• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Wireless 2 user experience

TSX

Hi,

I’ve borrowed a pair this weekend from a local hifi dealer. They sound great and all, but I’m a bit reluctant to cashing out 3K so far. I’ve encountered a few quirks and issues already. I’m using Roon and streaming wireless. Here are some of the things I’ve already had to deal with.

1 Setup was not as easy as I anticipated. Had a network error when first connecting ”Airplay” speaker. Speaker and router was two feet apart. Had to go through the setup a few times before it worked. I know it’s a one time manoeuvre, but still.

2 Moving the speakers from one room to another, the “slave” lost connection after replugging the power cords. Could not get it to connect no matter what. Had to reset the “master” and start all over.

3 when connecting to tv over eARC, I cannot change volume with tv remote. Sound goes out over hdmi though. Not a problem with other periphials.

4 changes to phase correction and bass settings does not reflect in Roon.

How is the general life with a “smart speakers” ? I was hoping for a plug and play experience, as I’ve had with Sonos for the last half decade or so, but it seems that that’s not necessarily the case with KEF’s?

Any real world long term experience with the speakers?

Thanks!

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is one principle in general I like to follow. Wherever possible use a wire to connect things. If your router is only 2 feet away why not just connect it with a slim Ethernet cable?

I had the LS50w. I did not concern myself with that wireless slave connection. The single Ethernet cable to connect the two units was ok by me.

In general the fewer devices you have on your wireless network(s) and broadcasting in your wireless environment the better results you get.

On point 3 I cannot understand that. Do you have the setting for CEC control on your TV? That is one convenience I cannot give up now that I have used it. If they didn’t allow for CEC control of volume that is a huge oversight.

On point 4, probably it is better to set the crossover and phase in the app and forget it. Keep the roon control separate from the KEF controls. After all Roon does not see the subs as separate controllable devices.

The first LS50w was pretty good but it was buggy. Sometimes the units had to be power cycled. Sometimes the app needed to be deleted and reinstalled. Even support would ask you to do so.

Someone else would have to answer about the LS50W2. I hear that many things have been improved.

If everything works as advertised, beyond the set up teething pains, then I would guess that it offers everything a Sonos system would.

yummie

I used the LS50WII’s for almost two years without any issues you have faced. The difference is I used wired connections both for the internet and between the speakers. eArc works as it should and before the roon certification I used AirPlay & Chromecast without problems. I still use Chromecast form time to time with Deezer. Still no problems. Version II has a very solid streaming platform in my experience. It was not the same with first versions.

Cheers

Yaman

Reactions: TSX

Haslar

I used the LS50WII’s for almost two years without any issues you have faced. The difference is I used wired connections both for the internet and between the speakers. eArc works as it should and before the roon certification I used AirPlay & Chromecast without problems. I still use Chromecast form time to time with Deezer. Still no problems. Version II has a very solid streaming platform in my experience. It was not the same with first versions.

Cheers

Yaman

I have the exact same experience with mine.

Top Bottom