• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 (V1) Vs KEF LSX For nearfield desktop use

dan2021

Due to the release of the wireless version 2, the local price of the version 1 has crashed in my country and is very close to the price of the LSX now.

Can I ask, for a desktop computer setup (will be used with a Kube 10b subwoofer that I already have), which would be the better option?

The LS50 is still ~30% more expensive but I don't mind paying for either. The LS50 2 is too expensive, don't want to pay so much for a desktop setup.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice!

Hon

The LS50 (wireless?) is too big for your desk. The LSX is cuter and more colorful (avoid the white) and will sound fine. I have the green ones, and they go very nicely with my teak dresser. Don't get too concerned about the "meta" distinction. It almost rhymes with "Smetana" (the composer. not the sour cream), so you might want to give a listen to The Bartered Bride if you're concerned--very engaging. Bartered Bride

Last edited:

zorak950

I love the LS50Ws, but I think you'll be happier with the LSX in a nearfield desktop setup; you'll have more space, they'll look nicer, and some people have even said they prefer the LSX sound in nearfield.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Due to the release of the wireless version 2, the local price of the version 1 has crashed in my country and is very close to the price of the LSX now.

Can I ask, for a desktop computer setup (will be used with a Kube 10b subwoofer that I already have), which would be the better option?

The LS50 is still ~30% more expensive but I don't mind paying for either. The LS50 2 is too expensive, don't want to pay so much for a desktop setup.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice!
Welcome Aboard @dan2021.

OP
D

dan2021

Thanks for the input. I have enough space for either on my desk and my monitor is pretty large. A 32 inch monitor and my desk is a pretty large L shaped one.

So if size/space constraints are not an issue, do you all think the LS50W would be a better buy than the LSX? I have to say when I demo'd them in store, I preferred the LS50. but it was of course tested in unrealistic conditions where I was quite a bit further from the speakers than in a desk setup

zorak950

Thanks for the input. I have enough space for either on my desk and my monitor is pretty large. A 32 inch monitor and my desk is a pretty large L shaped one.

So if size/space constraints are not an issue, do you all think the LS50W would be a better buy than the LSX? I have to say when I demo'd them in store, I preferred the LS50. but it was of course tested in unrealistic conditions where I was quite a bit further from the speakers than in a desk setup
I wouldn't say they're a better buy from an objective standpoint, but if you prefer them then I say go for it: you should get something you want to have.

YSC

Major Contributor
I was considering these speakers when I decided to go with active monitors instead. I ended up with Genelecs. I think in the nearfield they're much better and cost a lot less.
that's how I go too, but then you will need to get separate dac and without the wireless where quite some ppl will want.

Butter

I have LS50 v1 on small stands on my medium-large desk and I love it. Pro-ject Prebox 2 fed from Roon Rock, into a minidsp and Schiit Aegir. SVS sub, but even before I had the sub, the sound is very enjoyable near-field. I would vote for the LS50 over LSX, but it's only based on me enjoying these LS50s for over 6 years now.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LS50 (I) wireless doesn’t have Airplay, so “wireless” is really a misnomer. That’s probably why they have no resale. The company made a baffling choice - so bad there’s a super defensive blurb in their marketing literature attempting to justify it - and the results are what they are.

LSX and LS50 II are actually wireless.

brandall10

I was considering these speakers when I decided to go with active monitors instead. I ended up with Genelecs. I think in the nearfield they're much better and cost a lot less.

I own both the LS50W (v1) and the LSX. After 4 years of use the LS50W were recently replaced w/ Burchardt A500, the LSX have been my bedroom system for the past year.

I absolutely would go w/ Genelecs for a nearfield/computer setup. The Kefs sound nice and measure decently enough, but their appeal is largely the wireless/streaming features. The fact that I can airplay from my phone to my LSX while lying in my bed at night and have them be completely unobtrusive and look awesome with my decor is their value. They sound better than the Muso they replaced.

But for desktop use it's a no-brainer - the Genelecs are in a completely different performance bracket.

zorak950

I've been confining my comments to the original question, but since it's come up twice now: I don't have any personal experience with Genelec, but if they're like other studio monitors I've heard they'll be especially unforgiving of low-res and badly mastered music files. Be sure that's what you want.

The deeper truth here is that with the LS50W and LSX you're paying for a lot of tech that could be redundant if they're going to spend their entire lives plugged into a computer: these aren't just speakers, they're also a wireless streaming board and DAC with app control. In other words, the cost of them includes a lot of stuff that, in your use case, may not actually contribute to the listening experience. They're also much more complex, which means they have a lot more potential failure points.

Last edited:

brandall10

While it's outside the specific scope of the original question, it's more inline with the philosophy of this forum - which is important considering we're responding to a new member. And it's generally disagreed that a perfectly flat speaker is going to render poorly mastered material poorly - Amir put that to rest in his various reviews in Genelec speakers here. That's going to be from a wonky on-axis FR, which many nearfields do have.

