• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Q350 Speaker Review

crappypanther

The only thing I didn't understand about this review is the "no recommendation"
The speakers measure well and sound good, for some reason you don't like them but why not a recommendation?
Also I think. I recently put my Wharfedale 12 2 up for sale, because I bought Q350 and like its tonal balance more. For me, both are high-quality acoustics, but Q350 It's just right for me in my room. Despite the fact that I had and have a lot of different acoustics and studio monitors, more expensive and cheaper. There is something to compare.

Stoo

Wonder if someone tested the raw driver from Q350.. the response dip around 1 kHz with corresponding burst of HD could be the surround resonance, in which case it is unfortunately very difficult to treat and trying to fill the response dip with EQ boost would increase HD in this frequency even more.
However if this issue is attributed to the cabinet diffraction (even if partly, for big enough part) - then it can be potentially treated by i.e. using grills with felt treatments stuck underneath and/or modifying the cabinet by attaching roundover baffle extensions or similar.

Also was surprising that whilst it became obvious during Amir's testing that port is having clearly detrimental resonance issue, if stock foam plugs doesn't do enough to fix.. why not try just to plug the port with piece of cloth like a sock or smth..? Not a very sophisticated solution but seemingly obvious and potentially effective.
Furthermore, it seems there is insufficient cabinet bracing and minimal to no damping material inside.. That seems to be cheap and easy DYI fix. And advance DYI fix owuld be also to brace the magnet (so to reduce detrimental properties of steel basket)

maty

Major Contributor
The best of the Q series is the coaxial speaker (expensive). KEF has skimped on the rest, and even more so in the latest series, the Q*50, as filter components.

With a little DIY the improvement is great.

Stoo

The best of the Q series is the coaxial speaker (expensive). KEF has skimped on the rest, and even more so in the latest series, the Q*50, as filter components.

still leaves a question whether the raw driver has inherent problem of rubber surround's resonance, which would naturally limit maximum improvement possible to achieve via other means like upgrading cabinets and crossover filter.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wonder if someone tested the raw driver from Q350.. the response dip around 1 kHz with corresponding burst of HD could be the surround resonance, in which case it is unfortunately very difficult to treat and trying to fill the response dip with EQ boost would increase HD in this frequency even more.
However if this issue is attributed to the cabinet diffraction (even if partly, for big enough part) - then it can be potentially treated by i.e. using grills with felt treatments stuck underneath and/or modifying the cabinet by attaching roundover baffle extensions or similar.

Also was surprising that whilst it became obvious during Amir's testing that port is having clearly detrimental resonance issue, if stock foam plugs doesn't do enough to fix.. why not try just to plug the port with piece of cloth like a sock or smth..? Not a very sophisticated solution but seemingly obvious and potentially effective.
Furthermore, it seems there is insufficient cabinet bracing and minimal to no damping material inside.. That seems to be cheap and easy DYI fix. And advance DYI fix owuld be also to brace the magnet (so to reduce detrimental properties of steel basket)

still leaves a question whether the raw driver has inherent problem of rubber surround's resonance, which would naturally limit maximum improvement possible to achieve via other means like upgrading cabinets and crossover filter.
Its KEF's value or say cheapest series, therefor it should be natural its not the most top notch bracing and expensive round overs or expensive components used here and of course a diy'er could set in on that front, that said im pretty shure any work in that area wont change anything on the pro graphs published here, the culprit is the most often seen here at site and coused by port noice into 500Hz-2kHz problem area, KEF could of couse improve that point but are probly not interested because a value series should differ from their better series so we get something for our money pick their higher series. Because the surround's KEF use looks the same from value series up to top series my guess is stop speculate in that area as a inteference thing, but if you want more reasons than port noice being responsiple alone for the interference in that 500Hz-2kHz area, good old stuff as diffraction + mismatched timing + mismatched XO slope's could add up to the port noice seen in the problem area 500Hz-2kHz.

crappypanther

Guys, dont look only at frequency response graph. Just look at "Fundamental +Harmonic distortion components". It is without smoothing (and without a port). And you will see, that these resonances don't look as scary as they do on the FR graph. About the same as hundreds of other speakers

Shoegazer

I've discovered a resonance (buzz/rattle) in my Q350's that is not present in my Q950 towers or Q650c center channel.

