• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 (V1) Vs KEF LSX For nearfield desktop use

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LS50 Metas seem to be pretty competitive no?
Yes absolutely they appear to be fantastic for what they do, but perhaps I misinterpret OP as looking for a set of two active speakers that won’t require dual subwoofers just to be capable of a reasonable amount of bass.

The LS50 Meta measurements I’ve seen would indicate they are very competitive when combined with at least two subwoofers, as a less expensive alternate to Genelec coaxials (if you’re okay with the KEF’s narrower beam width). But the LS50 Meta start rolling off bass heavily below 100hz, which is simply not acceptable as a self-contained system IMO since you won’t even be able to reproduce some notes of some instruments without severe attenuation. And as a result of this, you’ll have to cross over your subwoofers at 120hz or so (though some owners have even reported them straining to play loud, even when subwoofers are crossed over this high, so might require a crossover as high as 200hz). Due to such a high crossover, not only do you require two subwoofers to prevent seriously localized bass, but have essentially entered amateur speaker design territory since getting the crossover and phase perfect here is not exactly trivial.

So for example, a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless 2 costs $2500USD, which is about the same as a pair of Genelec 8040B’s. The latter has a 6.5” woofer vs the KEF LS50’s cited 5.25” one which is actually going to be closer to the displacement of a 4” since it’s concentric around the inner tweeter, of course. So by the laws of physics, there is simply no way the LS50 can play reasonably deep bass at reasonably healthy volumes (at least nowhere near the capabilities of a Genelec 8040B) without serious bass distortion issues.

The Genelec 8040B should still measure excellently (though they’re not coaxial) and better in some ways (much wider beam width), and should be able to effortlessly hit the deepest bass notes for the majority of most instruments without a subwoofer, and should be capable of doing so at reasonable levels without being overwhelmed with distortion or risk damaging the speakers.

The LS50 Wireless 2 has an EQ mode that claims to extend as deep as the Genelec 8040B, but again you cannot defy the laws of physics and the reports of these speakers straining to play loud without serious distortion and potential risk of damage is going to hold true no matter what digital EQ the LS50 Wireless uses to boost bass; hence this will only be useful at relatively low SPLs.

If we accept the addition of dual subwoofers with a very high crossover, then yes the KEF LS50 Meta + subs look fantastic and may actually be one of the best “deals” out there to get close to (but not quite as good as) Genelec coaxial quality at a fraction of the price. So I’m not trying to dismiss the LS50 Metas; they look like great speakers with a lot of potential, but without dual subs integrated expertly, Genelec (or Neumann) is likely to sound far better overall for the same or less price.

If you’re willing to add subs later and set up your own amps and DSP, yeah I think the LS50 Meta would be a fantastic starting point to build a nearly state of the art sound system for an affordable price. But it will require a fair bit of tinkering and upgrades via adding subwoofers. The LS50 Wireless II is IMO not worth the higher cost for what you get.

Last edited:

TK750

Yes absolutely they appear to be fantastic for what they do, but perhaps I misinterpret OP as looking for a set of two active speakers that won’t require dual subwoofers just to be capable of a reasonable amount of bass.

The LS50 Meta measurements I’ve seen would indicate they are very competitive when combined with at least two subwoofers, as a less expensive alternate to Genelec coaxials (if you’re okay with the KEF’s narrower beam width). But the LS50 Meta start rolling off bass heavily below 100hz, which is simply not acceptable as a self-contained system IMO since you won’t even be able to reproduce some notes of some instruments without severe attenuation. And as a result of this, you’ll have to cross over your subwoofers at 120hz or so (though some owners have even reported them straining to play loud, even when subwoofers are crossed over this high, so might require a crossover as high as 200hz). Due to such a high crossover, not only do you require two subwoofers to prevent seriously localized bass, but have essentially entered amateur speaker design territory since getting the crossover and phase perfect here is not exactly trivial.

So for example, a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless 2 costs $2500USD, which is about the same as a pair of Genelec 8040B’s. The latter has a 6.5” woofer vs the KEF LS50’s cited 5.25” one which is actually going to be closer to the displacement of a 4” since it’s concentric around the inner tweeter, of course. So by the laws of physics, there is simply no way the LS50 can play reasonably deep bass at reasonably healthy volumes (at least nowhere near the capabilities of a Genelec 8040B) without serious bass distortion issues.

