sub and I like the idea of a consistent sound signature.

When I browse the specs of these speakers it looks like the Adam's will actually go louder with a bigger bass extension. Is this a correct interpretation or are there other things I need to consider?

The Q950s do a good job currently of filling the room at ~3.5m listening distance and I want to ensure the Adam's would perform similarly in this regard.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most reliable way of finding out about bass extension is to put them both in the same room and in the same position (as you both own them), level match them and run a REW (free software) frequency sweep using a 100USD UMIK1.

If it is very pronounced you might hear the difference too, but sighted hearing is deceiving.

OP
D

dashbad

I dont currently own Adam S3V. DJ setup uses Adam t7v for nearfield DJ use only

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont currently own Adam S3V. DJ setup uses Adam t7v for nearfield DJ use only
That wasn’t clear in your initial post.

Order one with a good return policy as listening / measuring at home always beats any internet opinion.

Also look at Neumann, Genelec. Room EQ eg MA1 and GLM included.

OP
D

dashbad

The Adams look competent, but for that money I’d really consider Neumann KH420’s. They go louder and play cleaner (less resonances and imd).
Adam S3V measurements
Neumann KH420 measurements
The Neumann link here appears to be broken but I'm interested in your statements that the KH420 go louder. This is measured I assume? As the manufacturer specs put the S3V at 124db and the KH420 at 122.4db

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Neumann link here appears to be broken but I'm interested in your statements that the KH420 go louder. This is measured I assume? As the manufacturer specs put the S3V at 124db and the KH420 at 122.4db
Thanks, I fixed the link for you. For a quick reference I attached the max spl measurements from S&R.
BBF84325-714C-41A1-9605-90EAD71826BB.jpeg

FC2610C5-2B9C-4035-B19C-6F8242978412.jpeg

Top Bottom