• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Wireless II vs JBL 4305P for Small / Med-Small Living Room Setup

monkixote

Hey all!

I'm moving into a small / medium-small living room and I've purchased a RSL Speedwoofer MkII to pair with set of active stereo speakers. For where I'm located - Taiwan - getting a pair of LS50WIIs and 4305Ps will be roughly the same price shipped from the US ($2400).

I know my sub is likely the weak link here in terms of quality but I'm moving into an older apartment complex so I went with something "lightweight" to avoid angering the other residents.

At the moment I'm stuck on which of these to get for my usage (even split between music, cinema, and gaming) - or to just ball out and splurge on a set of B-stock Buchardt A500s. Conversely, would the new KEF LSX IIs get me most of the way there at a significantly lower budget? What do ya'll think?

Are there any obvious alternatives I'm missing? If there's any additional information I can provide, just ask. I've been stewing over this question for a while now, so would definitely appreciate any input!

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you didn't already have the Speedwoofers, I would say the A500's. But, you do so I'd personally go for the LS50W II's. There's no way I could ever be OK, mentally, with knowing I only have 5 vertical degrees of variance on the 4305's before sound quality is affected. Now, I stress the word 'mentally' because in the real world room and layout will likely give you bigger things to worry about.

JBL's, in general, tend to offer better dynamic range which most would interpret as "more fun" vs. Kef's "more accurate". These are oversimplifications, but if you don't have a way to listen for yourself it's the best analogy I can think of.

Top Bottom