The Genelec 8040B should still measure excellently (though they’re not coaxial) and better in some ways (much wider beam width), and should be able to effortlessly hit the deepest bass notes for the majority of most instruments without a subwoofer, and should be capable of doing so at reasonable levels without being overwhelmed with distortion or risk damaging the speakers.

The LS50 Wireless 2 has an EQ mode that claims to extend as deep as the Genelec 8040B, but again you cannot defy the laws of physics and the reports of these speakers straining to play loud without serious distortion and potential risk of damage is going to hold true no matter what digital EQ the LS50 Wireless uses to boost bass; hence this will only be useful at relatively low SPLs.

If we accept the addition of dual subwoofers with a very high crossover, then yes the KEF LS50 Meta + subs look fantastic and may actually be one of the best “deals” out there to get close to (but not quite as good as) Genelec coaxial quality at a fraction of the price. So I’m not trying to dismiss the LS50 Metas; they look like great speakers with a lot of potential, but without dual subs integrated expertly, Genelec (or Neumann) is likely to sound far better overall for the same or less price.

If you’re willing to add subs later and set up your own amps and DSP, yeah I think the LS50 Meta would be a fantastic starting point to build a nearly state of the art sound system for an affordable price. But it will require a fair bit of tinkering and upgrades via adding subwoofers. The LS50 Wireless II is IMO not worth the higher cost for what you get.

Sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear. I wasn't really commenting with reference to the original question/problem, I just purely wanted to point out that I think the Metas can be added to the R3 as competitive. That's all =]

OP
D

dan2021

Thanks for all the input. I have a Kube 10 subwoofer spare to use for this system too btw.

If I go Genelec, Any opinion on which Genelecs to consider?

Kervel

Forum Donor
Given you have a sub already, integrating it with Kef ls50 wireless is very easy as I understand they allow for low pass for the sub and highpass to the speakers. For genelecs, or Kef passives, it's tricky to do bass management and thus integrating a sub.

ZRMN995

This is my desk with monitor shelf which will soon be replaced with shorter one, 1/3 of the current length.
That said, it leaves room on both sides for some speakers.
I've set my mind on LS50 metas on isoacoustics + lyngdorf tdai1120
Behind me is bookshelf which will be stacked
How does that combo feel for yall?
IMG_2835.jpeg

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Will be a nice set up but with a CAD $5500 budget (CAD$1800 speakers and CAD$3700 amp) there are a lot of option available to you for an excellent (read objectively better) near field system…

ZRMN995

Will be a nice set up but with a CAD $5500 budget (CAD$1800 speakers and CAD$3700 amp) there are a lot of option available to you for an excellent (read objectively better) near field system…
I kinda adore LS50 meta's and since they lost place in my living room I thought of placing them here

YSC

Major Contributor
I am tempted to tell you to get a pair of 8331 for nearfield as I get similar foot print 8030C for this sized desktop use.....

IMO in nearfield, coaxial so KEF or the ones will perform best, better if you would do EQ to tame the very close proximity to the front wall for bass modes, if you do, with coaxials IMO the lower it goes the better, you arn't going to get imaging issue with all of these

Kervel

Forum Donor
I had LS50 V1 on my desk; worked and looked great. I used a Minidsp 2x4 hd for integration with a sub which was a significant improvement.
In my opinion, the lyngdorf seems a bit expensive for the features you will actually use from it. For example, your PC could also do room correction and volume control. So a simple 300USD amp with usb input suffices.

ZRMN995

I had LS50 V1 on my desk; worked and looked great. I used a Minidsp 2x4 hd for integration with a sub which was a significant improvement.
In my opinion, the lyngdorf seems a bit expensive for the features you will actually use from it. For example, your PC could also do room correction and volume control. So a simple 300USD amp with usb input suffices.
Could you or somebody else recommend a good amp for my use (would also like to add sub somewhere down the line).

You seem to have a good point with lyngdorf not being used to its full potential...

Last edited:

ZRMN995

Or maybe I'd go with active version LS50 Wireless II/KEF LSX II to remove the need for amp from the game..
Does anyone have any experience with one of those speakers being really close to the front wall?

Kervel

Forum Donor
Or maybe I'd go with active version LS50 Wireless II/KEF LSX II to remove the need for amp from the game..
Does anyone have any experience with one of those speakers being really close to the front wall?
Both sound like great options for a desktop, and can incorporate a sub by digitally setting the cross over!

pjn

I'm using LSX IIs with an SVS sub as a desktop system - sounds fabulous

Top Bottom