• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef LS50 meta (+ sub + Benchmark AHB2) or Genelec 8331a (+ sub)

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The big problem I found with the ls50 is how high you have to go with the subs. Definitely needed 2 colocated with the speakers over 120Hz. This does not work on a desktop, i preferred Kali's.

jonfitch

KEF has about 10 degrees narrower dispersion in the high frequency range, and it also has somewhat less energy in the lower mids. Will sound in general more laid back than the Genelecs.

Streamc

I own the Metas and jave an SB 2000, so I am biased. I also drive them with a Purifi Eigentact which I think is a far better buy than the Benchmark. If you go the Meta route, I would suggest you buy a miniDSP Flex and the VTV Purifi Eigentact for equal or less money than the Benchmark. An SB 2000 Pro is not that much bigger than the SB 1000 and will pair more readily with anything else you might want to use in the future.
You mean 7040 of course? I like 400 but 7040 can handle resistive load with proportional output in watts down to 2Ohms.

mkt

+1 for the 7350 with the 8331s.

avanti1960

If you would like a natural sounding speaker that sounds quite a bit like real music check out the MoFi LS3/5a or any used LS3/5a monitors on the market. Complete the system with some iso acoustics desktop stands and a sub of your choice and smile everytime you play music.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649863827-falcon-acoustics-ls35a/

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you would like a natural sounding speaker that sounds quite a bit like real music check out the MoFi LS3/5a or any used LS3/5a monitors on the market. Complete the system with some iso acoustics desktop stands and a sub of your choice and smile everytime you play music.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649863827-falcon-acoustics-ls35a/
I owned the OG Roger's LS 3/5a's from 1977 to 1993. I remember them as far more closed down than the either LS 50 (I own both the OG LS 50's and the Metas). The vocals were lovely, but they were more colored particularly in the lower midrange (that bump!) and the upper mids as well. Narrower and far less smoth directivity than even the LS 50's.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned the Chartwell version from the late 70’s to the 2k.
Far to near field, hard to drive, and coloured.
Though despite their flaws I have fond memories.

lc155

Dissenting opinion: Genelecs will hiss at desktop distances easily, and if you are easily bothered by it, it will drive you insane.

No worries about that with the KEFs.

OP
rillettes

rillettes

lc155

That's quite surprising, given the distances Genelec recommends (https://images.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn...240c3946/correct-monitors-spl-chart.jpg?w=930).
Is this from personal experience, or is it reported somewhere ?

Personal experience with an 8030C. Could easily notice the hissing during quiet parts of songs.

This *may* not be an issue with the Ones, as Genelec told me via GLM you can set the speakers to -20dB or so instead of the 6dB only possible on the 8030C. (would have to dig out the emails) which should reduce the hiss massively, but I have never tested it out myself so would need input from someone who has them and can try this to verify what the engineers were saying.

Actives are a good idea, but until more companies take the hissing issues seriously, there is merit to passive systems.

OP
rillettes

rillettes

@lc155 What input are you using, and what controls the volume ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but an amp is not hissing because it's at full power, otherwise all amps would do that (an integrated amplifier is just a power amp at full power, and a preamp section in the same box). A Benchmark AHB2 + Kef LS50 would hiss as well, etc.

lc155

@lc155 What input are you using, and what controls the volume ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but an amp is not hissing because it's at full power, otherwise all amps would do that (an integrated amplifier is just a power amp at full power, and a preamp section in the same box). A Benchmark AHB2 + Kef LS50 would hiss as well, etc.

I was using a Motu M2, doesn't matter because that was just acting as a DAC and the 8030c has its own internal amp as an active speaker.

Back in the day I had a NAD D3045 with an LS50, and it had *zero* hiss, hiss through passive amplifiers is not something you would expect unless your ear was right against the tweeter. There is no comparison here. Active speakers are definitely worse with hiss at all volume levels because they run the internal amps flat out and there's nothing you can do about it.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Kef LS50 Meta is a full range coaxial. As good as it might measure on statical testtones, its technically a big compromise because of the modulation the cone does to the tweeter, acting as a variable waveguide when playing bass at the same time the drummer hits the cymbals. A driver like this done right, must be crossed steeply at 300 Hz or higher to avoid this problem, like its done in the 8330.

Two stereo subwoofers with the Metas does things a lot better, but has a problem because you cant cross them higher than about 100 Hz if the subs are at floor level. The distance from subs to Meta drivers will be to long if they are crossed at 300 Hz.

The other thing about the Meta is that its a passive loudspeaker, and you already know my opinion on that.
Why would someone buy a passive loudspeaker for 2000 dollars in 2022 ? A correct dsp crossover sound so much better….

Last edited:
OP
rillettes

rillettes

hiss through passive amplifiers is not something you would expect
tbh passive amplifiers aren't something I expect either :D

Back on topic, I strongly believe that in your case the hiss was coming from the MOTU. And if I go the Genelec route, I plan to use its digital input so noise from an analog input won't be a problem (or worst case, if I use an external DAC, it'll have to be at the same SNR levels, i.e. inaudible whatsoever).

lc155

tbh passive amplifiers aren't something I expect either :D

Back on topic, I strongly believe that in your case the hiss was coming from the MOTU. And if I go the Genelec route, I plan to use its digital input so noise from an analog input won't be a problem (or worst case, if I use an external DAC, it'll have to be at the same SNR levels, i.e. inaudible whatsoever).

It doesn't sound like you want to listen, or fully understand. The hiss was nothing coming from the MOTU, it's a completely silent DAC. Genelecs are known for hissing, and the hiss was present even when there was no source plugged in. Ergo, the hiss was inherent to the Genelecs. This is a common feature of actives regardless of their input, and there is a thread on this forum that categorises them by a hiss list.

It's the Genelcs, full stop. Now you can either believe me when I say they hiss, and it's up to you whether it bothers you or not (and it did me), or you can just keep ignoring it, but them's the facts.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dissenting opinion: Genelecs will hiss at desktop distances easily, and if you are easily bothered by it, it will drive you insane.

No worries about that with the KEFs.
I have 8050b's near field and they are silent. No hiss what so ever.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to wonder if age is a factor, because I notice younger people like myself tend to complain about the hiss more, or at least notice it.
I bought and returned a pair of Kali's because of the hiss. The Genelec's are silent. You suggesting the frequency if hiss may be the difference for younger ears?

lc155

I bought and returned a pair of Kali's because of the hiss. The Genelec's are silent. You suggesting the frequency if hiss may be the difference for younger ears?

Maybe, I'm not sure. Genelec's have quoted specs for hiss at a specific distance, and some people are just better able to hear it than others. I spoke at length with Genelec about it, and they concluded that the 8030C just wasn't suitable for me, as I was sensitive to the hiss. Many who find the Genelec hiss offensive end up liking the Neumann KH series, like the 80/120, as those are virtually silent unless your ear is very close to the tweeter.

That's why they suggested The Ones could be an option, as you can turn down the internal amp a lot more via GLM than older models.

Top Bottom