• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef Meta or Revel M16 ?

Mackie

I can get both of these for around the same price new.

Have you heard both or if you can decipher the measurements which would you buy and why ?

I'm in a medium sized upstairs apartment and listen mostly at medium to low volume. All things being equal I do like good bass quality over quantity/depth or bass.
Thanks

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can get both of these for around the same price new.

Have you heard both or if you can decipher the measurements which would you buy and why ?

I'm in a medium sized upstairs apartment and listen mostly at medium to low volume. All things being equal I do like good bass quality over quantity/depth or bass.
Thanks
LS50 ?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Revel M16 are significantly cheaper, about $600 less in the USA. That is enough for a decent sub, like an SVS SB-1000 Pro. M16 + decent sub beats pretty much any speaker on the market, even stuff like the KEF R3.

OP
M

Mackie

Revel M16 are significantly cheaper, about $600 less in the USA. That is enough for a decent sub, like an SVS SB-1000 Pro. M16 + decent sub beats pretty much any speaker on the market, even stuff like the KEF R3.
Thanks, I can get them both for the same price in the UK.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I've owned them both and enjoyed them both, although they have different sounds. I sold the KEFs and kept the Revels, although this was personal choice. Either way, you're not making a bad choice whichever one you choose, IMO. Get the one that you prefer. If you later have second thoughts, sell it and get the other one. You've narrowed your search to 2 well measured and and great sounding stand mounted speakers... Enjoy.

OP
M

Mackie

I've owned them both and enjoyed them both, although they have different sounds. I sold the KEFs and kept the Revels, although this was personal choice. Either way, you're not making a bad choice whichever one you choose, IMO. Get the one that you prefer. If you later have second thoughts, sell it and get the other one. You've narrowed your search to 2 well measured and and great sounding stand mounted speakers... Enjoy.
Thanks for that. Very helpful.
Regarding bass , how did they differ ?

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Thanks for that. Very helpful.
Regarding bass , how did they differ ?
They both need a sub, if that's what your asking. However, my observations are not nearly as harsh as many others regarding the lack of bass in the KEFs. However, in your upstairs apartment, a sub will probably make you an unpopular neighbor. I tried both pairs with and a without a sub (Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x). With the sub was better, however without one still made me happy and feel lucky to own either pair. Honestly, no amount of other people's opinion on the merits of these two pairs is going to move the needle for you, IMO. Neither will leave you with remorse for the other... at least that was my experience. With that said.... I also own the Revel F206s, which seem to be the 106 with a woofer, and take up the same floor space. Depending on what you could get a pair (used?) for, that is the best choice. I still have the 106 & 206 in my systems and can't reconcile the laws of diminishing returns to move further up the line for the additional cost. Both pairs will be in my system until the day that I can't hear anything ever again... lol. Enjoy whatever choice that you make.

OP
M

Mackie

Great advice thanks. I personally prefer the look and size of the Kef but I've read the Revel have a little more low bass and actually sound like a small floorstander.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Great advice thanks. I personally prefer the look and size of the Kef but I've read the Revel have a little more low bass and actually sound like a small floorstander.
Those are the personal preferences that will ultimately drive your decision. I actually preferred the look of the KEFs also... along with the "small floorstander" reference... subjective. Your money... your choice.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Had the original LS50s, have the M16s. Prefer the M16s by quite some margin. The LS50s build quality blows away almost everything else I've had, though.

OP
M

Mackie

The Kefs are struck off my list now. However the Wharfedale Lintons have caught my eye. Anyone compared them to the M16's ?
I wonder which speaker would be more flexible with regards to placement ?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Kefs are struck off my list now. However the Wharfedale Lintons have caught my eye. Anyone compared them to the M16's ?
Lintons with 8” woofer and made to be on floor stands I believe?

YSC

Major Contributor
Lintons looks like it will be less flexible in placement, but then TBH, regarding placement freedom nothing beats coaxials

Top Bottom