• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Q100 Speaker Review

maty

Major Contributor
Lovers of spectacular graphics of the frequency response at the listening point could tell me how to measure instrument spacing and depth with a mic, in my room and in near field.

Also how to use Circuit Theory to clearly differentiate the effect of adding a bypass capacitor that hardly changes the final value of the capacitance.

With the change of resistor I intuit the explanation (change of harmonic profile in the distortion) but not so with the capacitor in bypass because they are supposed to hardly add resistance and inductance.

tuga

Major Contributor
Lovers of spectacular graphics of the frequency response at the listening point could tell me how to measure instrument spacing and depth with a mic, in my room and in near field.

If the instruments are in your room use a measuring tape.

Otherwise, it's all in happening your head.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
At some point you will have to confront the reality that every post is littered with this gibberish while supplying nothing to back any of it up.
I'm confronting the reality of a nice cold beer.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This sort of thing just gives us all a bad name, by all means disagree but let's not be unnecessarily rude.

There's no question that without the liberal use of the ignore function, SNR in some of these threads is disturbingly poor. Fortunately, it is there.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Q150 on sale now $300/pair @ Kef Direct.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, who's wife would allow such ugly black boxes to enter the living room?!? But those nice KEF Reference speakers- that's another story.. ;)

For some reason KEF only offers Reference with naked, exposed drive units. That cripples their suitability in many homes.

maty

Major Contributor

Attachments

• KEF-Q150-coaxial-driver.jpg
    KEF-Q150-coaxial-driver.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 898
  • KEF-Q150-inside-bracing.jpg
    KEF-Q150-inside-bracing.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 892
  • KEF-Q150-inside-crossover.jpg
    KEF-Q150-inside-crossover.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 512
  • KEF-Q150-frequency-50db-1-12.png
    KEF-Q150-frequency-50db-1-12.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 579
  • KEF-Q150-frequency.png
    KEF-Q150-frequency.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 482
  • KEF-Q150-T-S-parameters.png
    KEF-Q150-T-S-parameters.png
    106 KB · Views: 441

q3cpma

Major Contributor
For some reason KEF only offers Reference with naked, exposed drive units. That cripples their suitability in many homes.
https://uk.kef.com/products/the-reference-grille
Ridiculous that they don't come bundled, at that price point. And expensive by themselves.

Very sexy in white and blue, though:
img-ref1-blueice-single-45degree_1024x1024.jpg

Would love to see some measurements, seeing how good the R3 did, and how interesting the whitepaper is.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I may be getting closer to correlating my listening results with measurements. As to scores, I already mentioned some of my uneasiness about them in an earlier post.

So the scoring requires a revision in the calculation? This is getting misleading :)

maty

Major Contributor
Different sources. Photos from a YouTube video. I have two threads in Audiocircle.com. One about KEF Q100 and other about KEF Q150. Problem: FTP server that I have been using since 1998 closed the free service a month ago, so the thousands of images it shared are no longer available. Luckily I keep the most interesting ones.

* KEF Q150 for $300 - Kefdirect.com, Amazon.com and Crutchfield.com

* KEF Q100 for $300

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
Danny’s version:

He seems to have a seizure right around 2:30 when he talks about the stock “dental floss” gauge inductors and sand cast resistors on an Elac model he was modifying...

Quite humorous...

Best,
Anand.

D

Deleted member 2944

Danny’s version:

Quite humorous...
The whole video is quite humorous. :)
Yet another product kit FS. In this case it doubles the price of the speaker.
I guess this "re-engineering" of existing commercial speaker designs is turning into a viable business model for Danny??

Dave.

Top Bottom