• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless + Dual KC62 Setup/Placement Advice Needed

Hyperflux

Forum Donor
I was wondering if anyone could offer general advice for my current living room setup with my KEF LS60 Wireless towers + dual KC62 subwoofers to optimize sound quality. Any advice on placement, settings/EQ/DSP via the KEF Connect App, room acoustics/insulation/panel suggestions, etc would be much appreciated. Same goes for my office/studio/vinyl room setup (LS50 Wireless II on desk stands + single KC62 subwoofer).

Here's pics of my full setup for both rooms (work in progress): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ektsin3ypkVmPn4F7EfPf9Bvvt55pKXF

The room dimensions for my living room are 13ft wide (along the TV/speaker wall) by 10ft length (stupid fireplace is blocking how far my couches can go, but there's another 12ft or so of length towards the kitchen/bar for guests).

I'm not sure how to integrate the dual KC62 subs well with the LS60 towers right now since there's so little anecdotal info/FB group discussion (but there's a lot on the LS50 WII + KC62 - I've found that setting sub-out low pass to 60hz and high pass to 75hz with a +3.0dB sub gain is ideal for a single KC62 in my office with the LS50 WII on my desk stands).

Right now I'm using the pictured setup in my living room with the LS60 towers 13.5in away from the back wall and 8" away from the media cabinet. The KC62 subs are in the same plane driver as the towers, I've played around with going deeper towards the wall/corner and bringing it back up past the towers. My current EQ/app settings are also attached in that GDrive link above (47.5hz low pass, 65hz high pass, -3.0 to 0dB sub gain, stereo bass output, 80hz crossover on physical dial, 12 o'clock volume dial as suggested from the app).

I realize the room is suboptimal in general (framed glass art prints on the LHS which I can remove, shutters on the RHS which I don't open, a 65" A95K TV in the center, too small in general, lots of reflections, etc) but I'm hoping I can circumvent it somehow with diffusers/bass traps/general acoustic panels from GIK or such. Same goes for my office - there's a glass closet on one side, thick drapes on the other side (hoping to replace them with wooden window slats/plantation shutters), and it's open door.

Anyway I'm just shooting in the dark right now for some advice mainly on my new LS60/dual KC62 setup, any input is appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
KEF LS60 Wireless towers + dual KC62?

For the same price you could get a Boeing 747. I bet they sound great.

Doesn’t the KEF app set up the sub?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The KEF app does indeed, @OP you need to acoustically measure with REW, you might in the meantime enter your room‘s dimensions in REW’s ‘room sim’ feature you can virtually drag everything around and see how the FR changes.
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The KEF app does indeed, @OP you need to acoustically measure with REW, you might in the meantime enter your room‘s dimensions in REW’s ‘room sim’ feature you can virtually drag everything around and see how the FR changes.
Yes, the KEF app is very good for implementing this set-up but one should have something else to measure the sound in order determine the settings. REW is free and good for this because it can tell you how good your settings are if you set them by ear or trial-and-error. I have gotten excellent results this way with REW, the LS60s and a pair of subs

However, there is no way for the KEF app to implement any of the correction filters that REW or other sophisticaled acoustics/roomEQ programs would generate.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I completely agree and use Roon for that.
Keith

Tangband

Major Contributor
I was wondering if anyone could offer general advice for my current living room setup with my KEF LS60 Wireless towers + dual KC62 subwoofers to optimize sound quality. Any advice on placement, settings/EQ/DSP via the KEF Connect App, room acoustics/insulation/panel suggestions, etc would be much appreciated. Same goes for my office/studio/vinyl room setup (LS50 Wireless II on desk stands + single KC62 subwoofer).

Here's pics of my full setup for both rooms (work in progress): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ektsin3ypkVmPn4F7EfPf9Bvvt55pKXF

The room dimensions for my living room are 13ft wide (along the TV/speaker wall) by 10ft length (stupid fireplace is blocking how far my couches can go, but there's another 12ft or so of length towards the kitchen/bar for guests).

I'm not sure how to integrate the dual KC62 subs well with the LS60 towers right now since there's so little anecdotal info/FB group discussion (but there's a lot on the LS50 WII + KC62 - I've found that setting sub-out low pass to 60hz and high pass to 75hz with a +3.0dB sub gain is ideal for a single KC62 in my office with the LS50 WII on my desk stands).

Right now I'm using the pictured setup in my living room with the LS60 towers 13.5in away from the back wall and 8" away from the media cabinet. The KC62 subs are in the same plane driver as the towers, I've played around with going deeper towards the wall/corner and bringing it back up past the towers. My current EQ/app settings are also attached in that GDrive link above (47.5hz low pass, 65hz high pass, -3.0 to 0dB sub gain, stereo bass output, 80hz crossover on physical dial, 12 o'clock volume dial as suggested from the app).

I realize the room is suboptimal in general (framed glass art prints on the LHS which I can remove, shutters on the RHS which I don't open, a 65" A95K TV in the center, too small in general, lots of reflections, etc) but I'm hoping I can circumvent it somehow with diffusers/bass traps/general acoustic panels from GIK or such. Same goes for my office - there's a glass closet on one side, thick drapes on the other side (hoping to replace them with wooden window slats/plantation shutters), and it's open door.

Anyway I'm just shooting in the dark right now for some advice mainly on my new LS60/dual KC62 setup, any input is appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Nice setup !
Use your ears.

1. Play with the distance between your ls60 and the distance to the frontwall, until they play very good bass with music without subwoofers . 10 cm difference in placement can make a difference . Listen to the bass tunes. This will take one hour deciding - better/worse.

Its like using an old camera and adjust the right focus in the picture - but in this case you listen to the pitch of each bass tone.

Roberts Plants ” little by little ” is a good song for this : you should hear every bass tone clearly and with the same perceived level for different tones.

2. If you can - putting the stereo subwoofers on the inside of each ls60 ( or any other speakers ) is often a better sounding option . Otherwise, keep it as you have it.

The ls60:s correct placement ( without subwoofers ) are much more important and must be mandatory.

Last edited:

Soundstage

After acquiring the LS60 I am considering a similar path with single or dual KC62. How is your integration going so far?

Danaxus

I really question how much the KC62s can add to the LS60s, seeing as their base is already quite tight. Personally I'm leaning towards the SVS PB3000s - get some big drivers and mass to produce really deep bass that the LS60s can't already do. That said I've never heard the KC62s - maybe they really offer a lot of value.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
maybe they really offer a lot of value.

They don't. But two of them can provide enough deep bass in a small room. For bigger room you can get the KF92s, which isn't great value either. :)

Willem

Major Contributor
The KC62 and the KF92 were both designed to extract the maximum performance out of a small box, and they deliver. However, such technology is not cheap, but potentially worth it if space is at a premium. For the best integration, measure in-room response with a Umik-1 and REW. And as Kal wrote, they do need some form of room equalization.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After acquiring the LS60 I am considering a similar path with single or dual KC62. How is your integration going so far?
I agree with @Danaxus

When I was shopping for subs for my Reference 3s I had quite a few for testing at home. KC62, SBS 3000 Micro, KH750 Neumann etc as I wanted a small form factor. However, these small subs simply are too small for full range floorstanders with decent enough sub capability on their own. The small ones actually made the bass worse as some would say no wonder but I also confirmed with REW. So I bought two KF92, which I think is the least to complement the LS60 if not even bigger if you don’t mind the lager form factors.

sverre

I would use the subwoofers to smooth out the room resonances that remain after you place the speakers. Place them at locations where the bass is weak.

Top Bottom