I'm giving my two cents as the owner of both the speakers in question so it certainly is in scope from that standpoint, esp. as there are cost competitive options.

zorak950

...it's generally disagreed that a perfectly flat speaker is going to render poorly mastered material poorly
I'm not talking about comparative FR: the KEFs have their own DAC and auto-EQ. I don't think there's much debate that the Genelecs win out in purity of sound, but that's because they're designed to give you that and only that: analog into the back and straight out of the front. The KEFs are a completely different and much more complicated beast. I don't know whether that's good or bad in this case, I'm just providing additional information since other products have been brought into the discussion.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
I'm not talking about comparative FR: the KEFs have their own DAC and auto-EQ. I don't think there's much debate that the Genelecs win out in purity of sound, but that's because they're designed to give you that and only that: analog into the back and straight out of the front. The KEFs are a completely different and much more complicated beast. I don't know whether that's good or bad in this case, I'm just providing additional information since other products have been brought into the discussion.
And in some cases when more than 1 ppl are usual listener a point source is sometimes more forgiving in sweet spot. The LS50s are more for casual back home drop into sofa and stream your album for relaxing, and can quickly turn into a gaming or tv speaker when you settled.

genelecs are better speaker objectively but you need a whole setup for pc to properly and easily control volume and source select, better for a desktop geek station or mixer use

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And in some cases when more than 1 ppl are usual listener a point source is sometimes more forgiving in sweet spot. The LS50s are more for casual back home drop into sofa and stream your album for relaxing, and can quickly turn into a gaming or tv speaker when you settled.

genelecs are better speaker objectively but you need a whole setup for pc to properly and easily control volume and source select, better for a desktop geek station or mixer use
Not true. Digital input Genelecs (or Neumann etc.) are extremely easy and simple to cleanly connect to a PC. All it takes is a single $20 USB->SPDIF adapter and $10 for an RCA->XLR and XLR->XLR cable, and you are done.

Analog-only input Genelecs/Neumanns/etc. are nearly as easy but yes you’ll want an external preamp DAC for those, which can be more expensive and requires more wires. But it’s not fair to compare an analog Genelec to a digital KEF, so this case isn’t even relevant.

They don’t just win in some notion of purity. Similarly priced Genelec’s are a league better than KEF LS50 Wireless, in all regards, period. This is reflected in the measurements and my personal experience.

The R3 might have a shot competing with similarly priced Genelecs, but not if you are looking for compact performance or an active speaker because the R3 is a large bookshelf. Other than the R3, I really don’t think anything from KEF is particularly competitive right now vs alternates.

The only reason to buy them is if you’re really attached to the aesthetics. Which is fine. But let’s not pretend buying a KEF LS50W or LSX is gonna get you the best performance for the price and form factor — because it’s just not. Genelec and Neumann will. But, it is understandable that prices may vary in different countries and this may tip the price-performance ratio balance somewhat, in some cases.

The LS50 (wireless?) is too big for your desk. The LSX is cuter and more colorful (avoid the white) and will sound fine. I have the green ones, and they go very nicely with my teak dresser.
I couldn’t disagree more. Saying that a compact tiny speaker like the LS50 is too big for their desk is as absurd as me saying your LSX is comically undersized for any serious audiophile, and that mixing green with teak is hideous and appallingly tasteless. In other words, I would be wrong to project my aesthetic preferences onto someone else I know nothing about, who may have very different yet subjectively valid aesthetic preferences.

Concretely: What size speaker is appropriate for someone’s desk aesthetically is entirely subjective. Objectively, bigger is almost always better. Personally I find my Genelec 8351B’s to be the perfect size desktop speakers for me both subjectively (looks amazing) and objectively (SPL and bass capabilities), and yet they make the LS50 look tiny in comparison. So clearly your aesthetic taste does not match mine, and that’s ok. But similarly we should not assume OP has a strong preference one way or another, or that because you prefer smaller or I prefer larger that we should push our subjective preferences here on the OP.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Low hiss active studio monitors for near field is the way to go IMO. I'm pretty happy with my Adam A3Xs, Genelecs or Newmann are supposedly better, but cost more too.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not true. Digital input Genelecs (or Neumann etc.) are extremely easy and simple to cleanly connect to a PC. All it takes is a single $20 USB->SPDIF adapter and $10 for an RCA->XLR and XLR->XLR cable, and you are done.

That might work for a single purpose streamer box or a dedicated DAW workstation, but leaving the volume control in the hands of software running on a general purpose computer is quite a gamble. You never know when something is going to misbehave and blast you at 0dBfs.

External hardware volume control is always advisable with any system capable of of significant SPL.

TK750

Analog-only input Genelecs/Neumanns/etc. are nearly as easy but yes you’ll want an external preamp DAC for those, which can be more expensive and requires more wires. But it’s not fair to compare an analog Genelec to a digital KEF, so this case isn’t even relevant.

They don’t just win in some notion of purity. Similarly priced Genelec’s are a league better than KEF LS50 Wireless, in all regards, period. This is reflected in the measurements and my personal experience.

The R3 might have a shot competing with similarly priced Genelecs, but not if you are looking for compact performance or an active speaker because the R3 is a large bookshelf. Other than the R3, I really don’t think anything from KEF is particularly competitive right now vs alternates.

The only reason to buy them is if you’re really attached to the aesthetics. Which is fine. But let’s not pretend buying a KEF LS50W or LSX is gonna get you the best performance for the price and form factor — because it’s just not. Genelec and Neumann will. But, it is understandable that prices may vary in different countries and this may tip the price-performance ratio balance somewhat, in some cases.

I couldn’t disagree more. Saying that a compact tiny speaker like the LS50 is too big for their desk is as absurd as me saying your LSX is comically undersized for any serious audiophile, and that mixing green with teak is hideous and appallingly tasteless. In other words, I would be wrong to project my aesthetic preferences onto someone else I know nothing about, who may have very different yet subjectively valid aesthetic preferences.

Concretely: What size speaker is appropriate for someone’s desk aesthetically is entirely subjective. Objectively, bigger is almost always better. Personally I find my Genelec 8351B’s to be the perfect size desktop speakers for me both subjectively (looks amazing) and objectively (SPL and bass capabilities), and yet they make the LS50 look tiny in comparison. So clearly your aesthetic taste does not match mine, and that’s ok. But similarly we should not assume OP has a strong preference one way or another, or that because you prefer smaller or I prefer larger that we should push our subjective preferences here on the OP.

The LS50 Metas seem to be pretty competitive no?

Top Bottom