• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef LS50 OG for 475€ - a steal or still overpriced?

MDZPNMD

So I was looking for some new speakers sub 1000 € in the EU and kinda settled on the LS50.

I liked their sound last time I heard them and they are currently on sale for 475 € a pair on son video in France because the slightly better and improved LS50 Meta got released.

My short question now, should I get them to replace(move to my desk) some Adam T5Vs or are their better options for the money in your opinion?

Thanks for the help as always

Edit: added the shop and some info

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've owned these several times and always enjoyed them. I always paid more than your quote, and still thought I got great value for them. For that price, I'd probably buy them again, even though I've finally sold off all the extra pairs that I had. I can't speak to if there's something "better"... but those are good speakers and worth more than that price, imo... even though Amir didn't like them much. Good luck with whatever you choose.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great price. Especially if you're doing a home theater and need surrounds or overheads or even a center you can turn on its side without screwing up its polar response.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've owned these several times and always enjoyed them. I always paid more than your quote, and still thought I got great value for them. For that price, I'd probably buy them again, even though I've finally sold off all the extra pairs that I had. I can't speak to if there's something "better"... but those are good speakers and worth more than that price, imo... even though Amir didn't like them much. Good luck with whatever you choose.

He did recommend them. He just thought they weren't capable of loud bass. Well, I guess they wouldn't be.

/Oops that was the Meta.

bodhi

Forum Donor
What makes you think that the LS50 would be worthy upgrade to T5Vs? The latter seem to be very good speakers, what kind of an improvement you are after? Is it something you can show in the measurements of the two speakers?

I would not take that sidegrade and would save the money for something more substantial later. Something like R3, M106 or one of the other usual suspects. Or a subwoofer. Or some room correction by minidsp.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor

He did recommend them. He just thought they weren't capable of loud bass. Well, I guess they wouldn't be.
Those are the Metas that you linked and that he liked. He was more luke warm on the non Meta version. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-ls50-bookshelf-speaker-review.11144/

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW:

jae

Major Contributor
Good price. Compare with alternatives like Polk R200, Kali LP-6v2 or maybe get lucky finding used KH 80? The first two will have more bass.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I'd grab a pair at that price immediately if available in the US. All I can find online for that price here are scratch and dent (deep scratch and big dent, to be honest.)

OP
M

MDZPNMD

What makes you think that the LS50 would be worthy upgrade to T5Vs? The latter seem to be very good speakers, what kind of an improvement you are after? Is it something you can show in the measurements of the two speakers?

I would not take that sidegrade and would save the money for something more substantial later. Something like R3, M106 or one of the other usual suspects. Or a subwoofer. Or some room correction by minidsp.
I'm mainly looking to replace the T5Vs so I can use them at my desk again and use the LS50s for the living room hooked up to my denon.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I see. The same complaint about bass, though.
Gotcha. I didn't share that widely held view... but I don't have an AP, a trained ear or the background that Amir does... so I'd take his response over mine... but if I needed a $500 pair of bookshelves... I'd probably get these again. Making good deals on the front end ($500), allowed me to sell them without any significant loss later. They always sold fast also, which is always nice, not to have to grind out a sale.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotcha. I didn't share that widely held view... but I don't have an AP, a trained ear or the background that Amir does... so I'd take his response over mine... but if I needed a $500 pair of bookshelves... I'd probably get these again. Making good deals on the front end ($500), allowed me to sell them without any significant loss later. They always sold fast also, which is always nice, not to have to grind out a sale.
As for me, I bet I'd like the driver...as a midrange.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I'd grab a pair at that price immediately if available in the US. All I can find online for that price here are scratch and dent (deep scratch and big dent, to be honest.)
Yup, for $500 you get scratch and dent... for $700 you can find pristine (original LS50)... has been my consistent observation from my classified ad addiction... and 3 or 4 pairs of these that I've owned.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I like their sound and they are currently on sale for 475 € a pair because the slightly better and improved LS50 Meta got released.

Where have you found them at that price, if I can ask?

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I wouldn't post it here either... lol... at least not until after I bought them.

OP
M

MDZPNMD

Where have you found them at that price, if I can ask?

son video in france, I've been fighting scammers and closing their accounts on ebay kleinanzeigen for a week now until someone within the community send me the link there

Edit: Would also be willing to help you get them to you but customs and taxes would probably make it unviable

OP
M

MDZPNMD

This is good advise, I'm eyeing the R3 for some time now too but my SO would kill me.

They are probably the upgrade plan after selling some old stuff.
I just need a second pair of speakers right now that don't break the bank so I can use the T5Vs back at my desk again after moving.

bodhi

Forum Donor
This is good advise, I'm eyeing the R3 for some time now too but my SO would kill me.

They are probably the upgrade plan after selling some old stuff.
I just need a second pair of speakers right now that don't break the bank so I can use the T5Vs back at my desk again after moving.

Understandable. I have better speakers on desktop than in living room myself. :)

In that situation cheap LS50 works great. And after all, they also look much better than most speakers.

Top Bottom