• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 meta vs LS50 Wireless II

harkpabst

I am very biased here because the TDAI-1120, a pair of LS50 Meta and two subs is what I ended up with. So whatever I say, take it with a grain of salt.

From my point of view your decision was plain right. LS50 Wireless II are a superb integrated system, but the only slight advantage they have over your current setup is the ability to turn on phase correction between tweeter and mid-woofer (if you can live with the delay caused by this). It's definitely not worth it.

Regardless of EQ setting LS50 Wireless II will always need one sub (at least) for more than moderate listening levels. Their flexibility for sub integration is above average but not at the same level as Lyngdorf's output configuration. They also lack the ability to add custom EQ settings (separately for mains and subs) and the convenience of up the 32 (I think) freely customizable voicings which can even be assigned to individual inputs. Finally, they lack any form of room correction which is where the Lyngdorf shines anyway.

If you ever feel you are missing something from your setup simply follow the Lyngdorf path. Place the Metas close to the front wall, get two Lyngdorf subs and place them into the front corners, cross them at 200 Hz LR4, roughly match the sub level and let RoomPerfect do the rest. You will be surprised how clean the Metas sound when freed from any bass duties. Forget about the in-built amps.

Can't touch that overall level with the LS50 Wireless II. Maybe LS60 Wireless can. Have to wait and see (but even then they won't be what I need).

Descartes

Major Contributor
I am very biased here because the TDAI-1120, a pair of LS50 Meta and two subs is what I ended up with. So whatever I say, take it with a grain of salt.

From my point of view your decision was plain right. LS50 Wireless II are a superb integrated system, but the only slight advantage they have over your current setup is the ability to turn on phase correction between tweeter and mid-woofer (if you can live with the delay caused by this). It's definitely not worth it.

Regardless of EQ setting LS50 Wireless II will always need one sub (at least) for more than moderate listening levels. Their flexibility for sub integration is above average but not at the same level as Lyngdorf's output configuration. They also lack the ability to add custom EQ settings (separately for mains and subs) and the convenience of up the 32 (I think) freely customizable voicings which can even be assigned to individual inputs. Finally, they lack any form of room correction which is where the Lyngdorf shines anyway.

If you ever feel you are missing something from your setup simply follow the Lyngdorf path. Place the Metas close to the front wall, get two Lyngdorf subs and place them into the front corners, cross them at 200 Hz LR4, roughly match the sub level and let RoomPerfect do the rest. You will be surprised how clean the Metas sound when freed from any bass duties. Forget about the in-built amps.

Can't touch that overall level with the LS50 Wireless II. Maybe LS60 Wireless can. Have to wait and see (but even then they won't be what I need).
Lyngdorf is so expensive!!

harkpabst

Lyngdorf is so expensive!!
In general, yes. Concerning the TDAI-1120, not at all. You get an excellent power-amp, pre-amp, streamer, digital crossover, room correction system including precision microphone, mic cable and mic stand as well as a truly remarkable phono stage (moving magnet only, admittedly) for the price of any one or maybe two of comparable standalone boxes. And all that from a company showing a great record of supporting their products for a very long time.

Roughly two grand is not cheap, for sure. But I bet my very own ass that this little amp driving e.g. cheap fullrange DIY speakers based e.g. on the Dayton Audio RS-100 and some el cheapo sub will outperform many other setups, it you know how to use REW and how to apply a custom EQ.

Speaking of subs, Lyngdorf subwoofers aren't exactly cheap, either. True. But you don't have to add them from the start. And if you do you can start with a single one and let yourself surprise by the unexpected benefits of stereo pair later on. They are not intended for HT enthusiasts but they are well worth their money.

Last edited:

MNMLSM

did somebody listen to both versions?
Currently thinking about which one would be the better choice?
The wireless version is exactly double the price.

For the Meta I would buy/search a powerful mini-DAC/Amp combo, which can be placed on the desk.

Distance is about 90cm, I would use them on my desk.

Top Bottom