• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Q series vs Revel Concerta 2 for home theater use

sting004

Hi all - long-time lurker of these forums and appreciative of all the knowledge that gets posted here. I tried doing an extensive search before posting but came up short.

I currently own KEF Q350's + SVS PB-1000 for a modest basement home theater setup. In the middle of my research before buying the 650c, I considered making the switch to the Revel M16s + C25. I'm in Canada so it's been difficult to find a local dealer that sells Revel but I am planning on going out in the next couple weeks to test a pair out.

My question is ideally for those with direct experience. Assuming I am using these for 40% HT usage, 40% gaming, 20% music, what is the most appropriate option?

From what I've read, the 650c is a better center than the C25, whereas many would rank the M16's above the 350's. Since the center takes center stage for movies, and often times for gaming too, is there a point in spending the extra $800 to "upgrade" from the KEFs to the Revels?

Thanks in advance.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the Q300 and for a $150 experiment I bought a pair of used Q100 to use one as the center (on its side). It worked great. I don't see anything wrong with sticking with KEF. I think it makes sense to get the best center you can. If you find a used pair of Q350, you could use one of those too.

I am strongly considering doing the same for our family room -- getting the Q650 and some floor-standing KEFs. They seem to work well.

sgent

accessories4less used to sell singles of the Q series. Depending on room size that maybe plenty for a center chanel.

OP
S

sting004

accessories4less used to sell singles of the Q series. Depending on room size that maybe plenty for a center chanel.

They don't ship to Canada unfortunately. You don't find many singles on facebook/kijiji either. I'm resigned to getting the 650c when it goes on sale if I stick with KEF.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Why spend money on new speakers if you only use them for 20% music?

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Not sure about the Q350s but I sold my LS50s because they flubbed out a few times while watching movies, even with a 100Hz crossover. Also, they just weren't as clear as my other speakers in loud scenes in general, which was probably IMD related. My room is 20x11x8 and I listen 8.5' away. Never at reference levels, more like medium-loud, depending on the movie. My room gives up before my other speakers (Studio 530, Stage A130, Aria 906) with 100hz crossover to sub.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
kef only guarantees direct match for 10 years, but they do make all their own drivers and the uniq is pretty bulletproof, As to what you’ll like better only you can say. Check out Elac and paradigm at the same price.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all - long-time lurker of these forums and appreciative of all the knowledge that gets posted here. I tried doing an extensive search before posting but came up short.

I currently own KEF Q350's + SVS PB-1000 for a modest basement home theater setup. In the middle of my research before buying the 650c, I considered making the switch to the Revel M16s + C25. I'm in Canada so it's been difficult to find a local dealer that sells Revel but I am planning on going out in the next couple weeks to test a pair out.

My question is ideally for those with direct experience. Assuming I am using these for 40% HT usage, 40% gaming, 20% music, what is the most appropriate option?

From what I've read, the 650c is a better center than the C25, whereas many would rank the M16's above the 350's. Since the center takes center stage for movies, and often times for gaming too, is there a point in spending the extra $800 to "upgrade" from the KEFs to the Revels?

Thanks in advance.

Center is by far the most important channel for movies, followed by subwoofer(s). Same is mostly true for gaming(ime). The problem with the C25 is the 2 way WTW design. I would go with the KEF here, personally, or maybe M16s + Infinity RC263. Problem with the Revel/Infinity combo is that the aesthetic won't match.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why spend money on new speakers if you only use them for 20% music?

Because great sound for movies sounds awesome, and makes movies so much more fun to watch. Some care about movies more than music. I'm more of a music guy, but I don't see either preference as wrong.

Redan94

I have a HT with Q950s, Q650 and Q350s. I am very happy with the Q650 as center channel.

Top Bottom