• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef Ls50 vs Q600c as center channel

Met4L

Hi guys,
I have 2 ls50 as front channels of my home theather and now its time to choose the center channel.
I have the opportunity to buy a single kef ls50 at 350€ or a kef Q600c at 350€.

What do you think will be better as central channel taking in consideration that my room is 18m^2 .

Actually i have 2 mono class d amps for fronts and a Denon x3400h av receiver for to pilot center and sorrounds.

I have to consider also other speakers ?

Actually im oriented for the single ls50 but im not sure.. i need your help!

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Do you mean 600 or 650?

Erin reviewed the 650 here, and it is not terrible, considering the competition in the center channel space.

The real question is, what trade-offs are you willing to make?

The LS50 has a smoother frequency response and better directivity. It has fewer resonances in its cabinet and port design. It has a lower sensitivity, lower max SPL, and less bass extension.

The Q650 has some issues with its frequency response, but exhibits good directivity for its configuration. It has higher sensitivity, higher max SPL, and lower bass extension.

I had 3 LS50s across the front in my small home theater for many years, and was very satisfied with that setup. They were crossed at 90Hz with 2 subs. I never tried one of KEF's dedicated centers, so I cannot comment on any subjective difference.

Based on what I see in the measurements and my personal experience, I would go with another LS50. It is not a perfect solution, but it is a very high quality speaker. The Q series simply does not compare with the LS series nor R series in my opinion.

OP
M

Met4L

The center is the previous version , kef q600c.

Thanks for response, im pretty sure to go for another ls50 as central speaker after your response. Thanks very much.

Top Bottom