• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Daka

Better is a big Word, for me its better for my pocket, btw I prefer ur speaker vs ls60, you can make them a very good full range system with minidsp

My first point? The minidsp thing?
You can cut the R7 100hz-20khz and then add good subs, but you need a dsp
For me its better, the LS60 is all you want but still are using 5.25" woofers in a very expensive price tag

Now the thing is apparently because it has bigger dispersion than the normal reference and r series

I dont know, its a weird speaker the LS60. These 5.25 woofers are not better than the unicore 6.5" from kc62 for sub tasks
And bigger dispersion is what many was missing in KEFs to make it perfect. So yes big deal indeed if turns out true.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
And bigger dispersion is what many was missing in KEFs to make it perfect. So yes big deal indeed if turns out true.
Yes, the user need to think if he want that or the others strenght in the others kef lineup

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better is a big Word, for me its better for my pocket, btw I prefer ur speaker vs ls60, you can make them a very good full range system with minidsp

My first point? The minidsp thing?
You can cut the R7 100hz-20khz and then add good subs, but you need a dsp
For me its better, the LS60 is all you want but still are using 5.25" woofers in a very expensive price tag

Now the thing is apparently because it has bigger dispersion than the normal reference and r series

I dont know, its a weird speaker the LS60. These 5.25 woofers are not better than the unicore 6.5" from kc62 for sub tasks
Thanks for clarifying. I keep the Ref 3 and my KF92. Upgraditis cured (for now). :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ref 3 + 2 KF92 should be a superb system for music or as part of a home theatre setup.
I subjectively agree. ;) (why wouldn’t I - love my babies). But I hadn’t looked at the facts to really determine what might be the measurable pros and cons, aside from the obvious (dispersion, price).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But 8 of then vs 2 make a significant difference.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost has to be LSX refresh with this new (meta) 4" Uni-Q from the LS60 right?
From size yes, but not the rest as the 3-way model Uni-Qs are purely optimised mid/tweeter drivers with very small surrounds and no bass capabilities, so the coming LSX II will have a different driver.

harkpabst

Weird is about the last thought I had about LS60 Wireless. It's a pretty clear development from LS50 Wireless. Not so much for individual parts and components, but for concept.

Audiophiles are coming to expect more and more hassle free comfort features. Lifestyle hipsters are coming to expect more and more sound quality. That would be my personal description in a nutshell (or two).

Almost has to be LSX refresh with this new (meta) 4" Uni-Q from the LS60 right?
I don't think so, because the LS60 Uni-Q will not at all be a direct replacement for the LSX one. The former is a pure midrange driver featuring the latest and greatest MAT absorber, magnet decoupling and so on, the latter is still an LF/MF driver in a very different price point.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From size yes, but not the rest as the 3-way model Uni-Qs are purely optimised mid/tweeter drivers with very small surrounds and no bass capabilities, so the coming LSX II will have a different driver.

Makes perfect sense and I thought about that as soon as I walked away from the PC. Feels like it would probably be a derivative product of that 4" Uni-Q meta line to match the targets (freq range, performance and cost) of the LSX. Anyway, maybe splitting hairs with semantics or speculation, I agree it couldn't be the exact same driver.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah but there is so many subs like KF92 rythmik F12, etc
Sure, but many don't want or use them and if they do mostly use one and rarely two. Of course the LS60 is not a SPL monster but on the other hand also no other KEF loudspeaker really is (same as 99% of the hifi loudspeakers) but this is also not needed or expected from their target audience.

harkpabst

Of course the LS60 is not a SPL monster but on the other hand also no other KEF loudspeaker really is (same as 99% of the hifi loudspeakers) but this is also not needed or expected from their target audience.
Very true. And let's not forget: 111 dB max. SPL at 1 m is still pretty hefty for such a small speaker. By chance it exactly equals the R7 in that respect (and clearly beats LS50 Wireless II, of course).

One could argue that there is some trickery involved because bass EQ is reduced at higher levels. This is true as well, but it's very clever trickery and few people will even notice, if they didn't read the white paper. ;)

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Sure, but many don't want or use them and if they do mostly use one and rarely two. Of course the LS60 is not a SPL monster but on the other hand also no other KEF loudspeaker really is (same as 99% of the hifi loudspeakers) but this is also not needed or expected from their target audience.
These kind speakers may not be a spl monster but cross even the R3 at 80hz at that speaker gonna transform a lot in how its sounds..
Also the uniq from the R and reference its kind of horn loaded. Mini horn(?)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These kind speakers may not be a spl monster but cross even the R3 at 80hz at that speaker gonna transform a lot in how its sounds..
You cannot compare the R3 with the LS60 from woofer capabilities, also the most audible advantage of subwoofers is often the different placement and corresponding filling of SBIR dips.

The shadow flare is more to reduce the edge diffraction from the hard baffle edges of the R and Ref models, that's why the LS50 and Blades don't have it, the LS60 baffle has rounded edges and the edges are very close to the driver which reduces the diffraction problems, it is all described in the white paper.

harkpabst

Are you referring to the shadow flare (as it is called by KEF)? I don't think it really should be called a horn and it won't provide much loading of the driver(s).

It's main purpose is to acoustically mask the cabinet edges and thus reduce diffraction. It's a very good example of clever tech that would have probably never made it into any production speaker in a world that didn't have FEM. Just looking at it, many viewers would plain call its influence negligible because of its shallow profile and relatively small size (compared to a true waveguide). Ironically, it was the cheaper build quality and thus higher tolerances with 2018 R series that did proof the point: It has been found out (by Erin and others, if I remember correctly) that some R series speakers showed unexpected dips/peaks in their frequency response. It turned out that by carefully pressing on the edges the shadow flare could be realigned and the irregularities went away.

Edit:
Looks like I'm always late by one minute. From now on I will sit back and let @thewas do the work. :)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like I'm always late by one minute. From now on I will sit back and let @thewas do the work. :)
Thank you, but I think I will now sit back and finally enjoy the Friday evening, so please continue the great work. :)

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

NYfan2

Forum Donor
How did you find ls60 soundstage compared to reference 5? Is it wider?
Obviously ls60 has got EQ built in so you can make them more to your liking.
It's difficult to answer that, in the listening room the soundstage didn't sound wider but the Reference 5 were positioned outside the LS60 positions so wider apart.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Can you eloborate on this?
The amount of bass is amazing, KEFF claim it goes down to 26Hz and a maximum spl of 114db for the LS60. One of the other guests requested to play Angel from Massive Attack (about the only song I know of all the tracks played this afternoon) it is a song with very deep bass and it sounded very good. (As far as this is possible to judge in a room I'm not familiar with and about twenty people in the room.)

Top Bottom