I've only heard this on a particular part of a particular piece of ambient music. I looped the offending part & listened closely to the speakers & it seems like the binding posts are buzzing. I can reduce the buzzing by about half by putting my hands on the banana plugs, but some of it is still there regardless. My banana plugs do fit kind of wobbly into the KEF's posts so I tried removing them & wiring them bare but there is still some buzz present. Both speakers are doing this once I get up to a certain volume (loud but not excessively so). My EQ is flat & the crossover is set at 110hz so there's no excessive bass & it seems to be midrange frequencies causing it anyway. The buzz occurs regardless of whether the ports are plugged or not.

Here's a clip:

Here's the track causing this, right around 1:46 if anyone wants to test their own:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've discovered a resonance (buzz/rattle) in my Q350's that is not present in my Q950 towers or Q650c center channel.

I've only heard this on a particular part of a particular piece of ambient music. I looped the offending part & listened closely to the speakers & it seems like the binding posts are buzzing. I can reduce the buzzing by about half by putting my hands on the banana plugs, but some of it is still there regardless. My banana plugs do fit kind of wobbly into the KEF's posts so I tried removing them & wiring them bare but there is still some buzz present. Both speakers are doing this once I get up to a certain volume (loud but not excessively so). My EQ is flat & the crossover is set at 110hz so there's no excessive bass & it seems to be midrange frequencies causing it anyway. The buzz occurs regardless of whether the ports are plugged or not.

Here's a clip:

Here's the track causing this, right around 1:46 if anyone wants to test their own:

Frequency sweep the speakers and you will locate the spot(s) where this noise is coming from.

stakatchh

Hi
Are there any suggestion about EQ ?............ ( I have these speakers+nad338 about 4 years and I like it )

Shoegazer

Frequency sweep the speakers and you will locate the spot(s) where this noise is coming from.
I've since stuffed my Q350's with damping material (...cotton shirts) & it actually seems to have worked at eliminating rattle from one one of them completely. The other didn't work as well for some reason, but now has to be several DB louder than I would listen to trigger the buzz, so the frequency generator isn't triggering anything right now unless the volume needs to be higher than I can handle to bring it out.

I'm curious if anyone else with Q350's (or any KEF Q series bookshelves for that matter) could try that particular moment in the song (at a decent volume) & see if they hear a buzz. There's certainly some wild vibrations going on around the back panel & binding posts during it.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the frequency generator isn't triggering anything right now unless the volume needs to be higher than I can handle to bring it out.
Yeah, don't push it if you are not comfortable but it can go fairly loud for the bass frequencies and the mids. For the tweeters don't go screaming loud or you might damage the tweeter. Most people back off when those frequencies start coming out. :D It was mainly aimed at the low frequencies.

Konstantin E

Hello friends!

I've bought KEF Q350 and I was very dissapointed with "boomy" sound. I felt strong vibrations on side walls of the speakers by my hand even on low volume. I did many efforts to place speakers in to right position but the sound was boomy. Nothing helped.
I agree 100% with Amir's review.

So, I decided to trust Amir's opinion and have bought extra Revel M16. I spent some evenings to compare speakers with ampifier Atoll AM200se. M16 has more "soft" and neutral-pleasent sound, but in my small room they also give too extra bass. Not boomy, but not plesent for TV or cinema...

Aa result, I have bougt 15 sq.m. of synthetic winterizer (100 g/m^2). I removed a speakers and very tightly fill boxes by material. I spent around 5 sq.m. in to each box.
Now Q350 seems for me not boomy at all. Probably I hear sometime little "dryness". I think that now tonallity is very closely to HD650. I able to listen all my music collection without headache and I very like Q350. I don't feel any vibrations from the side walls of Q350.
And now I have difficult choice beetwin M16 and Q350 - I want keep both pair :)

IMG_1353.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 177

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends!

I've bought KEF Q350 and I was very dissapointed with "boomy" sound. I felt strong vibrations on side walls of the speakers by my hand even on low volume. I did many efforts to place speakers in to right position but the sound was boomy. Nothing helped.

So, I decided to trust Amir's opinion and have bought extra Revel M16. I spent some evenings to compare speakers with ampifier Atoll AM200se. M16 has more "soft" and neutral-pleasent sound, but in my small room they also give too extra bass. Not boomy, but not plesent for TV or cinema...

Aa result, I have bougt 15 sq.m. of synthetic winterizer (100 g/m^2). I removed a speakers and very tightly fill boxes by material. I spent around 5 sq.m. in to each box.
Now Q350 seems for me not boomy at all. Probably I hear sometime little "dryness". I think that now tonallity is very closely to HD650. I able to listen all my music collection without headache and I very like Q350. I don't feel any vibrations from the side walls of Q350.

