• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

SDC

Somebody from kef japan said some sort of hub for multichannel is being discussed but don't know when we'll actually see it.

And mine is still stuck in KC test. Said it would be done in June(Korea time) so less than 24 hour left but still no sign of passing...

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no way to EQ specific frequencies in expert mode. There's Wall mode, treble trim, phase correction, bass extension, balance control , then subwoofer settings if you're using one or two.

Danaxus

There's no way to EQ specific frequencies in expert mode. There's Wall mode, treble trim, phase correction, bass extension, balance control , then subwoofer settings if you're using one or two.
So if there is a dip as @abdo123 hypothesises, there's potentially no way to ameliorate it.

Powerbench

Andrew mentions he hears a hissing sound when they're not playing. Is that distortion? If true, could be a deal-breaker.
Connectivity issues with Samsung too …again for the price…? I think it should come with a DSP and a mic! Then I’d be convinced.

harkpabst

It comes with a DSP. How would a mic change "connectivity issues with Samsung"? Again for the price?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Somebody from kef japan said some sort of hub for multichannel is being discussed but don't know when we'll actually see it.

And mine is still stuck in KC test. Said it would be done in June(Korea time) so less than 24 hour left but still no sign of passing...
I know Dr. Oclee-Brown reads this forum every once in a while, but if that's the case, I'd be surprised to see they implement something a layman like me also thought about.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It is quite possible that KEF could add a lot more customization on the app if they wanted/needed to. And somehow, that wouldn´t take away the "lifestyle" remark these speakers have been given.

lossendae

I know Dr. Oclee-Brown reads this forum every once in a while, but if that's the case, I'd be surprised to see they implement something a layman like me also thought about.

Still, I would love to see an LSX multichannel with the hub accepting a direct connection from the the fronts (left - righ - center). The cable should transport both power and data.
This would :
- eliminate the need to connect all the external devices onto the main unit (The hub would hold all the inputs)
- simplify cable management (the hub can be hidden in a cabinet, this would reduce needed power sockets from 4 to 1 - only the hub)
- keep the active amplification

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Still, I would love to see an LSX multichannel with the hub accepting a direct connection from the the fronts (left - righ - center). The cable should transport both power and data.
This would :
- eliminate the need to connect all the external devices onto the main unit (The hub would hold all the inputs)
- simplify cable management (the hub can be hidden in a cabinet, this would reduce needed power sockets from 4 to 1 - only the hub)
- keep the active amplification
Due to WiSa limitations in terms of channels; to me the best method would be a network hub to plug all the Rj45 cables coming out of each speaker. The hub could host, let´s say, 11, 13, 15 channels (or any number).

The codec processing could be done in the main speaker with all the connections (which it already does), thus using the network cables to send the digital signal to each speaker. Each speaker, in turn, would take that digital signal, run it through the dac, dsp and amp to produce the final sound. Add a room correction sofware license, a bit further customization options on the app and you get rid of boxes.

I don´t know if the power requirements of each speaker could be satisfied with power over ethernet, but if that´s the case, it can be done. If not; well, two cables per speaker.

Butter

My LS60's arrived a day ago, so my experience is limited. So far, both my wife and son say they hear things in their favorite songs which they hadn't heard before. And they like that it's very convenient to use with Spotify or Tidal or whatever.
I spent some time with REW, and seem to have a wide dip around 150 and a peak around 50, so I'll play some more with placement. Eventually I'll use Roon EQ for remaining adjustment, but I also want it to be reasonable with non-EQ'd sources like movies and such.
Basic LS60 untreated room.png

SDC

My LS60's arrived a day ago, so my experience is limited. So far, both my wife and son say they hear things in their favorite songs which they hadn't heard before. And they like that it's very convenient to use with Spotify or Tidal or whatever.
I spent some time with REW, and seem to have a wide dip around 150 and a peak around 50, so I'll play some more with placement. Eventually I'll use Roon EQ for remaining adjustment, but I also want it to be reasonable with non-EQ'd sources like movies and such. View attachment 216111

Great news you got it and family likes it. I'm waiting for 3 weeks since I paid for it... Dealer said next week, but said June last time I asked... Forever delayed.

KEF calls 2ch LS60 earc input "home theather" so I won't be suprised to see such hub never making it to the market...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The key is the capacity to handle a codec such as Atmos or DTS. If they can, it's just a matter of resending the signal to the right channel.

However, I'd unlock more customization for the user in the app. That is even more important in a multichannel environment.

Reactions: SDC

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I spent some time with REW, and seem to have a wide dip around 150 and a peak around 50, so I'll play some more with placement. Eventually I'll use Roon EQ for remaining adjustment, but I also want it to be reasonable with non-EQ'd sources like movies and such. View attachment 216111

Nice! That dip between 100-200Hz looks like classic floor/ceiling bounce, but with these side firing woofers - is it side wall?

Top Bottom