• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Q350 Speaker Review

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Some speakers are just poor designs that only exist because of historical precedent.
Keith

ezra_s

Forum Donor
KEF do pretty well in blind testing from what I've seen. This article compares about a dozen budget bookshelf speakers and the Q150 was the overall winner and the Upgrade pick. They mention how they evaluated but it was blind with a switcher capable of instantly switching between 3 pair of speakers at a time.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bookshelf-speakers/

This one was the finaly review that convinced me to buy the KEF Q150 in the first place.

FWIW I did the most important blind tests.. called WBT (Wife Blind Tests) and she picked the KEF over the Buchardt s400 in 75% of the times

Last edited:

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Q350 is really good, I used to own a pair. Come on amirm, you did enjoy the bloated midbass of the M16, why did you mistreat the Q350?

I wouldn't take his subjective impressions too personal :p

Although we can hugely value his experience and expertise, for subjective tests nothing beats your own ears listening to a pair of speakers for an extended period of times and trying different positions than amirm limited first impressions w/1 speaker listening tests.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check the filter of a B&w 700 speaker the difference is huge. B&W use munforf cap.
Doesn't seem to help much the poorly designed 700 series...

They should rather work on their crossover...

fr_on1530 (1).gif

(704 S2)

:eek:

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't seem to help much the poor designed 700 series...

They should rather work on their crossover...

View attachment 64616
(704 S2)

:eek:

Although this series of B&W speakers leaves a lot to be desired, in this case I think the dip seen in the measurements is mostly attributable to the measurement having been taken on the wrong axis, and the crossover being at a very high frequency relative to the C2C distance between the drivers.

The 702 S2 was measured by Stereophile, who essentially found the midrange axis to be the design axis, not the tweeter axis:

518BW702fig4.jpg

EDIT: I take that back partially.

Obviously, neither axis is ideal, with a dip in the upper midrange swapping places with a dip in the mid-treble. Perhaps the optimum axis was somewhere in between (or perhaps the speaker is just a mess, lol).

QMuse

Major Contributor
Although this series of B&W speakers leaves a lot to be desired, in this case I think the dip seen in the measurements is mostly attributable to the measurement having been taken on the wrong axis, and the crossover being at a very high frequency relative to the C2C distance between the drivers.

The 702 S2 was measured by Stereophile, who essentially found the midrange axis to be the design axis, not the tweeter axis:

518BW702fig4.jpg

EDIT: I take that back partially.

Obviously, neither axis is ideal, with a dip in the upper midrange swapping places with a dip in the mid-treble. Perhaps the optimum axis was somewhere in between (or perhaps the speaker is just a mess, lol).

Which revealed even deeper 5kHz dip. :)

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I run these speakers in my quasi-vintage office system, but I use them basically as near-field monitors. Doubt I would even consider them for a main system.

1590069498350.png

Top Bottom