View attachment 237126
I don't know a huge amount about speaker design, but I think if you fill the entire inside space with that material (like you have done), then this is surely gonna dramatically change the tuning of the whole speaker. Your frequency response would probably be nothing like that measured by Amir, which is problematical......you might have been better off using Amir's measurements of the speaker to create an Anechoic EQ of the speaker to fix any of it's frequency response issues, rather than filling the speaker with material & now you don't know what it's frequency response is.

Shoegazer

I don't know a huge amount about speaker design, but I think if you fill the entire inside space with that material (like you have done), then this is surely gonna dramatically change the tuning of the whole speaker. Your frequency response would probably be nothing like that measured by Amir, which is problematical......you might have been better off using Amir's measurements of the speaker to create an Anechoic EQ of the speaker to fix any of it's frequency response issues, rather than filling the speaker with material & now you don't know what it's frequency response is.
I stuffed my Q350's with cotton & subjectively haven't noticed a difference in their sound other than that it got rid of the midrange resonances I heard on a few ambient tracks at higher SPL's & the cabinet sidewalls vibrate significantly less now. It may have changed the frequency response on paper, but not a noticeable night/day difference.

radix

Major Contributor
Hello friends!

View attachment 237126

Did you stuff the rear ports? That's the standard thing to do with any ported speaker to reduce the boomy bass.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends!

View attachment 237126

I stuffed my Q350's with cotton & subjectively haven't noticed a difference in their sound other than that it got rid of the midrange resonances I heard on a few ambient tracks at higher SPL's & the cabinet sidewalls vibrate significantly less now. It may have changed the frequency response on paper, but not a noticeable night/day difference.
To be sure, you could have measured your speaker with UMIK before & after to see what effect it had on the frequency response. In other words you'd leave your tripod mic in the same position, measure the speaker before the mod, then mod the speaker & then place it back at exactly the same position & angle (you would have marked it), then you'd measure the speaker again. I suppose that's the only way to be sure. I can't see how filling the entire cabinet with material would not change the frequency response.

I did stuff the rear ports of my JBL 308p Mkii's when combining with a sub, and I measured the before & after, and it affected the frequency response below around 100Hz (IIRC), but it was absolutely identical everywhere else - that was just stuffing the rear port with socks (lol), but not filling the entire cabinet with material. I would think filling literally the entire cabinet with material would affect the whole frequency response - I might be wrong, an expert on speaker design (DIY or otherwise) can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Konstantin E

Did you stuff the rear ports? That's the standard thing to do with any ported speaker to reduce the boomy bass.
Yes, of course! This is first thing I did.
To be sure, you could have measured your speaker with UMIK before & after to see what effect it had on the frequency response. In other words you'd leave your tripod mic in the same position, measure the speaker before the mod, then mod the speaker & then place it back at exactly the same position & angle (you would have marked it), then you'd measure the speaker again. I suppose that's the only way to be sure. I can't see how filling the entire cabinet with material would not change the frequency response.

I did stuff the rear ports of my JBL 308p Mkii's when combining with a sub, and I measured the before & after, and it affected the frequency response below around 100Hz (IIRC), but it was absolutely identical everywhere else - that was just stuffing the rear port with socks (lol), but not filling the entire cabinet with material. I would think filling literally the entire cabinet with material would affect the whole frequency response - I might be wrong, an expert on speaker design (DIY otherwise) can correct me if I'm wrong.
I would sort boomy bass sound from rear port and boomy resonances from cheap cabinet with thin side walls.

I have no special equepment to check frequency diagram, so my decision was to buy "problem free" Revel M16. After modification of Q350 has (in same room with same DAC and amplifier) very competetive sound with M16. But Q350 and M16 have different "sound color".

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, of course! This is first thing I did.

I would sort boomy bass sound from rear port and boomy resonances from cheap cabinet with thin side walls.

I have no special equepment to check frequency diagram, so my decision was to buy "problem free" Revel M16. After modification of Q350 has (in same room with same DAC and amplifier) very competetive sound with M16. But Q350 and M16 have different "sound color".
Good call on buying the M16 I'd say. You're still in the dark though about your mod on the Q350, you'd probably find a UMIK mic very useful, not only in checking the effects of your speaker mods, but also in finding the best speaker & listening positions for all your speakers (including your M16), as well as using it as a basis for doing RoomEQ on the bass.

Top Bottom