• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LSX II

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Do you guys also think that the release has been a bit too precipitated? Kef argues that adding metamaterial would make it too expensive. The speakers seem to have no hardware changes except the DSP and connections (particularly on the streaming side). That makes me think it´s a bit of a missed oportunity on a device that was quite good already but missed the improvements we saw in the Wireless II.

Don´t get me wrong, the LSX sound very well, but I think they could have pushed them further on the II version.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Do you guys also think that the release has been a bit too precipitated? Kef argues that adding metamaterial would make it too expensive. The speakers seem to have no hardware changes except the DSP and connections (particularly on the streaming side). That makes me think it´s a bit of a missed oportunity on a device that was quite good already but missed the improvements we saw in the Wireless II.

Don´t get me wrong, the LSX sound very well, but I think they could have pushed them further on the II version.
Very disappointing that they didn’t include their meta-material technology!

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Quite disappointed with the announcement. They’ve tried to pitch it as a smaller w2 (with inclusion of hdmi arc etc.) rather than desktop speakers.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
I'd like to see them release a high-end bookshelf with a larger driver that can handle more output.

HeadDoc12

People, I imagine a HUGE percentage of LS50W2 owners use one or more subwoofers (I myself have 2 KC62s hooked up). Putting the 12th gen meta driver in the LSX2 would steal a TON of sales from the LS50W2. That's why they didn't do that.

Descartes

Major Contributor
People, I imagine a HUGE percentage of LS50W2 owners use one or more subwoofers (I myself have 2 KC62s hooked up). Putting the 12th gen meta driver in the LSX2 would steal a TON of sales from the LS50W2. That's why they didn't do that.
Yes probably!

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry, I meant larger than their 5.25" drivers.
KEF did a 6.5-inch Uni-Q for their entry level series Q350.

But I can think of two reasons KEF would not want to do this on their higher up speakers.
A larger woofer gives the tweeter a tougher time due to needing to crossover at a lower point and a larger woofer with more low-frequency extension would mean more outer cone movement which would increase the chances of intermodulation distortion and that is not what you want in a coincident driver.

I think KEF expects their customers to use these "Baby" LSX ii active speakers in a desktop setup, meaning a majority of low SPL listening. So maybe at such low SPL they discovered there was very little benefit in adding the Meta-material behind the tweeter. Just my thoughts.

Also there is the argument that KEF probably knows their entry level customers are purchasing the LSX as a lifestyle product, and therefore they didn't really feel the need to add significant improvements. They have probably been selling these well to the mainstream market (Bestbuy etc) and know they can keep/increase the price without many changes and continues to reap the profits.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I don´t dissagree with your statement but I´m not fully convinced either. The LSX are, at least to my eyes, the kind of speakers you´d use in a home office, a room or in a very small space. The difference with the Wireless II should be in the spl and the capacity to fit in very tight spaces.

The LS50 WII belong in a larger room and can substitute any soundbar with ease. Overlaping cases? Perhaps; but both have enough difference to be applied to different user cases. Arguably, we could say that the LS50 WII can detract sales from the LS60 too...

MCH

Major Contributor
At 800 eur/pair currently in a few online shops (germany) and with more offers likely to come due to the release of v2, i find the original lsx a great value for, for instance, a home office. No need for dac, amp, nothing, in many use cases. Plug and enjoy. And the looks are good to.
I wish i had a use fo them. They only miss a built in headphone amp :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
At 800 eur/pair currently in a few online shops (germany) and with more offers likely to come due to the release of v2, i find the original lsx a great value for, for instance, a home office. No need for dac, amp, nothing, in many use cases. Plug and enjoy. And the looks are good to.
Agreed. To me, the LSX are the evolution of the old Aiwa or Sanyo micro systems and perfect to plug to a PC.

RJB

They basically fixed the useless connectivity and unreliable app of the LSX version 1 and charge 20% more for the same product now working properly.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They basically fixed the useless connectivity and unreliable app of the LSX version 1 and charge 20% more for the same product now working properly.
Well to account for current inflation it should be 50% so i guess we should be grateful.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a bit more going on here. The new LSX is 55mm less deep as well but has about 10 Hz more extension. Most of that is probably due to more DSP boost, but could also be because of driver optimizations.

Darwin

Do we know the new app works well?

RJB

Except that the app on version one is useless and the connectivity is unreliable
Do we know the new app works well?
Apparently the App of the LS50 wireless II is a huge improvement in stability and usability over Version I, so I guess it would be hard to screw it up for the LSX II

MCH

Major Contributor
What would you need the app for in a desktop scenario with, say, toslink in?
(Honest question, ive never used any kef nor any other active speaker app)

Top Bottom