• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless / Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX / Geithain RL 921K - Where is the first speaker with 9.0 points?

totti1965

According to spinorama.org, the KEF LS 60 - measured without frequency response equalization and also without virtually putting a perfect subwoofer aside - is perhaps the best speaker ever added to the Spinorama.org database with 8.0 points. It's pity a shame that no one is sending Amir his KEF LS60 speaker for testing.
In fact, the problem with the 8.0 is, unfortunately, that spinorama rates the quality of the collected data as "medium", since it comes entirely from the manufacturer himself.
What I would give for an independent measurement by Amir.....
Could the 8.0 be confirmed?
One full point more than the superior Neumann KH 150!!!!!
The Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX has the same problem as the KEF LS60 wireless:
The 8.9 Spinorama points for the measurement with frequency response correction as well as addition of a perfect subwoofer are not yet independently confirmed by Amir! So what would I give?
Don't know -
What I do know: for the first manufacturer who, confirmed by Amir's measurements, reaches the 9.0 points in the Spinorama database no matter if with or without frequency response correction - gladly also with virtual addition of a perfect subwoofer - (previous record 8.8 (Kii Audio Kii Three and Genelec 8341A) !!!) I will donate USD 100,--. USD 50,-- for Amir and USD 50,-- for the manufacturer (who would become a legend anyway with such a feat.... )! Who participates?
P.S. I have a cheeky question: Wouldn't a Geithain RL 901k or RL 921k like they are in so many big recording studios in Europe (https://www.me-geithain.de/de/assets/media/products/studio/RL921K/Stereoplay 05-2020 RL921K.pdf) immediately pulverize every record of spinorama.org because of its extremely balanced frequency response and its cardioid characteristic?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to spinorama.org, the KEF LS 60 - measured without frequency response equalization and also without virtually putting a perfect subwoofer aside - is perhaps the best speaker ever added to the Spinorama.org database with 8.0 points. It's pity a shame that no one is sending Amir his KEF LS60 speaker for testing.
In fact, the problem with the 8.0 is, unfortunately, that spinorama rates the quality of the collected data as "medium", since it comes entirely from the manufacturer himself.
What I would give for an independent measurement by Amir.....
Could the 8.0 be confirmed?
One full point more than the superior Neumann KH 150!!!!!
The Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX has the same problem as the KEF LS60 wireless:
The 8.9 Spinorama points for the measurement with frequency response correction as well as addition of a perfect subwoofer are not yet independently confirmed by Amir! So what would I give?
Don't know -
What I do know: for the first manufacturer who, confirmed by Amir's measurements, reaches the 9.0 points in the Spinorama database no matter if with or without frequency response correction - gladly also with virtual addition of a perfect subwoofer - (previous record 8.8 (Kii Audio Kii Three and Genelec 8341A) !!!) I will donate USD 100,--. USD 50,-- for Amir and USD 50,-- for the manufacturer (who would become a legend anyway with such a feat.... )! Who participates?
P.S. I have a cheeky question: Wouldn't a Geithain RL 901k or RL 921k like they are in so many big recording studios in Europe (https://www.me-geithain.de/de/assets/media/products/studio/RL921K/Stereoplay 05-2020 RL921K.pdf) immediately pulverize every record of spinorama.org because of its extremely balanced frequency response and its cardioid characteristic?
Why would the Geithan do any good, when looking at that strange on axis FR? Let alone we don’t know its directivity? Or what am I missing?

Also remember the preference score depends ca 30% on low frequency extension (in line with the Harman listening tests) so any smaller speaker (eg KH150) will always do worse vs a similar well engineered larger speaker (eg LS60) despite the probably superior linearity of the KH150 in the higher FR range.

OP
totti1965

totti1965

Why would the Geithan do any good, when looking at that strange on axis FR? Let alone we don’t know its directivity? Or what am I missing?

Also remember the preference score depends ca 30% on low frequency extension (in line with the Harman listening tests) so any smaller speaker (eg KH150) will always do worse vs a similar well engineered larger speaker (eg LS60) despite the probably superior linearity of the KH150 in the higher FR range.
Ah! The stereoplay measurement is made with MLSSA - no smoothing at all. It is probably more linear between 30 Hz and 20 kHz than 99% of the other speakers tested by stereoplay. Note: The plot goes up to 40 kHz! The slight peak in the high frequency range is beyond 20 kHz. Directivity ist tested: 30 degrees horizontally and 10 degrees vertically - very close to the on-axis measurement. I suspect that if Amir ever gets his hands on an active 3-way Geithain, he would be quite satisfied.
Hmmm - what i am wondering about is: Even the large Revel F228 Be and Revel F328 Be reached only 6.2 and 6.6 Points without Woofer (less than a Neumann KH 150) but there is no doubt that these Revel-speakers are increadibly good. How creadible is the 8.0 for the KEF LS60? How much can we trust the Klippel-measurements of KEF? Only Amir could tell!

Top Bottom